#1 pierrebriend

pierrebriend

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

I would like to describe my own experience with LINE6 vs BOSE
My experience is that with my band (6 musicians and singers, Beatles cover), we previously had 4 BOSE model 2 (2 BOSEas front speakers and 2 as monitor) boosted by 2x4 + 2x2 = 12 B1 bass boxes) we used them as a conventionnal PA system, i.e. controlled by a mixer and soundman. Not following BOSE concept with individual system and control, which is an utopia with six musicians, I think.
Recently we moved to M20d + 2xL3t + 3xL2m/t (without L3s) . At the beginning we moved only to the M20d to control the BOSE, but I had good opportunity to buy 2 L3t at a good price, and finally we bought the 3 L2m/t as monitors.
A few weeks ago, we have tested in a medium size room (400seats) the 2 configurations on the same stage with the same sound sources (jazz, poprock and classical)
The conclusion is that the the five musicians participating to the test jury agreed to say that LINE6 sound in color, depth, contrast, and definition was considered "better"
And with the LINE6, we have more power available, but not necessary in a medium size room like this.

In term of capital expense :
LINE6 configuration : 7000 €,
BOSE actual set : 4x3000€ +2000 € + mixer > 14000€ ... any comment?
That's all folks....
I would add that while saying that, I have no commercial link or interest with LINE6 or any other PA manufacturer.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

I thought you'd never ask, Pierre... :lol:

Here's what I wrote at the beginning of 2012, at the time Line 6 announced the first details of their upcoming tiny (for the actual control power) and touchscreen-GUI-based "box of tricks":

"...Is it just me, or do others find that the StageScape M20d is the tangible, real-world realisation of a long-held audio wish list that's hitherto been confined to daydreams?

Since its inception, I've regarded the Bose Tone Match as a "close, but no cigar" starting-point, embedded as it is in a system that polarised/polarises the performance community. We seem to either love it or hate it.

If the M20d works even half as well as Line 6's other products, it'll reduce the Tone Match Engine, along with a whole host of other mixing systems, to mere footnotes in the history of performers' audio.

I'm hoping it's affordable, in other words priced as competitively as Line 6's other gear..."

Have they delivered ?

It would appear that YOU think so.

I know that I do, particularly when it comes to my initial reservations about "bang for buck".

Teething troubles ? You betcha. (In the first few months, largely resolved now.)

...But what would we expect when a totally different new system doesn't just "bend" the old rules, but actually BURNS them ?

#3 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I had a Bose L1 model 2 with 2 bass units and the Bose mixer before and I changed to the M20 + 2 L3Ts.  I play in a duet and I can say that the sound is vastly improved:  more power, more medium-bass, far better sound for the acoustic guitars and the voices but also for the bass + drums we have in mp3 format.  We're very happy we did the move.  We compared the two side by side and the Bose sounded thin and artificial.

#4 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

I also prefer the Line 6 gear to the Bose, incredible sound for modelled guitar/amp setups and direct acoustic and bass guitars.  When Bose came out with the B2 subs to go with their L1 systems it was a huge improvement, a single B2 outperformed 4 of the previous B1s, but a single L3s outperforms 2 B2s hands down.  I don't want to bash the Bose system it was a great system, easy to transport, small footprint, no need for monitors etc.  but there were times that we were really pushing the system and it was at it's limit.  So I was anxious about the fact that if we played anywhere bigger I wouldn't have enough.  With the dream stage PA there's always tons of power on tap, I find that I'm turning down to make things more comfortable for the audience more than I am turning up.  Yes, it's heavier and takes up more space in my car and I'm back to using monitors, but it's still a snap to set up it's a bigger overall sound and it's incredibly flexible if we are playing a smaller gig I can just leave some of the gear at home.  I fact thanks to the FBS, for the smaller venues we can set the mains up behind us and go without monitors.  Truly, I can't say enough about the Line 6 PA gear, they totally nailed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users