Photo

Strings E And B -acustic12 Strings

Best Answer thorneven , 27 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

It is normal. On any "standard-tuned" 12-string you play in a retail store, you'll hear that the two B strings play the same pitch and the two high E strings play the same pitch.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

I haven't had a chance to work on this issue. What I can tell you is that I could not create the tuning using Variax Workbench.  I didn't try doing it manually using the guitar only so maybe that's the trick.  I just figured if Workbench can't do it, it couldn't be done.  The tuning I'm trying to create is E1/E2, B1/B2, E2/E3, B2/B3, E3/E3, G#3/G#3.  I don't recall on which model I was trying.  Probably the Rick 12-string, bridge pickup.

No, you cannot do this from the Workbench - that's the point.  The Workbench predates the Variax JTV electronics and cannot swizzle any of the new features!  The older model guitars had alternate tuning intertwined with modeling and indeed could not do what you are trying to accomplish.  The JTV has these concepts completely separate.  Just as the built-in Open D will shift all 12 strings of the Rick models (or acoustic) to a what a real 12-string would do, you can "train" it to replace one of the built-in alternate tunings with your desired Open E and do the same.  You do not even need to be in the 12-string model, as the "training" operation works at a very low level.   Warning: It is a bit fussy and I find it can take several tries before it correctly tracks your input!

The procedure is documented in the JTV Pilot's Guide and there's also a short video on the Line 6 website.

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#22 thorneven

thorneven

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Location"Upstate" New York

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Now I understand !  Thanks.

JTV59 cherry sunburst / Vetta 2 / Behringer FCB1010

#23 matthewlangridge

matthewlangridge

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:33 AM

Yer, I've just update my workbench to HD - now my 12 strings guitars aren't able to change the semitones of the individual strings. I was doing an octave LOWER on the low E and A - giving me a bass sound on those 2 notes, good for the music I play, but the new workbench HD won't let me do this!!! Sucks big time.....likely will have to go back to the old workbench, I guess.....

#24 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

I agree that it is a pain that you can only octave or unison, but there is nothing stopping you doing second string Octave Up, and then custom tuning the whole string down an octave

#25 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

If you physically tune any string down an octave it's not going to sound good. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users