Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will digital modelling ever replace analogue.

NucleusX

This is an easy question.  Yes digital modelers will replace analogue amps. 

When was the last time you bought music on a vinyl record versus CD or MP3 ?  There's still people out there that say how much better music sounds on a record versus digital, just not near as many.  This will eventually happen to guitar amps.

Modelers especially the ones from Line 6 already sound way better than any amp that is being suffocated due to bedroom volume. You can't beat a POD XT or an X3.

• Upvote 1

If modelling managed to replace analog completely, it would be like Syndrome said;

"...'everyone' can have powers. 'Everyone' can be super! And when everyone is super...'no one' will be."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  We can't let everyone sound good then nobody will sound good.  Besides no matter how good your tone is, you still have to be able to play.  Last I checked the PODHD doesn't have a parameter for making me play better.

• Upvote 1

Last I checked the PODHD doesn't have a parameter for making me play better.

I'm sure it's in the pipeline...we've already got auto-tune for pop-stars who can't actually sing, and "bands" who mime most, if not all their "performance" to pre-recorded tracks. Why wouldn't there eventually be software that will fix all your duffed notes and sloppy playing? Somebody will develop an algorithm that guesses what notes should have been in the lick you tried to play...similar to the predictive text on your phone. 3 cheers for the "future of music", lol. :P

I'm sure it's in the pipeline...we've already got auto-tune for pop-stars who can't actually sing, and "bands" who mime most, if not all their "performance" to pre-recorded tracks. Why wouldn't there eventually be software that will fix all your duffed notes and sloppy playing? Somebody will develop an algorithm that guesses what notes should have been in the lick you tried to play...similar to the predictive text on your phone. 3 cheers for the "future of music", lol. :P

Still probably far away from this. Just taking a casual listen to some of this type of music, and it's absolutely horrible, nerve grating, but a lot of people like that stuff. Sad. I wouldn't even classify it as music.

But then there is technology that can take a completely out of tune guitar and make it in tune. Don't variaxes do this, or some variation of it? On the other hand, it still doesn't cause one to actually play better, or write better songs.

But then there is technology that can take a completely out of tune guitar and make it in tune. Don't variaxes do this, or some variation of it? On the other hand, it still doesn't cause one to actually play better, or write better songs.

Not even close...Variax needs to be in tune, with spot-on intonation for the alt tuning algorithms to work (and even then, they're not perfect). Otherwise, it can be quite the mess...

Peavey seems to make one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NurkeWG-a-0

Yeah, I've seen those...shop near me has had a couple of them. Played one briefly...Not great, not awful as far as the guitar itself. Didn't really play around with it enough to determine whether or not the electronics are susceptible to any of the digital oddities that the Variax alt tunings can have.

The Morpheus Droptune pedal is about the best pitch-shifting pedal on the market and it isn't cheap.

Pitch-shifting and polyphonic tracking is another department digital fails in.

Auto-tune was made by the devil, evil software that magically creates talent out of untalented vocalists.

:huh: Everyone is super with Auto-tune.

• Upvote 1

My counter question to the OP and DI's later suppositions is why would you want that to happen?

I LOVE my analog gear which is basically Fender guitars, amps and quality analog pedals.  I love how it all sounds together.  I love how it feels when I hit it, either hard or soft.  I love it's elegant simplicity.  I love that it was born and grew in the same era as I was.  I love that all my musical "heros" used the same gear I am using, albeit some of it I own is reissued.  I love the way it lives and breathes and communicates when I play through it all.  FInally, I love that every single modeling device I have ever seen to a unit trys (and fails) to replicate what I already own which is a testament to it's ultimate long term value and sheer staying power.

So will digital modeling ever replace analog gear?  Probably because the world demands less and less quality every single day as evidenced by the crap we (re)buy day in and day out with shelf lives measured in months (or even weeks) before it is obsoleted.  The proponents of digital modeling will keep trying, and it IS getting better and better, of course.  But to those of you who say (rightly so) that all recorded music is digital these days, I ask you: Is that REALLY a good thing?  If could you ever buy a new vinyl record from say the 1970s (say Boston's debut album) and could play it on a MacIntosh tube component stereo setup with quartz locked turntable and a Shure V-15 diamond needle -- you would throw your crappy little MP3 player so far, so fast your head would spin.

Don't get me wrong.  I actually like digital modelers, but not because they sounds better - because it is a way to experiment with other sound combinations to see if I should get the analog amp or effect the modeler is trying to mimic.  I have fun with my POD and JTV59, no doubt.  But when I want THAT sound, feel and experience I head straight for my analog rig and smile.

• Upvote 1

I just watched an interview with Eddie Van Halen by the Smithsonian. 

He talked about how prior to the internet, you needed to just experiment. You didn't have a 'how to' library at your fingertips. You broke a lot of gear in the process, but it helped you learn how gear worked and also helped to discover little tweaks that could be made.

You can't do the same with computer gear.

BUT...

How many of us know how to eat without knowing how to cook? Or how to drive without knowing how to build a car? 

Not everyone needs to know how things work to enjoy them.

I loved modding gear 'just to see what happens', but those days (for me) are over. I just need to play guitar. And I am never going to carry an amp again. 

• Upvote 1

If could you ever buy a new vinyl record from say the 1970s (say Boston's debut album) and could play it on a MacIntosh tube component stereo setup with quartz locked turntable and a Shure V-15 diamond needle -- you would throw your crappy little MP3 player so far, so fast your head would spin.

No.....because without all that fancy equipment (and a brand-spanking-new vinyl) vinyl doesn't sound better, it only sounds warmer, and bares artifacts as noticeable as anything in a low-quality MP3. "Average" turntables sound just OK.  Plus, I can't plug that into my car stereo, take it to a friends house, hold 30+ days worth of music, etc. They're different from each other, and each has its merits. I'd rather have the MP3 player.

• Upvote 1

No.....because without all that fancy equipment (and a brand-spanking-new vinyl) vinyl doesn't sound better, it only sounds warmer, and bares artifacts as noticeable as anything in a low-quality MP3. "Average" turntables sound just OK.  Plus, I can't plug that into my car stereo, take it to a friends house, hold 30+ days worth of music, etc. They're different from each other, and each has its merits. I'd rather have the MP3 player.

So sayeth you good sir.

I guess it comes back to what you value more; convenience or sound quality.  I choose sound quality personally, all things being equal otherwise.  But yeah, I use digital sources in my car for convenience and variety's sake.

• Upvote 1

Nor would I want a Model T Ford...as for the recent vinyl "resurgence", most who are caught up in it are doing it because it's "cute". Conversation fodder for a Hipster cocktail party. Nobody is going back. At least not in any numbers that would matter to those who peddle MP3s at $0.99/each. Yeah, companies like Macintosh and Krell will survive on the spending habits of rich folks who think nothing of spending six-figure sums on a home stereo. But Apple and Amazon are getting rich off an entirely different demographic.

Every generations laments the things from their youth that get lost to time, or replaced with something faster, cheaper,  and more convenient, etc. As for "better"...what's better? Yesterday's poison is today's superfood.

I leave it to the philosophers...

Nor would I want a Model T Ford...as for the recent vinyl "resurgence", most who are caught up in it are doing it because it's "cute". Conversation fodder for a Hipster cocktail party. Nobody is going back. At least not in any numbers that would matter to those who peddle MP3s at $0.99/each. Yeah, companies like Macintosh will survive on the spending habits of rich folks who think nothing of spending six-figure sums on a home stereo. But Apple and Amazon are getting rich off an entirely different demographic.

Every generations laments the things from their youth that get lost to time, or replaced with something faster, cheaper,  and more convenient, etc. As for "better"...what's better? I leave it to the philosophers...

Dude, I still have my original vinyls lol...I don't have to lament anything.  But I know what sounds good to me, and so I am willing to be "cute" because it's worked for me since the 1960s.

Dude, I still have my original vinyls lol...I don't have to lament anything.  But I know what sounds good to me, and so I am willing to be "cute" because it's worked for me since the 1960s.

No offense intended...it's the Hipsters driving the "faux-vintage is trendy" movement...champions of the "if you like something that's un-cool, it is thereby anointed with 'coolness' " philosophy, lol. Very odd...

I grew up with CDs and cassettes...still have mountains of both, although I can't remember the last time I reached for one. And somewhere I've got a handful of vinyl, maybe a dozen or so...I distinctly remember having Men At Work's "Business As Usual" on the turntable when I was a kid, lol.   All I meant was that as a whole, each generation tends to regard their stuff, and their time as the "best". Human nature...stick with the devil you know. Except for the Hipsters, who seem to be interested in co-opting someone else's "devil"...weird times we're living. ;)

• Upvote 1

No offense intended...it's the Hipsters driving the "faux-vintage is trendy" movement...champions of the "if you like something that's un-cool, it is thereby anointed with 'coolness' " philosophy, lol. Very odd...

I grew up with CDs and cassettes...still have mountains of both, although I can't remember the last time I reached for one. And somewhere I've got a handful of vinyl, maybe a dozen or so...I distinctly remember having Men At Work's "Business As Usual" on the turntable when I was a kid, lol.   All I meant was that as a whole, each generation tends to regard their stuff, and their time as the "best". Human nature...stick with the devil you know. Except for the Hipsters, who seem to be interested in co-opting someone else's "devil"...weird times we're living. ;)

It's all good man.  People are gonna use what they like in the end.  Digital will supplant analog one day because people like me will eventually not be around anymore to support the analog gear.  Younger folks coming up today are just fine with digital because they don't know what things used to be like.  I feel very lucky really to be able to see both sides of the divide so clearly and have been able to live it.  The day someone models and markets something like a POD 1.0 will be a serious watershed moment.

The really GREAT thing about right now is that we can all choose to have analog, digital or as in my case both.

The really GREAT thing about right now is that we can all choose to have analog, digital or as in my case both.

Oh, no doubt...Hell, my L2T is on the fritz and being repaired...again...lol. Had I ditched my Carvin TS 100 power amp and Marshall 4x12, I'd have nothing to gig with.

Oh, no doubt...Hell, my L2T is on the fritz and being repaired...again...lol. Had I ditched my Carvin TS 100 power amp and Marshall 4x12, I'd have nothing to gig with.

It's funny you mention your L2T being down...the fact that my 16 month old JTV59 has issues like the analog pickups cutting out or just not working at times, the knobs falling off and the low E and A strings being buzzy and out of whack (should have returned the thing to Sweetwater dang it) kept me from getting any more Line 6 hardware because I was worried over quality.  In fact, I have considered just selling off the JTV59 and POD HD500 plus two PE60 power Engines and puting it down to experience as most of my time in the studio is spent within the computer anyway.

Truthfully I get a lot more mileage out of my POD Farm with all the model packs I got for it than my HD500 these days.  I can use that either stand alone to jam and practice while on the TrueFire site, or I can use the amp models in Propellerheads Reason and I can use ALL of those models in Cakewalk's SONAR as VSTs which for the $300 I laid out for it makes it a sweet deal IMHO.

smrybacki "My counter question to the OP and DI's later suppositions is why would you want that to happen?"

I never said I "wanted" this to happen, nor did I imply it. I thought the topic itself made basis for a good conversation, nothing more, 3 pages later...

smrybacki "My counter question to the OP and DI's later suppositions is why would you want that to happen?"

I never said I "wanted" this to happen, nor did I imply it. I thought the topic itself made basis for a good conversation, nothing more, 3 pages later...

Absolutely no disrespect intended my friend. Just playing Devil's advocate I guess. I am an analogue man in a digital world as it turns out even as I work in the digital realm. It's a great subject for spirited debate which is repeated daily around the blogosphere....

smrybacki "Absolutely no disrespect intended my friend. Just playing Devil's advocate I guess. I am an analogue man in a digital world as it turns out even as I work in the digital realm. It's a great subject for spirited debate which is repeated daily around the blogosphere...."

:) S'all good..   I guess the main reason I started this topic was to probe for answers that will be apparent in the near future, and what new tricks we might expect

from our digital multi-fx gadgets to keep them competitive in the next generation, which will undoubtedly have them rival the analogue alternative even more.   

I wanted it to happen. 

I didn't know the term modeler at the time. Hell, Windows 95 didn't even exist yet. so I am sure that modeling didn't either. 

But I always wanted to plug direct into the PA. Skip the need for an amp altogether. I just never found a good sound from it. 

I have it now. 

Sometimes I feel like George Lucas during the original Star Wars movies. 

I wanted to do certain things, but the technology wasn't available. So I did the best I could with the limitations of the time. 

By the way, as far as I know, valve amps usually have their own voice (which might be better or worse), but modelers mostly simulate existing amps. If we ever happen to have valve amps dead and modelers everywhere, what will they model? A century old Marshall?

By the way, as far as I know, valve amps usually have their own voice (which might be better or worse), but modelers mostly simulate existing amps. If we ever happen to have valve amps dead and modelers everywhere, what will they model? A century old Marshall?

Probably...every once in a while they'll haul a bunch of old classics out of mothballs at the Smithsonian, and model those. Or, they'll pay a bunch of "experts" to guess at what tube amps used to sound like, same way they guess at what dinosaurs used to have for lunch. :P

I never liked analogue pedals much because they were so noisy, broke easily, expensive, and a bunch of other reasons.  Yes the right combination with the right amp and guitar sounded really great.  Now I use the PODHD as a Digital Pre-amp and it's Digital effects to build my chain and plug it into my Marshall amps.  No noise, no mess, very reliable, and I can't tell the difference between this and analogue pedals.  Nobody listening can either...

Also the PODHD taught me a lot about different combinations of FX and different ways to connect them in the chain that would have taken me even more years and thousands more dollars to do the old school way. 

btw - I'm an old school, over 50, guitarist.  But I like technology when it does what it should.

Obviously, with a screen name like PianoGuyY, I am somehow connected with they 'keys' in some way. 

Do you know what is big business right now? 

Going to churches and other concert halls that have these big huge pipe organs. And I am talking the BIG ones, the ones that are built into the walls and would never be able to be moved.

People are ripping out all of the guts, and replacing them with microchips. 

Would you ever know that it was a digital sample if you weren't told?

Interesting article:

Enter Shikari's Rory Clewlow: 'I've Always Had an Interest to Make Music No Matter in What Form or What Instrument'

What about the idea of analog versus digital?

Weren't the records you listened to and all those guitar sounds you were digging on created on tape?

I think digital in general has kind of just reached that point now where a few years ago it wasn't as good as analog. But I think now it's kind of reached that point where generally everything from front-of-house desks [mixing boards] to studio equipment, anything sort of found in my world is all catching up with the analog stuff and the quality of sounds. Once it's caught up in the quality sound then there are so infinitely more options you can use with much more ease. The benefits of digital are just a no-brainer for me really now.

What kind of pre-production have you been doing?

With this tour in particular, it's been a lot of work and it's probably been the most rehearsals for me personally. Because I'm completely changing my whole rig.

You are?

Yeah. Do you know the Kemper? Have you ever heard of that?

I have.

So sorry. You work for a guitar magazine, OK.

No problem. Let's talk guitars.

You must have heard of the Kemper [profiling amplifier] if you work for Ultimate-Guitar. I'm completely switching my rig over to that. I used to play Peavey 5150 so basically I've just been literally spending the last week fiddling about with tones and Ableton [music software] and trying to get it all synched up. I'm making the analog to digital leap. It's been a lot of work.

That must feel like starting over.

Yeah, exactly. Our electronics are all run off Ableton and so that's kind of like the brain of the show. That's like the click track to us and the electronics out front obviously and we can play live synths and stuff through that. Now the guitars are also hooked up to that as well. So lately, we're all becoming more and more reliant on this computer [laughs].

Back in the day, it was just plugging a guitar into an amp?

Yeah, when we first started, there was no electronics at all. But lately our whole band is getting more and more integrated into technology, which is actually really exciting.

You were getting these great guitar sounds with just a guitar and an amp. Why did you want to change to computers and modeling amps?

Well, basically I used to carry around two huge amps. One was the Peavey Classic 50, which wasn't huge but it was quite heavy and bulky. Then I had a two 5150s for backup and a cab and loads of effects pedals and everything. Now obviously, I've just got like one relatively tiny like 3U rack size box basically. It's mega-light.

Does the Kemper sound as good as the Peaveys?

It can make the sounds that are just as good and identical in fact to my previous sounds and infinite other tones, sounds and effects that I previously hadn't been able to get. But now and what I've been working on for the last week or something is I've been making these new tones. I've gone from live having two tones to now with the Kemper in my live set, I've got 25 tones.

Has it been difficult to access all these different tones onstage?

They switch all automatically so I don't have to be anywhere near my pedalboard. It frees me up to concentrate on performing and playing. I can now be anywhere in the venue and perform from the sound desk if I wanted to. I wouldn't have to worry about pedal changes or anything like that.

Have you used any of the Kemper gear on record?

Not on record, no. I only discovered it after we finished recording this last record. I can't remember how I discovered it actually. I think it was just like through a friend telling me about it. Oh, no, actually it was our sound guy, our front-of-house guy who worked with another band that used it. And of course when you first hear about it, you don't believe it. It sounds too good to be true and you really have to actually listen it.

The fact that the Kemper is a modeling amp versus a regular amp doesn't mean anything to you?

A lot of people are quite sentimental about staying with a real amp. But I'm not really a sentimental guitarist. If it sounds good, it sounds good. I don't really care how it's being made as long as it's sounding good. The end justifies the means. 

"Younger folks coming up today are just fine with digital because they don't know what things used to be like.  I feel very lucky really to be able to see both sides of the divide so clearly and have been able to live it."

There does seem to be alot of this "you weren't there so you don't know" attitude among the vinyl crowd. I was there, I have seen both sides of the divide, lived it, and I love digital. Analog audio reproduction was never an accurate recording medium. It had several limitations including the dynamic range and frequency response (any of you old recording engineers remember the hysteresis loop?). Digital actually captures the exact sound of something more accurately than the analog gear did. What all the vinyl people call better is actually a more processed signal partly because of vinyl's limitations, which in itself could be considered a type of processing, and partly that because of vinyl's limitations, the signal was processed even more to make up for those limitations during the mastering process. It's why good mastering engineers were like gold in those days. You really had to have a wizard's grasp of analog/vinyl's limitations and how to best overcome them to get a good sound. One of the reasons CD's sounded so crappy at first is because they just slapped the old master tapes onto the CD's which were EQ'd/processed for vinyl's limitations. Therefore everything that was "processed" for the vinyl world wound up sounding terrible in the more accurate digital world. That's why they had to be "Digitally remastered" for the CD world. And, given the state of digital recording these days, just about all of vinyl's limitations can be added to a digital signal to reproduce that wonderful "warm" sound that's caused by a limited dynamic range and limited frequency response, among other things. I'll bet the hysteresis loop could be recreated for whatever gear you wanted to emulate.

Now I'm not trying to say digital is the perfect medium but to make a blanket statement that analog/vinyl is just better because, uh well, it just is, is uh, well, a bit myopic. At the very least it would be just as bad as me saying digital is a superior medium. Afterall, all of the data says it is. That statement is myopic.

Obviously, with a screen name like PianoGuyY, I am somehow connected with they 'keys' in some way. 

Do you know what is big business right now? 

Going to churches and other concert halls that have these big huge pipe organs. And I am talking the BIG ones, the ones that are built into the walls and would never be able to be moved.

People are ripping out all of the guts, and replacing them with microchips. 

Would you ever know that it was a digital sample if you weren't told?

Wait. They're actually replacing the pipes themselves with PA systems? Not just replacing the traditional manuals and stops with digitally controlled ones and MIDI sequencers?

If what you're saying is true, my mom will be crushed—she's played pipe organ professionally for longer than I've been alive.

Has it been difficult to access all these different tones onstage?

They switch all automatically so I don't have to be anywhere near my pedalboard. It frees me up to concentrate on performing and playing. I can now be anywhere in the venue and perform from the sound desk if I wanted to. I wouldn't have to worry about pedal changes or anything like that.

I thought this comment was particularly interesting.

I thought this comment was particularly interesting.

I would like to maintain at least some control over what sounds are coming out of the thing...assuming that all the patch and effect toggling will happen precisely the way it's supposed to is a leap of faith I'm not ready to take. Just seems like it's inviting an embarrassing train wreck...

Agreed, the idea of Ableton running/automating the show would make me nervous too. I can imagine a scenario where the Ableton crashes or the

OS blue-screens, and that god-awful looped sound you get with the BSOD. Seems to me its at the mercy of too many possible things to go wrong.

Edit.

Although, when it comes to general robustness, I think analogue and digital are on par, its just as easy enough to blow tubes on the fly.

Agreed, the idea of Ableton running/automating the show would make me nervous too. I can imagine an scenario where the Ableton crashes or the

OS blue-screens and that god-awful looped sound you get with the BSOD. Seems to me its at the mercy of too many possible things to go wrong.

You wouldn't have to be processing audio through Ableton, just playing a MIDI track. You'd essentially be using Ableton only as a sequencer. You could easily have a redundant system built in where if something did happen, you could manually take over the changes. It's not really that big of a deal. They use computers to run lighting and video for huge touring shows. Using them to send MIDI changes is small potatoes compared to that.

It's funny. I think guitarists are way more concerned about this kind of stuff than other musicians. Perhaps we're control freaks. Guys have been using soft synths with laptops integrated into the keyboard rigs for well over a decade now, and in that sort of setup, the laptop is doing actual audio processing.

If its JUST relying on the midi sequencing alone then it wouldn't be as bad I suppose, but even that can be at the mercy of the operating system Ableton runs within.

Introduce VST's into the mix and the risk becomes greater. I'd personally keep it all within the studio realm at the moment and manually control my gear live. Yeh ok, maybe us guitarists really are control freaks. :lol: