Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x as an ABY switcher?

lpeacock1

Hey Gang,

Can anyone tell me if the HD500x can be used as an ABY switcher like a Voodoo Labs. Palmer or Lehle? I have 2 amps that I want to split. One clean/wet and the other with effects from the POD. I tried doing a search here but came up empty. Any thoughts would be very helpful.

If you're not using any fx on the pod and only using it for an a/b/y using an fx loop on either side of the chain is probably the easiest way to break the signal flow.

So you'd go out of the pod L output into amp 1, Pod R out into amp 2. Make sure your mixer is hard panned left and right.

Make a patch with the FX loop enabled on the right side (bottom chain on the editor) but dont plug anything in or out of your loop. This will give you amp 1 only.

Do the same on another patch except with the fx loop on the left side (top editor path) and it will be only amp 2.

You could then also add in a FS controller function for the FX loop for both patches that enables you to add in the amp that you've by passed by pressing that footswtich - for example have FS 1 contolling the loop on/off, the loop is on by default which breaks the signal chain on that sidebut when you press FS 1 it disables the loop , allowing signal through on that side and now you get both amps.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Not sure. I'm a tactile learner, so I will have to go through the steps. This is pretty much what I thought. However, I was under the impression that this would work only for non-stereo effects.

I also toyed with the idea of plugging my guitar into the input of a P-splitter and branching off to the clean/wet amp (A) and also branching off to the effects amp (B) with the POD in the chain.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I will experiment until something works.

I have committed to not partaking of any food stuffs or sleep until I have resolved this issue to my complete satisfaction.

Naw...just kidding. I'm munching down right now on a serious slice of deep dish pizza as we speak!! :0)

Thanks again!

No problem. In terms of stereo effects, as long as you dont have a mono summing before the chains are split i think they stay seperated as the mixer is effective two stereo channels. You'll just end up with all of them summed to mono anyway once they hit your mono amp input (someone correct me if im wrong).