Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Pod HD the same as The Pod HD Pro X-Just sound

ejhdropb

Hi,

I have a Pod HD Desktop Bean. I use EQ-Reverb-Delay and a Noise Gate. High Gain with Dual Amps. My Pod HD can handle this as far as DSP goes.

I realize that there is more memory on the HD Pro X but my question is:

**If I were to dial in the same patch on an HD Pro X and the Pod HD, would The Pro X sound better than just the Pod HD?

Nothing else matters to me. The package, memory. I don't care about any of this.  

Is the sound improved, deeper, more 3 dimensional or is the 20% more processing power just so you can add more effects? Does the base modeling remain exactly the same on the HD Pro X as on the Pod HD Desktop?

These are the only effects I use, ever. Reverb, Noise  Gate, Delay, EQ (Dual Amp, Rectifier, Bogner Ubershall)

No sense upgrading if the base modeling sound is not improved from the HD.

Does anyone have experience with both? If you don't, it's just conjecture but thank you anyway.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

If any differences exist they would be very minor and difficult to hear. I have both an hd500 and hd500x, and I remember when I first tried the X, something seemed different. It was slightly clearer and a little less thin sounding. But it was hard to exactly nail down and the perceived difference was very very slight. A entire world of subjectiveness plays a part too, I'm sure.

There is one particular thread on this forum that I remember reading about this very topic. There was an interesting post from someone, can't remember who, who might have had experience with embedded systems like the pods are. This person went into some detail about why the two might sound different simply because of more DSP, even though the base modeling is exactly the same.

But if you're looking for definitive technical info about this, you probably won't find it. Although the software engineers could likely answer this, it's unlikely they would take the time to do so.

The algorithms are the same.

If there is any difference in sound, as duncann mentions, you'd be hard pressed to notice it.

And the difference would have nothing to do with the extra DSP, but possibly different A/D convertors.

I have no idea if they're different, but it's possible.

• Upvote 1