Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD v2.6 FIRMWARE

krystianos

Will the New Amp Packs work via line6-Link with the DT-Amplifiers and will there be Preamp-/Full-Amp Models?

The new amps should correctly recall appropriate DT topology, yes.

Only the new HD amps will have preamp models. As the POD Farm models never had preamp versions, they won't. Being full models only, they may not work as well as HD models with the DT amps.

Discontinued, I just bought it a little over two years ago. Should still support it with updates for at least five years after you discontinue it. Or send an email (since I have it registered) that you are to discontinue it. Not great customer support on that part. 

So do they have a trade in plan to get latest product? 

It is still supported. There's a difference between a product being discontinued and unsupported. Discontinued means it is no longer being produced, and no further updates are expected. The product is still supported, meaning existing problems will continue to be addressed.

The HD300/400 are discontinued but currently supported.

Hello again L6 and users.

I was looking at the new release (Firmware v2.6) new amp models in the vintage model packs. 

I currently (Firmware v1.32) have done a lot of work using the amp

Class A-30 TB.

So will I still have the Class A-30 TB in the new release?

Discontinued, I just bought it a little over two years ago. Should still support it with updates for at least five years after you discontinue it. Or send an email (since I have it registered) that you are to discontinue it. Not great customer support on that part. 

So do they have a trade in plan to get latest product? 

Here's where its a little Dictionary-esque. 

Updates are different than upgrades

This new thing that is coming out is an upgrade (with updates built in). We call it an update because of our lack of vernacular, but the truth is that it is an upgrade. 

To answer your question, NO, the company is under no obligation to offer any of us an upgrade. They don't even need to provide updates, but companies do that to keep on our good sides. 

Updates are primarily bug fixes and driver support. That's why companies typically provide them, to fix the errors that should have been fixed before it was released.  

Upgrades are features that were not in the original.

Now, the difference between upgrades and updates is a actually a little upsetting to me. Because I have no interest in a 'master tone control'. But, in oder to get the bug fixes and other little tweaks that should be in an update, I have to download it all in one large upgrade package.  

So, basically, what I am saying is: 

If you knew what your HD300 was like five years ago when it was released, vs the amount of updates and upgrades that you have gotten between now and then,,,, 

Don't say they have poor customer service... get on on your knees and say thank you for making the unit 10 times the unit it was originally --- FOR FREE. 

Besides, you and little puny 300 --- if you wanted to play with the big boys, you would have gotten a 500. 

You can't handle all of this power with that little device. 

• Downvote 1

@silverhead - Thanks for the information. 

@pianoguyy - I was saying it was bad customer service of not contacting me back when they decided to discontinue the HD300, and nothing else. I wanted the HD500 but could not afford it. I have loved using the HD300 ever since I figured out how to get great sound out of it by using a powered speaker, a seven band EQ, and a DI box.

@clay-man - when I bought it they said there would be upgrades of newer amps coming. 

all the old stuff (Class A-30 TB and current JCM-800 models included) will be still there after installing the new firmware..

Excellent.   Can't wait.    Seems like the structure is similar to when I had my POD XT Live.  We could buy the 'Packs' to add more features.

In this update - has there been any room to expand the limit on the DSP?  (Note - I know nothing about the inner workings of the digital world).

Thanks

DH

I remember Digital_Igloo saying that the engineers were able to optimize some code while implementing the new EQ that would allow for a possible ~4% extra DSP, as compared to the firmware versions prior to 2.6.

The number of HD models are probably only limited by the amount of onboard memory, however much that is.

personally I don't like this mixture of HD and no-HD models in the same device, and I would have preferred to have less models but all in HD..

also, I hope that the optimization of the old models have not taken anything from their quality.. we'll see!!

It is all about tonality - how it sounds to the user/artist. I will wait and see; using this community to see if Line 6 does what it promises:

A quote from Line 6 Our Story, "We promise that we'll always take dramatic leaps so you can reach new heights with your music. That's our commitment to you. Because in the end, we love being a part of making great music."

I will stay at firmware v1.32 for the moment and keep reading this community to gauge if I should update my POD HD 500x.

DH

personally I don't like this mixture of HD and no-HD models in the same device, and I would have preferred to have less models but all in HD..

also, I hope that the optimization of the old models have not taken anything from their quality.. we'll see!!

me 2 !

after all, as it stands now, we can have all the non hd sounds if we use an xt/x3 on the fx loop of the hd, so what's the buzz tell me what's happening...

theoretically each model is separately and independently loaded from storage memory space in2 working memory space, so if the old hd code is not altered, i also hope that we will not suffer sound quality loss (which would be "catastrophic" 4 our laboriously crafted hd patch libraries).

• Upvote 2

I remember Digital_Igloo saying that the engineers were able to optimize some code while implementing the new EQ that would allow for a possible ~4% extra DSP, as compared to the firmware versions prior to 2.6.

But its not more DSP. Its more available DSP. 

Meaning, that by reducing the amount of DSP some items use, it frees up DSP to be used by others. 

You're smart, so I know you understood that. 

But for those that have a harder time: 

You can only fit 100 M&M's in a jar. --- That can be thought of as your maximum DSP. 

The jar, when full, has the complete rainbow assortment of M&M's.  --- we can think of that as lines of computer code. 

But brown isn't part of a real rainbow, so what you decide to do is remove the brown ones.  

So, you can now put more of the other colors in there before you hit your 100 M&M limit. 

The jar still only holds a maximum of 100. But because you cleared out the junk, it makes room for more of the fruity colors. 

• Upvote 1

But its not more DSP. Its more available DSP. 

Meaning, that by reducing the amount of DSP some items use, it frees up DSP to be used by others. 

You're smart, so I know you understood that. 

But for those that have a harder time: 

You can only fit 100 M&M's in a jar. --- That can be thought of as your maximum DSP. 

The jar, when full, has the complete rainbow assortment of M&M's.  --- we can think of that as lines of computer code. 

But brown isn't part of a real rainbow, so what you decide to do is remove the brown ones.  

So, you can now put more of the other colors in there before you hit your 100 M&M limit. 

The jar still only holds a maximum of 100. But because you cleared out the junk, it makes room for more of the fruity colors. 

Just so.

I should say so people don't get the wrong idea about the possible extra freed DSP, that I also remember Digital_Igloo saying that none of the existing HD amp models have changed sonic character. They are all exactly the same as before. Which means the programmers likely found somewhere else other than the amp models to get the liberated DSP, or found a way to optimize the current HD amp models in a way that doesn't affect the sound.

Where did this 4% come from? I said that because some optimization was required to accommodate the Global EQ, there's a chance you might (MIGHT) get a bit more DSP—a few percent perhaps. Certainly not enough for an extra block, but maybe enough to add that one model where before you couldn't (dependent on the model, of course).

Then again, you may not notice any difference at all.