Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Overdrive pedals

Mynameismatt

Does anyone else find the overdrive pedals in the POD colour the tone way to much?  I dial in a nice clean/breaking up tone and add one of the drives and its all fizzy and EQ'd all wrong.  I have tried everything the best I find is the screamer but thats still not great...  Any help?

The tube screamer has big mid range boost but that is pretty close to the tone of the original 808s. Part of the reason most people like the Tube screamer really was that EQ it adds. This is generally true with most of the pedals choose in the overdrive/distortion pedals.

To my ears the Tube Drive is the least coloring pedal, althought it indeed alters the EQ some.  The other alternative is not add a Distortion pedal and use the Amp model for the gain instead. Again each one creates there own type of tone, hence the usefullness of modelling technology. Other than adding a EQ after the fact and attempting to EQ it back to your liking getting a real pedal to add to your setup that is more to your liking might be the only other alternative.

Totally agree with the OP

With all the amp models just go an amp that has plenty of gain

But to preserve the tone more add a boost from a compressor.

To me the EQs are the next changers of tone discounting modulation and heavy filters

I'd like to stress how good the amp models sound on their own, very realistic and even the revebs don't seem to shift the tone adversely.

While it is always tempting to add FX I don't like the build up that occurs much anymore.

It has been over a couple of years on the PODHD500 and for me to be starting to get picky with some of the tone is a testiment to how good it is. 

I got good audio engineering and mastering ears and tire of anything that imparts an undesirable digital wash.

Like too many plugins especially heavy compression and limiting ouch.

Anyway the amp modelling is as good as it gets imo and while I love to mic amps in the studio it is not always possible with a personal home studio and living with other people.

That you can then take your studio sound out on the road is a bonus.

Some don't realize how good we got it nowadays!

What a great time to be alive!

• Upvote 2

Does anyone else find the overdrive pedals in the POD colour the tone way to much?  I dial in a nice clean/breaking up tone and add one of the drives and its all fizzy and EQ'd all wrong.  I have tried everything the best I find is the screamer but thats still not great...  Any help?

Have you tried taming them with a volume pedal after one or comp. Or have you tried using the mixer volume and/or a volume pedal after the amp and mixer? I agree they are pretty potent most of the time depending on which amp you use. Volume tools are the key here IMO. Compressors can work but induce noise at the same time.

The amp models vary quite a bit in volume so the mixer is a key tool. Keep in mind that in real life all the different amps have different volumes.

Obviously there's more gibberish involved but I like to look at the amp models and all the effects models as a microscopic image and my job is to hone in on it. Each amp and effect model in the Pod needs to be "honed in on". I look at the Pods Mixer and Volume pedals as the lens on a microscope which allows me to fine tune in essence focusing in on the core tone of the model. In the end it's whatever works. LOL :)

Edited by Brazzy

Totally agree with the OP

With all the amp models just go an amp that has plenty of gain

But to preserve the tone more add a boost from a compressor.

To me the EQs are the next changers of tone discounting modulation and heavy filters

I'd like to stress how good the amp models sound on their own, very realistic and even the revebs don't seem to shift the tone adversely.

While it is always tempting to add FX I don't like the build up that occurs much anymore.

It has been over a couple of years on the PODHD500 and for me to be starting to get picky with some of the tone is a testiment to how good it is. 

I got good audio engineering and mastering ears and tire of anything that imparts an undesirable digital wash.

Like too many plugins especially heavy compression and limiting ouch.

Anyway the amp modelling is as good as it gets imo and while I love to mic amps in the studio it is not always possible with a personal home studio and living with other people.

That you can then take your studio sound out on the road is a bonus.

Totally agree. I have found that less is definitely more with the POD HD. Sure, everyone has a song or two in their set lists which needs a 'non standard' type of tone but my stock tones now just consist of a modelled amp (I run FRFR through an L3) with suitable gain dialled in, maybe a touch of compression then the top row of footswitches set as follows

FS1 drive- to my ears the tube drive is the best followed by the screamer. I don't find any of the other drives usable

FS2 modulation, usually the analogue chorus, occasionally a flanger

FS3 delay, usually the digital delay

FS4 boost- a studio EQ with gain set to +4db

I know it's a crying shame that I only use a handful of the HDs 100+ effects but I find that using this configuration of footswitches coupled with the various HD amp models (and to be honest I only use 6 of those!) I can get more or less any tone I need.

Like bjnette I have been down the road of tone building, with slightly different patches for every song but really guys, life is too short, and in a live situation maybe only 1% of the crowd is gonna notice anyway (different story for recording btw).

Maybe I'm literally tone deaf, or easily pleased, or whatever but a JTV with simple patches from the HD500 going into a Stagesource is awesome!

• Upvote 1

Like bjnette I have been down the road of tone building, with slightly different patches for every song but really guys, life is too short, and in a live situation maybe only 1% of the crowd is gonna notice anyway (different story for recording btw).

+1 totally agree with that sentiment. I have a couple dozen various patches setup but live I mostly just use 4 patches and those four are just different settings on the same patch. Only on some key songs do I actually go to patch made for specifically for a indiivdual artist or song. Now for recording it's a completey different matter.

Absolutely!!

My go to drives are the Screamer and the Tube Drive, really love that Tube Drive.

Rounding it out is the Classic Distortion, it's pretty darn close the first pedal I purchased, the Yamaha DI-10MII

Yeah, You ain't kidding. I've been fortunate to enter into the guitar world after the stomp box era. I've never had to deal with many stomp boxes, wires and amps. Ok, so I have a couple of amps but most of the clutter is in the Pod, and since I never used stomp boxes before I'm not really missing anything.

Did I mention I love the sound I get out of the DT50 Head/DT25 Cab all by itself?!! Amazing capabilities with this stuff. Then If I want to get into it I just plug in the HD500.

Ok, so I've had some growing pains and am still learning how to use computers, digital models of amps/effects, guitars, keyboards and in the turmoil/mix try to find that musical inspiration but that's why it's called a journey.

I've even had a hardware issue with the DT50 but Line 6 took the bull by the horns and fixed it, and I still like the tone and capabilities it has. Thank You Line 6 I'm enjoying that amp right now.

I've got to be truthful, I expected some glitches, 'cause my entire life was full of problems. Problems with mechanical things of all sorts. Thinking hard to figure out whats wrong, why it broke and fabricating a new piece of whatever it is that needs fixing to a better standard. This leads to innovation, which leads to new products, which keeps the coconut juice splashing around that coconut of mine, lol.

Carry On!

Rock On!