Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delay mix levels question

rnsanchez

Hi, everyone. Newbie HD500X user here. I've spent the last couple of days programming patches and I use a lot of delays a la U2's The Edge. I noticed that I have to set the delay mix to around 60% so that I get the same levels as the dry signal and the repeats, at least with the analog and digital delays. Anyone noticed this as well or are my ears deceiving me?

Does it actually matter? Any 'deception' in your ears is likely based on an expectation that what you observe should occur at 50% rather than 60%. But so what? As long as you hear only the dry signal when mix is 0%, and only the wet signal when mix is 100%, and as long as there is a gradual blending of the two as you adjust the mix level, does it really matter if what you hear as 'equal' occurs at something other than 50%?

Most importantly, are you able to get the mix you want?

Yeah, so far I'm getting the mixes. I was just asking because the norm with other delay units, even the old PodFarm, I was used to working with was equal levels dry and effect/repeats at 50%. I was curious whether this was how Line 6 implemented on the HD series.

Hi, everyone. Newbie HD500X user here. I've spent the last couple of days programming patches and I use a lot of delays a la U2's The Edge. I noticed that I have to set the delay mix to around 60% so that I get the same levels as the dry signal and the repeats, at least with the analog and digital delays. Anyone noticed this as well or are my ears deceiving me?

This is generally what I've found, too. 50% isn't usually equal wet/dry. The other thing to remember is that if you're using a delay that has treble and bass parameters, those are actually passive controls. That means they can only cut the signal, not boost. So having them up at 100% means that the repeats are at a flat EQ setting. If you have them at something less than 100%, the wet signal will be reduced in volume, so you'd have to turn up the mix to make up for that.

This is generally what I've found, too. 50% isn't usually equal wet/dry. The other thing to remember is that if you're using a delay that has treble and bass parameters, those are actually passive controls. That means they can only cut the signal, not boost. So having them up at 100% means that the repeats are at a flat EQ setting. If you have them at something less than 100%, the wet signal will be reduced in volume, so you'd have to turn up the mix to make up for that.

Thanks! I'm glad to know it's not my ears.