#1 bvaladez74

bvaladez74

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

So I've used the G50, flawlessly for about a year and a half.  Many many gigs with no issues.  

Last gig, plugged in...and right away on my clean channels...I noticed everything was distorted...as if I had a piercing OD or Distortion pedal on.  I quickly started troubleshooting.  Went straight to wireless/amp....and same thing.  Distorted signal.  I even tried a 2nd transmitter and obviously new batteries with the same result.  Tried all 12 channels with the same result.  I went to a cable and had to finish out my gig weekend that way, with no issues.  

I get signal, output just fine....but distorted, which obviously you'd notice moreso on clean channels.  

My rig is a high gain Egnater head, pedal board, etc.  I'm playing through a Musicman Axis (with no issues) and a couple strats (one with single coils and one with HB's).  When I got back to my studio to troubleshoot, I tried different amps...eliminating anything in between guitar and amp, with same result.  I tried with a strat (single coils) and didnt notice much of an issue, but it was a slight gain hike.  So I thought that there was something wrong with my Musicman Axis or something.  I then thought to try another humbucker guitar and SAME DEAL....horrible distortion coming through clean tones on any amp, any guitar....ONLY using the G50, after trying any transmitter.

So obviously it's narrowed down to some issue with the receiver.  

Has anybody experienced this?  If so, what the hell is going on?  What a friggin hassle.

Any info would be much appreciated.  

Thanks...

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

First of all, a hearty "Well done !" regarding your comprehensive diagnostic "routine" that isolated the fault.   

I don't think I'm alone in wishing that all such problems were as methodically thought through and well-described before they hit this forum.

As a result of all you've said, I'd say that your suspicion of failure in the receiver is very well founded, indeed the receiver's analog output stage would appear to have suffered some sort of "meltdown" that will require a trip to the service lab.

Unfortunately, knowing the extreme rarity of this type of failure isn't much consolation, but here's hoping that your local dealer and/or the Line 6 support crew can restore your wireless capability with minimal delay, maybe by offering a "loaner" while "your baby" is at "the clinic".

#3 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

Could you try one more check? Can you plug into something totally clean such as a PA mixer or a recording system, thereby eliminating your guitar amp from the signal chain. I don't expect you'll get a different result if the receiver indeed have some kind of hardware failure ... But it could help rule out any other cause before you send it I for servicing.

One other question ... Are you using the factory power supply? If you are using a pedalboard power supply and it is not providing enough current you could experience symptoms like you are describing.

#4 bvaladez74

bvaladez74

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

I definitely tried the G50 in a smaller fender combo to rule out my main head (Egnater Armageddon).  Same distorted clean tone result.  The Egnater works fine with no degrading tone issue when using a regular cable.  I am using the factory power supply as I know a Pedal Power 2 doesn't feed enough milliamps to the receiver short of a special Y cable...so I've always used the Line 6 power supply.  The receiver has always been mounted to my pedal board, with the power routed under the pedal board...plugged into a higher end UPS power strip....for full protection.  Nothing else on my board has issue, as well as plugging the receiver into other power sources (my furman, directly to the wall, etc)...same result.  So I've ruled out all variables.  Guitars, amps, power sources, in line interference, 2nd transmitter, etc.  

Thanks for response guys....looks like I'll call Line 6, next step...to see what they might do for me....prior to just dropping it off somewhere first.  I've experienced "authorized" repair centers..MANY TIMES...to result in horrible experiences, having to send units directly to the manufacturer.  So we'll see what Line 6 says.  

Thank you.

-Brian

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2514 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

In that case it is most likely a hardware failure and I see the service center in your future :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users