#21 Crusty_Old_Rocker

Crusty_Old_Rocker

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5112 posts
  • LocationGold Coast - Australia

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

I'll just chime in with this...

Is it happening in the same environment or multiple environments.  Sometimes dirty power from the mains can cause issues.  Fluctuations that occur when air conditioners kick in and out or devices connected to the supply that feed a frequency back into the mains can mess with things.  When gigging, I use a small UPS to smooth out the power supply and to protect from power drops. 

Cheers,

Crusty

#22 JMiller123

JMiller123

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

Been using the DT50/HD500 for about 2 years, but my first post in the forum. I have had several instances where strange things happen. Last night I experienced the volume reducing to nothing several times..the topology flashed up briefly..a reboot did not sort the issue...but it did seem to get less frequent throughout the evening.

On first turning on and tuning up the topology could be seen in the background of the tuner window..a new one.. This went away after a reboot

I have had several cases where I have turned the Dt50 on before the hd500 - resulting in no sound at all.

I now always try to make sure the hd500 is on first...i haven't paid particular attention to the l6 link cable order, but may now start doing so.
I also haven't tried setting everything to zero on the amp...but i have used the tactic of fiddling with the knobs on the amp when it randomly decides you didn't want mids after all.

I do also fear things not working at a gig..but even when i've turned up and it hasn't worked persistent fiddling during setup has got things working again.

Maybe a refirb of the hd500 unit itself wouldn't hurt? My tone bank selection knob is shot after several rides in the car...

I'm glad I'm not alone, but such bugs detract from an otherwise fantastic product.

#23 Stratman82

Stratman82

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Love my gear! Wish there was a dedicated Dream Rig forum. But I don't think this is a dream rig specific observation and question.
Every time I go to crank up my rig (Dt50 2x12, HD500, JTV 69), I hold my breath. Sometimes it works straight away. I plug in, strum a chord and Booya!!! I'm rockin the house!
Other times, no joy! no sound until I turn everything off and restart it all. Sometimes the topologies start switching randomly on the DT until I turn turn everything off and restart.
Sometimes the Pod turns off and restarts on its own. Loud pops every now and then, and other silly, tweaky random stuff

The vast majority of time, I've got no problems, but always in the back of my mind, i am waiting nervously for the day that the reboot doesn't work at all. Worst is, what happens if it happens at a gig! That would get me to cussin' loud and mean!

Does anyone else experience this type tweaky stuff with the DT+HD combo?
Why do it do what it do? Something to be said for plugging one guitar via one cable into one amp! Never had a problem doing that! Worked every time!!!

Thoughts? Contributions?

I have the same sorts of issues from time to time with my podHD500 and DT25. It's one of the reasons I'm selling the DT25 (keeping the podHD for practice).

The Line 6 fanboys on this site will tell you DT amps are somehow the best amps in the hisoty of guitar music but its just ridiculous and not the case. I know from personal experience and direct comparison that they dont play (or feel) as good as other amps, even in the same price bracket. Line 6 make classic modelling units, no doubt, they are not a manufacturer of classic amps.

#24 Tboneous

Tboneous

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

I have the same sorts of issues from time to time with my podHD500 and DT25. It's one of the reasons I'm selling the DT25 (keeping the podHD for practice).

The Line 6 fanboys on this site will tell you DT amps are somehow the best amps in the hisoty of guitar music but its just ridiculous and not the case. I know from personal experience and direct comparison that they dont play (or feel) as good as other amps, even in the same price bracket. Line 6 make classic modelling units, no doubt, they are not a manufacturer of classic amps.

Not so sure I agree with you. Yes there are a lot of folks on this forum who swear by their amps. Thats because they are having a good experience with the amp. I don't think that people are over selling the DT's as the best on the planet. But if you are a "fanboy" and really enjoy you gear, you are going to share your experience with people. I don't believe that too many people are delusional in their zeal for their DT's. Some maybe, but not all.

Set aside some of the tweaky problems that rear their ugly head from time to time, I think the amp sounds purty damn good. and the Dream Rigsounds fantastic! And I am comparing it to amps that cost thousands of dollars! Now if you really want to meet annoying "fanboys", talk to someone who just spent $6k for a 35 watt combo!
Bring a lunch cause you're gonna be there for a while!

#25 verlew

verlew

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

FWIW, I experienced similar HD500 behavior that resulted from me using the power supply from my POD XT / X3L with the HD500. While the old power supplies will work, the two are not interchangeable. I played several gigs without issue before the recycling behavior occurred, (at a venue with questionable power quality). Traced it to the difference in specs between the power supplies.

And if you gig with Line 6...own backup gear!

#26 MartinDorr

MartinDorr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationArizona, U.S.A.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Had similar problems in the past until I decided to never turn on both within a few seconds. Have no issues as long as I wait to turn on the 2nd device after the 1st one went through initialization (HD500 shows tone and DT-25 has set last selected type/class). I think the cause of the various startup problems is unsynchronized exchanges of MIDI or other messages on L6 Link. Sometimes, depending on when the 2nd device is turned on, only a portion or possibly even a partial message makes to it to the device that's turned on while the other one is sending. Obviously these are all just guesses.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dt50, hd500, dream rig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users