Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Different sounds when switching in Edit vs on the floorboard

Boylerules

I'm trying to dial in some tones but I'm seeing a really strange behavior. Hopefully someone might have some insight as to whats happening.

I have a POD HD500X, DT50 212, hooked up via Line6 link. I'm using the POD HD500X Edit software to create some tones that I will be switching between in the same song. The first patch is slightly distorted crunch, the second very clean. For all patches I'm using pre-amp only models. 

When switching between patches using the edit software they sound exactly how I wanted, However, if I switch using the buttons on the HD500X itself the the second patch does not sound right, distorted and crunchy when it is supposed to be clean.

The first patch is using the Brit J-45 Nrm Pre model with the 4x12 Greenback 25 cab and a 421 Dynamic mic. The DT is set to Class A/B, Topology II and Pent mode.

The second patch is using the Blackface Dbl Nrm Pre model with the 2x12 Blackface Dbl cab and a 57 on Axis mike. The DT is set to Class A/B, Topology II and Pent mode. Typically the Blackface model would use topology 1 but I wanted quicker switching in the song.

Any thoughts on whats happening or how I can get the POD itself to switch the same way I am when using the edit software?

Thanks!

That makes sense if you have not sent the changes made in Edit to the POD device, using the Edit program's SEND command. If you recall an edited preset using the device before sending the changes made in Edit, the device will recall its previously stored preset (not the edited one) because it has no knowledge yet of the edits. They are only stored in the Edit program's working memory until sent to the device for permanent storage.

There are other anomalies that will occur when you use the device to make changes while the Edit program is running. A general rule of thumb is: whenEdit is running, don't touch the device.

This happens despite them being saved to the POD. I have used the SEND command and this still happens.

That makes sense if you have not saved your patches in Edit to the POD device, using the Edit program's SEND command. If you recall an edited preset using the device before sending the changes made on Edit, the device will recall its previously stored preset (not the edited one) because it has no knowledge yet of the edits. They are only stored in the Edit program's working memory until sent to the device for permanent storage.

The plot thickens.

These patches were in bank 2, slots A and B. I copied them to bank 4 and the patches sounded correct even when switching on the floorboard itself. I copied them back from bank 4 to bank 2 and everything is working as it should. 

Seems like a strange glitch. Not sure why it happened but it seems to be fixed.

The plot thickens.

These patches were in bank 2, slots A and B. I copied them to bank 4 and the patches sounded correct even when switching on the floorboard itself. I copied them back from bank 4 to bank 2 and everything is working as it should. 

Seems like a strange glitch. Not sure why it happened but it seems to be fixed.

I get the same thing (more than a number of times).  However, sometimes even when I copy, the target tone just doesn't sound the same.

Do you have a DT amp as well? What's your setup? I'm curious if our rigs are similar or if its just a weird POD problem.

I get the same thing (more than a number of times). However, sometimes even when I copy, the target tone just doesn't sound the same.

I have a DT50-212 and a HD500.  I've tried re-flashing the firmware.  I use a Line 6-Link cable between the two.  I have even tried playing with a number of parameters such as Inputs and playing with the signal chain.  I have even re-created the patch which works in the different slot and copied it to another slot which now no longer works.  My problem is usually with the AC-30TB Pre, but has also happened with the J-800 Pre once.

I get the same thing (more than a number of times).  However, sometimes even when I copy, the target tone just doesn't sound the same.

yes this happens to me too. it looks like even if you "send" it to the device, it only resides on a temporary location (not totally applied to the device) until you disconnect the USB or exit the edit software. what i normally do is this:

- edit/create a patch in hd500x edit

- press send in edit software when i'm finished

- on the hd500x unit, i also press the save button

if i do not press save in the device, i will get the same behavior as OP described.

Interesting.  It is like the USB loses connection.  I have seen this before where I click on SEND, but it doesn't highlight for a second so I have to press it a couple of times.  I never tried pressing the SAVE button on the POD.  However, it shouldn't behave like this.