Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can an HD300 use the Settings from a Flextone III?

Butch_Snyder

I have a line on a used HD300 for a very good price.  I have two Flextone III Plus amps; one I use at home and one I keep at church so I don't have to move anything every week.  I basically will tweak and change different settings at home then upload them to my amp at church.  Pretty easy....

Recently, we had a couple of weeks where the main praise band wasn't going to play.  So, I had to cart everything off stage.  Not a big deal, but if I had a nice floor POD that I could get to sound as good as my Flextone, that would be cool; because I could pack it up every week and leave the stage clean.

From a technical view, is it possible to upload the tones from my Flextone to an HD300?  We'll start the dialog there, I guess...

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

-Butch

No, you can't upload them. You can try to recreate them manually, but the underlying modeling is different. That means the same amp and FX models with the same parameter values will sound different on the two devices. So you can use that as a starting point for tweaking but you can't avoid the tweaking.

You also need to consider your output devices. What are you going to connect the HD300 outputs to? That will greatly impact any attempt to recreate the Flextone sound.

Also, the HD amp modeling in the Hd300 is (in most people's opinion) an improvement over earlier modeling technologies. You should be able to create superior tones. Why would your goal be to exactly reproduce arguably inferior tones?

So while it initially sounds reasonable I think it is misguided to try to recreate tones from previous devices. I would start from scratch with the Hd300. Plan on a learning and experimenting curve before using it live. Ignore your Flextone settings and find a better sound with the Hd300.

another thought would be to get a Firehawk instead of the 300.  I beleive you will be way better off in the long run.  The 300 has been discontinued and will not get new updates, firmware, models etc.  It has limited functionality compared to the other POD HD models or the Firehawk.  At least the Firehawk will be able to recreate your tones fairly easily since many of the same models will be already there and it should have an easier learning curve than the POD HD models for setting up your tones.

Remember that with either of these options you will still need an amp or go straight to PA.  You can always use the Firehawk into the FX Return on your Flextone, bypassing all the internal amps and effects or just go straight to PA which is probably what you will want to do in this setting.

I think it will be well worth the extra bucks to go Firehawk over an HD300...

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm basically wanting a really good floor unit I can run direct to the PA.  We play a lot at other churches.  When I walk in with an amp, be it my Flextone III, a Fender tube amp, etc, the sound guys just cringe; let alone if I bring in my Flextone III ext cab.  I believe Line 6's POD products are good enough for me to be able to pack up the unit and my guitar and plug the XLR outs to the house and get a good tone.

So, that's what I'm looking to do....

Sounds like a good plan, and I think you'll end up being happy. But it will take some time to find your HD300 tones through a PA. And again, I wouldn't start by uploading your Flextone settings, even if that were possible, or by trying to reproduce them manually.

P.S. - I agree with radatats. The Firehawk might be a better choice for you.

I'm basically wanting a really good floor unit I can run direct to the PA.

All the more reason to avoid the 300 or 400... they are both discontinued and will no longer receive updates or upgrades.  Go with a Firehawk FX or a HD500(X) as they will give you years of service with continued support, updates and new features.  Well worth the change for you in my opinion.