Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to connect Pod HD Pro via interface(UX2) for recording

DKawlum

I know there's a few topics already on this sort of thing but I am the ultimate n00bie when it comes to this. 

I was wondering how to go about recording with my HD Pro via my UX2 into my DAW, YES I realise you can record direct with the HD Pro connected via usb to the computer but I heard that you can't re-amp/change tones on the fly once the track is recorded. Here's what I tried

POD HD PRO -> (14")OUTPUTS L & R -> UX2 INPUTS L & R - > UX2 -> COMPUTER(via USB)

I know I'm clearly doing something majorly wrong here so any advice would be very much appreciated. I'd also like to know if you can open HD Pro Edit in your DAW or simply have to have it open outside of the DAW to record. I know these are probably otherwise stupid questions but forgive me, I'm used to recording with the simplistic luxuries of pod farm. ALSO Is there a way to record both dry and wet signals(simultaneously of course) in your DAW(mine is mixcraft 6.... I know) without connecting the HD Pro via an interface?

You can record a mono wet and dry tone (almost dry - there is an extra A/D conversion at input) simultaneously using the HD Pro as the audio interface. Here is a preset designed for that:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217206/

You will need a separate audio interface (the UX2 won't do) if you want to re-amp the recorded dry signal using the HD Pro. Your other re-amp alternative is to use Pod Farm with the UX2 connected for licensing purposes.

You can use the UX2 to record a completely dry signal (no extra A/D conversion) from the HD Pro Dry output to the L input of the UX2. This signal is tapped directly from the HD Pro analog Guitar input (not Variax/VDI). You may also be able to record a mono wet signal simultaneously by routing the 1/4" L (which sums to mono) HD Pro output to the UX2 R input. In the DAW, record the UX2 L and R outputs into two separate mono tracks, making sure they are both fully panned to avoid signal mixing. This will give you the same result as the above Customtone preset except it eliminates the extra A/D conversion on the dry signal.

You can use different setups for the recording vs. re-amping stages of your workflow. Use one of the two setups described here to record the dry signal, and wet simultaneously if you wish. Then use the UX2 and Pod Farm to reamp, or get a multi-channel audio interface to use the HD Pro to re-amp.

• Upvote 1