Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alternative to Tremel-no?

I remember browsing this forum a while ago, reading of an alternative to the tremol-no. Does anyone know what that is? Is there a reason why you prefer that over the tremel-no?

I've been noticing that my 69's modelling (especially with the Twang and Spank) has been "plunk"-y in comparison to the magnetic pickups and my experience with single-coil guitars. I've been wondering if the floating nature of my setup is contributing to that sound. The "plunk"-yness is especially noticeable with the lower E and A strings. I was hoping a system like the tremol-no can "block" the trem and give me a livelier response on-demand (obviously, giving up the use of the trem arm). 

I should also mention that my guitar has a maple fingerboard, so the all-maple-ness could contribute to the softer response of the lower strings.

Regardless, the 69 is an outstanding super-strat guitar. Using the non-locking-nut tremolo is as good as it gets for me: smooth action and doesn't go out of tune. It really makes playing with the acoustic models really, really fun. This guitar was my first foray into trem guitars, and I'm very happy this trem system has given me zero headaches so far!

I remember browsing this forum a while ago, reading of an alternative to the tremol-no. Does anyone know what that is? Is there a reason why you prefer that over the tremel-no?

I think you may be referring to the Hipshot Tremsetter.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

I didn't know about the Tremol-no at the time I bought it and installed it on my Variax 600 (years ago). Seemed like it worked but I always had problems with the trem on my 600 even after a pro set up. As I recall it kept it in tune a bit better with a Graphtech graphite nut and lived up to the claims from their video.

There are a bunch of alternatives.  This site gives reviews and is good for comparisons of the various products...

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/index.html

• 5 years later...

Has anyone here tried the Tremmory system yet? http://www.guitarsupgrade.de/en_US

If yes, what's your thoughts on it?

I'm thinking of going with this one for my JTV 69. Would like to confirm which size would be the best fit though. I'm not sure if it'd be the smaller (71mm) or the mid-sized one (76mm).  

From the image attached and the following instructions would anyone be able to help me picking up the correct size? I'm not the most guitar-tech savy guy on the planet and I live in Brazil, so I don't want to mess it up. =D

"it is imperative to check the length between the tremolo block and the spring claw to ensure that the Tremmory system fits the length of your guitar. For this purpose the free space between the spring claw and the tremolo block must be measured subtracting 3-5mm."   (taken from the manual: http://www.guitarsupgrade.de/WebRoot/Store20/Shops/81533687/MediaGallery/Tremmory_Einbaueinleitung_EN.pdf )

Should I go with the smaller one then?  I'd also like to know if the adjusting screw would fit into the cavity of the springs compartment if I wanted to keep it closed. I've read one review from a guy saying he wasn't able to close the lid on his guitar anymore. But I'm assuming this must vary from model to model. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tremmory.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 4:22 AM, yuriamorim said:

Has anyone here tried the Tremmory system yet? http://www.guitarsupgrade.de/en_US

If yes, what's your thoughts on it?

I'm thinking of going with this one for my JTV 69. Would like to confirm which size would be the best fit though. I'm not sure if it'd be the smaller (71mm) or the mid-sized one (76mm).  

From the image attached and the following instructions would anyone be able to help me picking up the correct size? I'm not the most guitar-tech savy guy on the planet and I live in Brazil, so I don't want to mess it up. =D

"it is imperative to check the length between the tremolo block and the spring claw to ensure that the Tremmory system fits the length of your guitar. For this purpose the free space between the spring claw and the tremolo block must be measured subtracting 3-5mm."   (taken from the manual: http://www.guitarsupgrade.de/WebRoot/Store20/Shops/81533687/MediaGallery/Tremmory_Einbaueinleitung_EN.pdf )

Should I go with the smaller one then?  I'd also like to know if the adjusting screw would fit into the cavity of the springs compartment if I wanted to keep it closed. I've read one review from a guy saying he wasn't able to close the lid on his guitar anymore. But I'm assuming this must vary from model to model. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tremmory.png

I am also thinking about a Tremmory for my JTV-69...and also am unsure about which length unit to buy. I guess that you would have to screw the claw plate as far as it will go towards the front of the cavity (as above )  and  subtract 3-5mm from the distance between it and the front edge of the trem block.

I was wondering if they mean 3.5mm rather than between 3-5mm?

I also read somewhere on another forum that you can replace the thumb wheel with an Allen head screw (not sure whether this is supplied)

Be glad of any other info...