Photo

Down Under - Open Mic Night Wednesday 26th

m20d

Best Answer ArneLine6 , 29 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi Eliot,

Thank you for your great report. You find the harmonica preset in the "Brass/ Wind/ Strings" category int he sub category "other." The solo button sends the selected channel(s) to the headphone out. If you want to have a "solo in place" meaning muting all other channels on the mains and monitors you could program the "Mute Mics" button as a mute group. When the button is pressed the status of all mutes is remembered and recalled the next time the mute mics button is pressed. This works the same way as a mute group.

If you want to solo for tweaking during a show headphones and the solo buttons are the way to go.

Cheers,

Arne

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 reynoleb

reynoleb

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Last Wednesday I took the StageScape out for it's local debut at the Family Hotel in Katoomba (Blue Mountains 1.5 hours west of Sydney)

I had watched some online videos and setup the mixer with some basic setups in my recording studio ISO room the day before the show. 

First impressions and results were way better than I ever imagined. Punters commented on the clean sound - with a new act every 15 minutes for 4 hours I took it through it's paces - setups from solo gtr and vox to a group with violin and baritone violin, 2 x gtrs, electronic drum kit, 3 vocal and fretless bass. Great results - but my initial change over setups were taking an extra minute from normal - to be expected.

I must get my head around scenes and setups so I don't end up with redundant gear on one scene.

The BIG surprise was a guest who's nylon string guitar had no pickup - so I switched out an sm58 replaced by a small pencil condensor mic - (which usually has me sweating, sitting riding the faders to stop feedback) . The venue stage is in a concrete corner with drapes and has real issues when it comes to feedback. In the old days I took a 31 band eq to use on the monitors but on Wednesday I powered up the mic and auto trimmed it - wow the sound was clean and sparkly with NO feedback - I could sit by the fire at the back of the room and enjoy the show :)

I run 3 open mics and will use it again tomorrow at a large club in Western Sydney - I will unplug their in house mixer and use this :)

Funny - I tested piezo acoustic guitars via DI and they actually sounded better plugged direct into console.........go figure?

Next week my 5 piece band SideShow Annie will play at a large club and all our usual mixing engineers are busy elsewhere - so we will take a punt and try  to group auto trim and do a 20 sec record - so the band can have dinner and I will tweak away. (2 electric gtrs, 5 vocal, drums/kik snare, bass and mandolin)  I just have to work out how to play backing music from external Mp3  and solo and tweak gates etc from the recording...maybe I should wear wireless earphones send of mix for the first set ? Any advance tips most welcome :)

One final thought - a local harp (harmonica player) was sad when there was no easy to find icon for him - can we load custom icons or just re name a DI box?

Anyhow - a great addition to our equipment - thanks Line 6 and thanks for the input on forum :)

Cheers

Eliot 

http://www.songcave.net

#2 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Glad to hear this is going so well for you.  It really is a remarkable mixer.  Yes you can rename and save scenes for your harp player.  I haven't checked but maybe there is even an icon in there for him.  I'm not the slightest bit surprised that the acoustic piezo guitars sounded better direct into the board.  This board can do what the direct box does anyway and it's one less connection.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

G'day from just down the road, Eliot...

...I just have to work out how to play backing music from external Mp3...

You'll find the 3.5mm stereo "Aux In" jack between the "Main Out R" and "L6 Link" XLM connectors on the M20d's patch panel. A replay source plugged in there will become accessible (labelled "Aux In") as Channels 17 & 18.

...I just have to work out how to ...tweak gates etc from the recording ...maybe I should wear wireless earphones send of mix for the first set ?...

It has been my experience that wireless headsets "tell lies", inasmuch as they almost invariably maintain their "easy listening" qualities by using multi-band processing prior to transmission. That technique frequently masks the very problems we're trying to detect ! :wacko:

...Now brace yourself, this may hurt a bit...

I would heartily recommend (and think it's well worth saving up for) the "hinge one ear off" professional (not the "DJ") version of Sennheiser's HD 25 II headsets, which have become the "industry standard" for critical quality assessment, ...on the basis that they are the ONLY ones that not only reveal an un-enhanced full spectrum of exactly "what's in the mix", (warts and all) but also provide almost total isolation in the face of PA levels.

http://www.videoguys...es-502105.html]

When you take them back to the studio, you'll also find they're among very few "cans" that will "agree" with the accurate analysis presented by the finest studio monitors.

...a local harp (harmonica player) was sad when there was no easy to find icon for him - can we load custom icons or just re name a DI box?...

No icon for the "harp" ? That will see the M20d banned from Byron Bay. How can this be allowed to happen ! :angry:

Line 6 Note: Eliot's brilliant idea for being able to import custom icons. If possible, do it in the next firmware upgrade. That'd be far safer than having a mountain man come a gunnin' fer ya.

Speaking of the harmonica, (this may also hurt a bit) have you or your harp player tried one of these ?

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

Isn't it lucky that you mountain folk are all independently wealthy...

Edited by RonMarton, 29 June 2013 - 03:19 PM.
Ron M's misunderstanding of the "Solo" function.

#4 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:15 PM   Best Answer

Hi Eliot,

Thank you for your great report. You find the harmonica preset in the "Brass/ Wind/ Strings" category int he sub category "other." The solo button sends the selected channel(s) to the headphone out. If you want to have a "solo in place" meaning muting all other channels on the mains and monitors you could program the "Mute Mics" button as a mute group. When the button is pressed the status of all mutes is remembered and recalled the next time the mute mics button is pressed. This works the same way as a mute group.

If you want to solo for tweaking during a show headphones and the solo buttons are the way to go.

Cheers,

Arne

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

What a relief, Arne...

...to learn that the M20d can attend the Byron Bay Blues Festival, after all ...and that you (and the others at Line 6) have nothing to fear from a posse of (blue) mountain men.  :)

#6 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

I have actually been there and I did not see anything threatening. Quite the opposite- a georgious place!

#7 reynoleb

reynoleb

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback :)
Took the mixer out again today and worked the scenes - excellent use for me - the open mic artists all had a second run as it was not too busy (it is still quite a new open mic we are building in Penrith Panthers Club) . The great thing was creating one stage with default setups and tweaking each performer depending on how loud/quiet they sing and their guitar style - plectrum attack is bright and cuts whereas many inexperienced artists that play finger style don't use their nails properly or have them cut right - so you end up with a muddy mess of misery around 200 - 400 hz. I was able to create scenes first time around and simply recall that scene when they did a second set - wow. How easy is that!!
I already had the MP3 working fine on aux input but will work on fine tuning with mute groups this week. Ta for info :)
I found the harmonica icon where you said - very cool thanks :) Even found mandolins!
Tonight I setup presets for my 5 piece band so I don't stress too much on the night - may take it to rehearsal for a test run.
I ordered a wifi kit from my IT guy - hasn't arrived yet - but I just noticed only some are supported - oh well I will see what he has ordered for me and if it does not work I will use one from the list on the FAQ page ( I think he said approx. $15 AU which is not the end of the worldto get a second one if need be)

G'day from just down the road, Eliot...

You'll find the 3.5mm stereo "Aux In" jack between the "Main Out R" and "L6 Link" XLM connectors on the M20d's patch panel. A replay source plugged in there will become accessible (labelled "Aux In") as Channels 17 & 18.

It has been my experience that wireless headsets "tell lies", inasmuch as they almost invariably maintain their "easy listening" qualities by using multi-band processing prior to transmission. That technique frequently masks the very problems we're trying to detect ! :wacko:

...Now brace yourself, this may hurt a bit...

I would heartily recommend (and think it's well worth saving up for) the "hinge one ear off" professional (not the "DJ") version of Sennheiser's HD 25 II headsets, which have become the "industry standard" for critical quality assessment, ...on the basis that they are the ONLY ones that not only reveal an un-enhanced full spectrum of exactly "what's in the mix", (warts and all) but also provide almost total isolation in the face of PA levels.

http://www.videoguys...es-502105.html]

When you take them back to the studio, you'll also find they're among very few "cans" that will "agree" with the accurate analysis presented by the finest studio monitors.

No icon for the "harp" ? That will see the M20d banned from Byron Bay. How can this be allowed to happen ! :angry:

Line 6 Note: Eliot's brilliant idea for being able to import custom icons. If possible, do it in the next firmware upgrade. That'd be far safer than having a mountain man come a gunnin' fer ya.

Speaking of the harmonica, (this may also hurt a bit) have you or your harp player tried one of these ?

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

Isn't it lucky that you mountain folk are all independently wealthy...

Hey Ron - nice to hear from you - do you own the Stagescape? My music dealer was a little apprehensive at selling a piece of kit they had not even seen yet!!! I understand from a support perspective - they are total professionals and all due respect - but it makes me wonder this must possibly be one of the first Stagescapes in Oz????
re: Independently wealthy? Doesn't apply to all mountain folk - maybe for me has something to do with making a decision to stop working for "the man" 40 hours a week and working for myself 80 hours per week ;) LOL
I bought it after researching the presonus and Mackie kits - glad I went line 6 and took the punt....the pods and then x3 live I owned always treated me well.
Thanks Arne for the help :) Glad you liked the mountains here - it is what drew me here too - oh and my partner who grew up in Canada and USA - in fact she went to school with and was in the same class as Slash from GnR ;)

Anyhow - I have a funny feeling that due to the performance of this mixer you guys may be selling a few more locally in the days to come....I mentioned on FB that this is a game changer giving me excellent access to hassle free high res multitrack location recording !!!
I would guess that it will be most likely either bought by full time music pros like myself as I can claim it through my business as tax deductible and I know it will get used 4-5 nights per week or it will be bought by well to do weekend warriors with some lazy cash - because it aint cheap!! But then again when I weigh up my Neumans, Royers, Tascam DM4800, pro boutique recording studio and UAD tube racks nothing worthwhile in life or this game does come cheap! You get what you pay for.
My studio clients also know that I don't cut corners - they get the best - maybe that is one reason I am booked out 2 months in advance in a shrinking studio industry.
Cheers
Eliot

#8 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

There are also DCA Groups that you can use to mute or change levels for a group of channels. When you double click an empty encoder in setup mode a dialog allows you to select the group members. This is also very useful to mute all FX during the part where the singer talks etc. or to control all drums or all bagpipes.

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

...this must possibly be one of the first Stagescapes in Oz????...

I think that's "spot on", Eliot...

As it happens, Don Boomer sent me a "Private Message" under the old "Community Support Forums" scheme with the name of Line 6's "new" representatives on it.

I only mention this (and am not naming them here) because, in my opinion, those "new" Australian representatives seem to be keeping the brand just as "secret" as the old mob who (perhaps not surprisingly, but deservedly) went "belly up" a while ago.

So Line 6's Australian sales may NOT actually improve until their local representation does.

My Line 6 "history" ?

Our dollar going "high" a few years back coincided with me planning for my so-called "retirement" from forty years of being a Sound Supervisor (mostly live, or "as live" TV OBs) with "Aunty" ABC, ...so I began "importing" my fairly large inventory of Line 6 XD-V wireless gear back then, with nearly all of it coming from Sweetwater Sound via forwarding agents MyUSA.

It's proven to be one of the finest investments I've ever made, as (for roughly two years) my two racks of four XD-Vs have effectively replaced the 8-way, star-quad, Canare multicore that I used to haul around. (I also have a "stand alone" XD-V75 kit that's my Line 6 Monkey "update interface", as well as having the option of replacing up to five of my beltpacks with V70/75 wireless handhelds.)

I now bring my inventory of AKG, Audio-Technica, Audix, Neumann and Sennheiser "cabled" mics to my console wirelessly, with the aid of Denecke PS-2 battery phantom supplies (when needed) and XLF to TA4 adapters into my TBP12 beltpacks. Guitar plug to TA4 beltpack adapters have similarly reduced my DI boxes to being "back-up hum buckers" ...and I subsequently became one of the many regular contributors who try to help via these forums, ...for quite a while, now.

(Time flies when you're having fun.)

#10 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

One of the good things about wireless- no ground loops.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: m20d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users