Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv59 & Gr33

Put the GK 3 Pickup on and tracks really nice.  Really like the 12 string acoustic with strings on the GR 33.

Does anyone actually use a Roland guitar synth when playing with, e.g. a cover band?  I can find all sorts of solo performances on YouTube and plenty of synth-oriented original stuff, but no examples at all of a guitarist covering a real keyboard or horn part in an ensemble situation.  I've been toying with the idea of using a GK3 and GR-55 with my JTV-69, but am starting to get the impression that the Roland may sound better on paper than in reality.

Here's a video I saw over on the VGuitar forum (  http://www.vguitarforums.com  ) awhile back. I think it shows off  examples of a guitarist (and bass player) using the GR-55 for real keyboard or horn parts in an ensemble situation.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8174.0

There are many more videos of groups on the gig and in the basemant but you have to search the videos which are primarily tutorials.

In one of the bands I play with, we cover Alicia Keys' "Girl on fire", and it's me who plays the organ part with a Roland GR55.
Then there are some dance/disco songs that don't need any guitar but do need other stuff, and there's layering.
For example: I'm playing a JTV acoustic model and need some extra kick for some section of a song, so, on the correspondent

GR patch, I have another 6 string acoustic, or a 12 string, ready to be used. There are many other examples of layering I do.
I'm using the GR55 into the fx return of an HD500, and two variaxes (JTV89 and 700)