Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

opinions needed. hd500x or blackstar id260? I have a dt25 now

tearitupbaby

I sold my hd500 a while ago...been on the fence about getting a used hd500x  and using with my dt25..or selling the dt25 and just getting an id260 amp...I have other tube amps i use like egnater tweeker40 and a nightrain...i had gotten the dt25 for use with the hd500 and it was very interesting but i am wondering if i should go back and start again with the pod hd500x or move on and sell my dt25.....while the dt25 is a good amp on its own i prefer the tweaker..tube to tube amp...I do not play metal..just bluesy/classic rock stuff and not in a bacd...just play at home...I liked the podhd500 but it always seemed fatiguing to my ears and the overdriven amps were kind of 1 dimensional...maybe i need to work harder with them again or maybe i need to move on?????thanx for any ideas or advice....I am looking for real honest opinions..nothing will be perfect and the pod is not crap at all...its just alot of tweaking....thanx

Quite frankly, if you didn't like the 500, you won't like the 500x. 

And my opinion is: 

why bother buying a modeler if you are going to use an amp anyhow. 

So, even though I am an ampless pod user. I'd have to say sell your whatever it was and buy a whatever it was, and just move on from the pods. 

I am sure you know you can load 8 amp/cab configurations at a time in the DT, 4 on each channel.  There are about 30 HD amps to choose from so I suggest you get a good USB to midi cable and use DT Edit to see what's loaded and try all the amp models and swap cab models too.  There is such a huge range of possibilities its hard to think you can't find something that outdoes the other tube amps you own.

If after spending time doing this you find you actually like the DT and want to keep it then it makes sense to get a POD to control it more effectively through L6 link.  So much easier than using DT Edit all the time and you get all the great effects too.  If you decide you love your other tube amps more, sell the DT and use the funds to buy pedals and other gear!

I have the ID15 TVP ( not the 260 ) and it's a great amp for just plugging in and playing. I play through mine pretty much every day - much more than I play through my POD HD Bean.

The fx are basic but pretty good and easy to dial in ( much more control when hooked up to the computer / insider software ) and the tones you can get out of it are pretty " tubey " with good dynamics.

The clean warm/clean bright/crunch and super crunch voicings are all excellent and the OD1/OD2 channels are pretty good, though I don't play much "metal" so haven't spent much time dialling in those two voices.