Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Practices Patch Changing

musical1212

I like to have my HD500X set up with performance view assigning FS1-FX8 to toggle FXs on and off. I also use the HD500X edit software. It seems like when I change patches, either with the edit software engaged or not, the pedal does not respond consistently. Sometimes I think, when I go back to a patch, that it went back to its original saved state, and most times I think it stays the same way I left it.

So, I have finally learned to edit a patch to my satisfaction. As I use a patch over and over, should it always go back to the way I originally saved it or should it return to the way I left it after I used it? 

I include in my patch a forced guitar model for my JTV-69. If I change it during performance, does it stay in its changed mode when I return to it?

If you make changes in the edit software, you can return to the original by selecting the patch and clicking the receive button. Is there a way to manually bring back the original save of the patch or the original set on the HD500X?   

If you are using the unit standalone (ie: not connected to PC with HD500X Edit active) - then when you change a parameter it will take immediate affect - however it will not be permanent until you physically SAVE the patch by pressing the save button and confirming you want to save it.   Once you have done that then it should consistently return to the settings that you last SAVEd.

If you are using the unit connected to PC with HD500X active, then ensure you NEVER touch the physical controls or pedal on the unit - only adjust the values using HD500X EDIT - then when you are happy with you changes make sure you SAVE the patch by sending it back to the unit and wait for a few seconds to allow it to write the patch back to the units flash memory.  Once you have done that then the unit should consistently recall the settings you last SAVEd.

If you want to recall original settings or previous saved versions of patches then you can only do that if you backup your patch list when connected to HD500X EDIT.  Obviously if you don't save the patch the original settings will be retained and can be recalled by re-selecting the patch. Once you have a backup then you can recall previous saved patches when you want.

You can restore original factory settings on the unit by manually re-initializing it if necessary but you can't manually recall a previous patch if it has been overwritten unless you first saved a backup on your PC via HD500X edit.

• Upvote 1

..... Is there a way to manually bring back the original save of the patch or the original set on the HD500X?  

Yes. First tap a footswitch to select a different patch without saving changes to the current patch. Then select the previous patch again. It is now loaded from the device memory in its last-saved state, overwriting the recently unsaved changes.

• Upvote 1

I believe the OP is talking about playing live. Let's say he has a patched called up and he's playing along, turning FX on/off. Then he switches to a new patch and plays along. Then he switches back to the original patch. The question is: are the states if the FX the same as when he left them or do they revert to the state they power-up in? I believe they revert back to their power-up state.

edstar1960 and silverhead have found the answer to my dilemma. I have played with the HD500X plugged up to the computer (with HD Edit software engaged) much more than played live with it (with the edit software not engaged). In case anyone is confused as I was, here are the 3 ways your patch change acts:

1. So, with the edit software engaged, if you edit a patch by turning an FX off with your mouse in the software, then disconnect the computer, then change a patch, then come back to the patch you edited, it will revert to its original state, FX on.

2. With the edit software engaged, if you edit a patch by turning the FX off with your footswitch on the HD500X, then disconnect the edit software, change to another patch, then come back to the edited patch, the patch will have retained the changed state, FX off.

3. With the edit software not engaged, if you turn the FX off, go to another patch, and come back to the edited patch, it will revert to its original state, FX on.

Hard to believe this wasn't self evident to me. Thanks so much for clearing this up.

Are you certain about the behaviour in your #2 description? Is it consistent and repeatable? I can't understand how the device can retain its information about the unsaved FX state (off) after switching patches. I would have expected the same behaviour as in #3.

• Upvote 1

Are you certain about the behaviour in your #2 description? Is it consistent and repeatable? I can't understand how the device can retain its information about the unsaved FX state (off) after switching patches. I would have expected the same behaviour as in #3.

Silverhead, I have checked again to make sure I did not make an error in my #2 description. After checking again, I still stand by my statement. It has caused me great confusion because logic would agree with your assumption, which was mine as well. A lot of users would never notice because they don't use the edit software at all or much. I find that using the software while I am playing helps me learn much more about the unit. I love being able to see all the set lists. I love being able to see what effects are chosen and the order they are placed. I love being able to find the different ways Exp1 and Exp 2 are used by seeing visually to what they are assigned. I always had the edit software running while I was playing with the HD500X. So, I ended up putting the HD500X on a desk, and using my hand to physically make changes on the pedal or the software, depending on what was easier. And before that, I kept the pedal on the floor and would make a change with my foot as often as my mouse. So, I stayed confused on how a patch might react because I had never figured this illogical, unmentioned in the manual peculiarity out.

Note a quote from edstar, "If you are using the unit connected to PC with HD500X active, then ensure you NEVER touch the physical controls or pedal on the unit ". Until I figured this out, I had little success even getting a patch saved correctly. So, best practices is when using the edit software, click with the mouse all you want but don't touch the HD500X, including the expression pedal(s). I also try to save a changed patch after each change. 

Having used line6 for a few years now, I am sad to say that I am not at all surprised. It's just typical of their gear. The idea of user-friendly is rather alien to them, and now they've met their perfect match in Yamaha. There's no way in hell I'll be putting money into a line6-yamaha overengineered halfbaked user hostile gearpile. I will buy a musical instrument instead.