Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch for Dual input Variax/Microphone - Video

oehman

I did a quick video explaining a simple set up to use the HD500X for guitar and vocals into powered speakers.

My usual band set up is Variax--HD500X--Mackie Mixer--Powered EV speakers

Vocal Mic --TC Helicon VoiceLive Play-- mixer --

Roland Drums direct to mixer

Bass direct to mixer

IEM for me & bassist/floor monitor for drums

But I wanted the simplest setup possible for doing solo shows. The HD500X rocks. Vocals sound almost as good as the Helicon (I do miss the pitch correction a little...)

By using dual input patches, I can do a solo show with

Variax

VDI cable

HD500X

3 XLR cables

Microphone

Mic Stand

iPhone (for backing trax)

1/8 to 1/8 cable

one or two powered speakers.

Entire setup can fit on the back seat of my car!

YouTube link is

• Upvote 2

Sweet!!!!! Well done, gotta check out this video.. I have only scratched the surface of using the gear with dual inputs, very cool to see people using the XLR input for vocals like this.

You won't miss the pitch correction; it's a lovely crutch, but in the end, just makes your actual vocal ability suffer.

I had a VoiceLive 3, and I *loved* it. But I relied on it too much, and just to see what I was really singing, recorded the dry un-pitch corrected signal along with the pitch corrected signal. Oh man.... Painful. I sounded awful. I have heard myself in standard recordings with no pitch correction, and my singing and pitch control was way,way better.

The issue I had was, either you stage monitor only the dry signal, then you can't hear what the VL is doing for pitch correction. Or, you stage monitor both the pitch correct and the dry tone, and you are constantly pitch correcting yourself to make the slight phasing go away. Which is not a bad idea - but you would only want to run the pitch corrected voice to the mains at that point, so again, a bit of a disconnect from the stage to the audience. If you have a good soundperson, they can make sure the right parts go the correct ears, bit without one--you are risking major mess. OOPs! just sent the audience the un-pitch corrected signal, and sent the pitch corrected to stage.

You think you are singing in tune because you can't hear that you are out of tune, and the audience hears you wailing away all pitchy and it sounds terrible. Not a pleasant thought....