Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4cm and bypassing my preamp

lcrump29

hey guys im a noob to the line 6 world although i had a digitect rp1000 for a few years im not that new to amp modelers..but by far the hd500x blows away anything ive ever played through. my question is when im using the 4cm does this bypass the preamp on my amp which is a rocktron replitone 212. all i want to use is the power amp in my combo and get all the tone from the hd500x so is there any settings i need to change in order to do this or just use the fx send and return on my amp and thats it...thats the way is was withe the rp1000 and i just wanna make sure before i do it that way

You can go into the power amp of your amp. The output setting of the Pod should be set appropriately. Although you could try all the output settings. As far as the cable routings I think there's 3 ways you could do it. I do think you'll have more control with the 4CM though. You should just try a few different set ups to see what gives. I can't see it taking that much time.

Edited by Brazzy

i was just checking cause ive saw where some people add their amp in the fx loop but i didnt wanna do that

I'm certainly not the say all end all, hopefully you get more reply's. When I feel up to it I like to try as much as I can with routing. I find it fun. When I take break from playing I play around with options.

If you want to bypass the preamp entirely on the amp, and just want to hear the HD500 in all its glory, i

would get rid of the 4 cable method, and run the HD500 output(s) directly in the amps FX Return(s).

4CM is great if you want to switch between all combinations with preamp inline, but trickier. Your

patches will be easier to build, and less tap-dancing on footswitches if you can do without the preamp.

• Upvote 1

i wanna set it up similiar to my rp so it cuts down on my learning curve so im guessing ill have to go the outputs to the amp fx return...or my rp the 4cm did bypass the preamp unless i hit the fx loop button to add my amp to the mix....thats what i was tryin to figure out is how to route the hd500x to act sorta like that..so if i run the hd500 outs to the fx returns then just plug the guitar in without any other cables

If you find yourself wanting to use the amps preamp inline with your chain at any time, then stick to the 4CM, and learn

how to use the FX Loop block in the HD500X. But if you'll never find yourself wanting that, and a more simpler setup +

shorter learning curve is what your after, then I would ditch the 4CM, it just adds to the complexity of things you could

do without. Its a good way to start learning in the shallow end, 4CM immediately puts you into the deep end, up to you

really. The biggest decision that usually dictates this approach, is wether you'll want to alternate between amp-sims

and your real amp, or wether ampsims will be exclusively used, or vice-versa. 4CM will allow you to alternate.

Stick to the 4CM if you want to replicate what you had with the Digitech, and study the FX Loop block options.

Note, the FX Loop on the HD500X will not function until you assign the FX Loop to an FX block in your chain.

• Upvote 1

ok i got ya now...so i can leave the setup i have now which is the 4cm and it will still bypass the pre amp unless i add it to the chain when creating a new patch...thanks for all the help guys...seems like there alot more help here then there was on the digitech site the 500x is a beast compared to the rp1000

• Upvote 1