Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What is Global EQ (GEQ)

dhewer

Hi Group.

Dumb question(s), but what is GEQ?  How different is it from the current firmware for the POD 500X?  Where will it be?

What changes if any to 'the tone'?  Is there something on the board now that I am not aware of?

I really like the POD 500X....But I am still new to it. Thanks

dH

WHAT IS IT? 

Think about your Master Volume. That is what the Master EQ is. >>> I am calling it Master EQ from now on, its easier for some to understand. 

It is separate from all of the other eq's. It is the MASTER. 

WHERE IS IT? 

Right now, it is nowhere. It has not been released yet. 

If I understood it correctly (I didn't pay too much attention to this part), it will be adjusted using the physical 'amp' knobs. 

**see the correct place a couple posts down. 

WHAT CHANGES TO ANY TONE? 

No changes to your tone, other than  -- HELLO, ITS AN EQ. But you can bypass it when not needed.   

The best usage for it is for 'room shaping'. That way, when you are in a different room, which will have different acoustics, you can adjust your tone without changing your patches. Much like a master volume, you can adjust how loud you need to be given a particular situation. You can adjust your EQ. 

I don't like how Charlie said that it is there for all of your patches. He is right, but his wording may confuse people. It has nothing to do with your patches. 

• Upvote 2

WHERE IS IT? 

Right now, it is nowhere. It has not been released yet. 

If I understood it correctly (I didn't pay too much attention to this part), it will be adjusted using the physical 'amp' knobs.

When 2.6 is released (we're still on track for the end of March for HD500X/Pro X and HD500/Pro/Bean shortly thereafter), Global EQ will be found on the last page of the Setup menu. Pressing ENTER will bypass and enable it; knob 1 selects the band for adjustment; knobs 2-4 adjust the select band's parameters.

With proper Hz/kHz and dB values.  ;)

• Upvote 2

Of course its a 'value'. 

Its a free feature that was not included with the original product. You can't do better than that.. 

BUT: 

For me, personally, I have no usage for a Master EQ. I let the soundman do that sort of stuff. So, even though it can be bypassed, depending on what other little tweaks are included with the firmware, I may not even bother downloading it. 

But I am just one guy, and I have different needs than you may have. 

When 2.6 is released (we're still on track for the end of March for HD500X/Pro X and HD500/Pro/Bean shortly thereafter), Global EQ will be found on the last page of the Setup menu. Pressing ENTER will bypass and enable it; knob 1 selects the band for adjustment; knobs 2-4 adjust the select band's parameters.

With proper Hz/kHz and dB values.  ;)

Any idea how it will factor into the Link outputs to DT amps?

• 5 months later...

Ok, so if it is turned Off, how does it affect the sound of ones patches? I am running direct into a guitar amp (1/2, stack)input.Thanks

Has no effect if it's off.

Which, IMO, is exactly where you want it. 

You don't want it changing your sound -- until you need it to change your sound. 

Well, actually a live situation is probably one of the main reasons it's there - to correct for room resonances and feedback nodes. If the sound guy's not fixing that problem, or his equipment isn't sophisticated enough to do a satisfactory job, or if you don't even have a sound guy, then the Master EQ is what you'd use.

I think the sound guy should tweak on his end what the GEQ does. Thus negating the need for a GEQ.  

I also think that most people use the tone controls on (physical) amps wrong, THAT should do what the GEQ does. 

But smith is right, live for 'room shaping' is a good place to use it if you are using a lackluster sound guy/system. 

Also, some of the users have found it good to use it as a 'junk remover'. Where they find some unheard frequency that makes dogs howl and then remove it. 

Good for them. I don't make dogs howl, so I don't need it for that reason. 

But ultimately, the best way to use GEQ is --- 

it is your machine, do whatever you want. Just keep in mind that any changes to it will change everything else. 

That perfect patch you made yesterday won't sound so good tomorrow when you adjust your GEQ for the next patch. 

Thanks Phil and pianoguy. So you would agree that it is best in the off position for doing live performances? Which is the reason I bought it in the first place. Lugging an amp head onto an airplane is costly. Thanks again for your time.

It's really no different than any other EQ. It's there if you need it. Every room you play in is different. If, for example, you find one night that everything is sounding muddy, then turn it on, and roll of the low end off a bit, otherwise you're stuck digging into every patch and tweaking each one separately.