Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

F*#%k! What Just Happened?!?!

Tboneous

There I was, recording my little heart out and I needed som wah-wah. As per usual, HD edit crashed (as it always does when using the on board expression pedal) I didn't want to go through the process of shutting down my DAW so I hit the "ok" button knowing that this will erase all of my patches except the one that I am using at the moment. I figured that I would stay in my creative flow and do the whole shutting down and rebooting process after I finished recording this one little passage.

The genius that I am, I decided to try something new. I hit the send All button on the HD edit. AAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH! ALL OF MY PATCHES ARE GONE! Why did I do that!

And NO! I didn't have a back up! Hours of tweaking gone!

But you know what? This is exactly what I needed! I reflashed the POD and got the factory bundle reinstalled.

I basically have a brand new pod to play with but this time around I have a lot of experience behind me.

I'm not trying to figure out how the POD works. I can just dive in and start creating patches that make sense and have them in an order that makes sense. Save my bundles and set lists in a manner that makes sense! Sure, I have lost some presets that I really liked. Presets that took me a long time to dial in. But a lot of that time was spent figuring out the difference between eq's and the different modulation types, mic options, DEP stuff and so on.

I am going from "I wonder what will happen if....", to "I know what will happen when..." So recreating my lost patches has been pretty simple so far.

I had run so deep down the POD rabbit hole, that it is oddly refreshing and exciting to have to start over.

And here is something that I NEVER thought would be possible; a lot of the factory presets sound pretty darn good to me! I know that is crazy talk but it's true! Yes there is some stuff that is just plain goofy (Mysterious Wei comes to mind) but I am finding that I like quite a few of the factory offerings. Where as before, I had written them all off as garbage.

So that is my tale of disaster and the Lotus flower that has risen from the ashes! Pretty cool in my mind!

But seriously Line 6, you gotta do something about the crashing HD Edit expression pedal issue! It is REALLY ANOYING!

• Upvote 3

like you, I have on a few occasions just reflashed my POD back to factory specs.  Make sure you do a global reset and then recalibrate the expression pedal too.  That MIGHT fix your issues with the pedal and HD Edit.  Personally, I don't have any issues with HD Edit so not totally sure...

Global Reset

Pedal Calibration

When using the edit software, I have become so accustomed to doing something that it's second nature. But sometimes this can work against you by blindly hitting the send or receive button with no focus on accuracy. Ugg! So don't feel too bad about hitting the send button. (hint, redundant backups backups)

The rest of your post is a well thought out rationalization for something you probably truly wish never happened. Nice one. :D

And like you, I've had the edit software cause the pod to crash because of the expression pedal, several times. A couple of times required at least a global reset and once required a firmware flash.

1. Don't get too attached. Updates roll out soon. That means you'll lose all unsaved patches and have a brand new pod again. 

2. My suggestion is save individual patches, not just bundles. You will always have a copy of the original, but it also allows you to reorder them based on the gig's setlist. 

If I accidentally wiped my POD, I'd seriously consider taking up the bassoon...WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time invested getting it to sound good, lol. I shudder at the idea of starting from scratch.

Don't you have it backed up to a hard drive???  I generally save patches but I definitely save setlists and occasionally the whole bundle for security.

Don't you have it backed up to a hard drive???  I generally save patches but I definitely save setlists and occasionally the whole bundle for security.

Oh, of course....just goofin' ;). Although I don't do it as often as I should. Come to think of it, I think that's first on the agenda for tonite.

1. Don't get too attached. Updates roll out soon. That means you'll lose all unsaved patches and have a brand new pod again. 

2. My suggestion is save individual patches, not just bundles. You will always have a copy of the original, but it also allows you to reorder them based on the gig's setlist. 

So, I have the POD HD500 and did not re-ante for the 500x...does anyone know if the new frimware will be available for my POD as well?

When I was doing my own SW projects at home I kept backup disks at work.  I don't always have a full backup offsite but that is always a good idea.  Theft, fire, etc can trash your whole system and backups if they are all in one place.  I also always verify my backups and keep at least the last two versions.  Call me paranoid.  By the way, I work for a company that makes hard drives.  I know what can go wrong with them!

• Upvote 1

The rest of your post is a well thought out rationalization for something you probably truly wish never happened. Nice one. :D

You ain't lying about that! If I could roll back the hands of time and keep the knowledge that I have today, I would have had a backup of my back up and never would have hit that stupid button! But when handed lemons, if you handle it right, you really can make some pretty tasty lemonade.

You ain't lying about that! If I could roll back the hands of time and keep the knowledge that I have today, I would have had a backup of my back up and never would have hit that stupid button! But when handed lemons, if you handle it right, you really can make some pretty tasty lemonade.

You should try hitting "the button" and deleting an entire personnel table in a database.  Talk about your basic "come to Jesus" moment!  I was in the Air Force at the time and I seriously thought I was going to lose my water lol...

Did that years ago when I was starting out and as a consequence I learned how to restore SQL databases properly -- a skill they now pay me well to know!

So as I understand things, this upcoming flash memory release will provide support for model packs and also provide a global EQ capability...is that right/all?

Yeah Man! That's how I understand it.

http://line6.com/news/pressReleases/1590/

POD HD v.2.6 firmware will be available in the first quarter of 2015 for POD HD500, HD500X, POD HD, POD HD Pro, and POD HD Pro X, and can be downloaded via the Line 6 Intelligent Updater software. Learn more about POD HD at http://line6.com/pod-firmware-update/.

Edited by Brazzy