Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500x Tone Possibilities?

destroythevoice

So I posted a previous post before on questions between the HD500x and the Pro X.. Decided I'm going to purchase the HD500x..  But the more and more I look into tones from these types of hardware the more I see myself questioning what the possibilities are and I know I'll never know until I mess with it myself..  But from someone with experience I was hoping to see if anyone can tell me if it's possible to achieve these tones in this video

I know that they are using Axe FX Ultra models..  But of course if you spend enough time with any amp/modeler I'm sure I can achieve the tone.  But from someone elses stand-point with experience using it I wanna know if it's possible to achieve clean ambient tones almost exactly like that in these songs..

ESPECIALLY The distortion tones.  They sound so crispy and clean and I'm REALLY hoping when I make the HD500x purchase that I'm able to get these tones someway somehow without having to buy a hundred different things to do so....

Twelve Foot Ninja is the only band I have seen that uses the HD500x live and for studio and have achieved pretty close tones but not exactly like this.  Of course they have their own sound..  But yeah.  

Thanks as well to anyone who replies.  Everyones been very informative for me since I joined the community!

I really care about my sound for studio work and live work so I wanna get the best sounds I can possibly get for my releases.

you need to check the link for the video its not working.  As far as the tones, I will just say that with work you can get pretty much any tone you want with this gear.  It may never be an exact match to something particular but it will be what you make it.  Take the time to learn it when you get it and keep an open mind...

you need to check the link for the video its not working.  As far as the tones, I will just say that with work you can get pretty much any tone you want with this gear.  It may never be an exact match to something particular but it will be what you make it.  Take the time to learn it when you get it and keep an open mind...

Weird.. look up "Tesseract - Of Matter (live at Sphere Studios)"  its showing up for me.  

Yeah that's what I figured too.. But I just want to know that the it's possible..  Cause with my Line 6 Spider III head...  it was impossible.  Maybe I'm terrible at making tones but I could never achieve anything like this before.  I always got a very aggressive sound that I liked but I could never get it cleaned up.

I would say it's possible, but if you try it, plan on spending a lot of time on it because there's a lot of different types of tone going on in that video.

Definitely looking into spending good time into it..  This is going to be a good investment I feel.  I just hope I eventually find the right tone I want

Link works fine.

As for your undecidedness, I will say this...

In this generation cycle for multi-fx pedals offered by all the major players like, Line6, Boss, Digitech and Zoom ect,

the POD HD is the best bit of kit in this market sector, Line6 have nailed the rest to the wall. I'm not a brand fanatic,

and never will be, I will go where my ears tell me to, and in this generation cycle of multi-fx pedals, the POD HD is king.

Next gen offerings might be a different story tho. That's my 2 cents, and that opinion is almost unanimous with most.

Buy an Axe-FX if you have doubts, you won't go wrong, but that's in a higher market bracket pricewise.

Tesseract are a Djent band as I understand, the POD HD works fine for Djent tones, theres lotta tutorials on youtube.

If you don't believe it, spend an entire day in a shop with them all ! we all know what you'll walk out with.

• Upvote 1

Link works fine.

As for your undecidedness, I will say this...

In this generation cycle for multi-fx pedals offered by all the major players like, Line6, Boss, Digitech and Zoom ect,

the POD HD is the best bit of kit in this market sector, Line6 have nailed the rest to the wall. I'm not a brand fanatic,

and never will be, I will go where my ears tell me to, and in this generation cycle of multi-fx pedals, the POD HD is king.

Next gen offerings might be a different story tho. That's my 2 cents, and that opinion is almost unanimous with most.

Buy an Axe-FX if you have doubts, you won't go wrong, but that's in a higher market bracket pricewise.

Tesseract are a Djent band as I understand, the POD HD works fine for Djent tones, theres lotta tutorials on youtube.

If you don't believe it, spend an entire day in a shop with them all ! we all know what you'll walk out with.

Definitely gonna go for the HD500x and give it a whirl.  Would love to spend good time with it.

One thing you won't get (or, at least I haven't) is that really rich reverb at the beginning. Try using the paticleverb, it can get you close, also the cave reverb, but I've never been able to get EXACTLY the reverb I would like. I'm a Variax/Pod guy because I love the vesatility so I'm sticking with it. Guess I will put the reverb I want in the effects loop if it's that important to me.

The primary studio related benefit to going with the Pro X over the HD500x is the "dry out" output that is on the Pro X but not the 500x.

The primary benefit to use the 500x is that it is a floorboard and you don't need any additional floorboards to make it go.

Depending on how you build your patches, and how you use the FX loop, you can still achieve a 'dry out' though it will be analog, unless you use SPDIF, then I believe you can route the dry signal with either the 500x or the Pro X.

A factor to consider is this: the primary strength of the HD500x / ProX is the AMP modeling. The FX modeling is also good; but can be supplemented if needed. For example, put an outboard pedal into the FX loop. I tried the M13 for a while in this manner, was cool, but not ideal.

Radatats came up with a cool idea recently, I tried the same with mine, decent results- Zoom makes a small stomp box sized reverb / chorus / delay pedal, which also has a stereo noise gate, EQ, etc. Put that (in stereo) into the FX loop after the amp models, to expand your options, while conserving DSP.

Why do I mention DSP?> Because if you are using things like dual full amp models, with DPS intensive FX, you will hit the DSP limit pretty quickly. Other folks have used other gear in a similar manner; the FX loop is in stereo, so you have quite a few options with how to route your signal. Especially as you are in studio.

SO, for example, you could record your parts up to and including the amp model, while possibly using software to add additional effects in your DAW after recording. For live use, it's a different bag - in live use, you want to program everything that you need, and make it accessible with the combination of footswitches that are available.

The 500x allows two primary modes of Footswitch (FS) usage: FS1-4 for FX changes + FSA,B,C,D for patch changes, -OR- FS1-8 for FX changes, and patch change using the bank up/down in combination with FS 1-4 (a two step process to change patches vs one step)

A fellow Tesseract fan? :)

The HDs are a fine bit of kit, you should be able to get a pretty good distorted Tesseract tone but with their pitch shifted arpeggio tones they use, I think you'll struggle to get it quite right. Close but definitely something missing.