Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

line6 4x12 cab making a loud noise when turned on.

colakid09

I have a line6 4x12 cabinet connected to my Marshall MG100hdfx 100 watt amp and its been working fine for about a year and all of a sudden when i turn it on now it just makes a really loud low tone with some static. Ive tried changing cables to connect it and nothing worked. I connected the cabinet to see if it worked by connecting it to the headphones input on my tv and it worked. I tried plugging headphones into the amp and the amp worked fine then. What am i doing wrong?  

I have a line6 4x12 cabinet connected to my Marshall MG100hdfx 100 watt amp and its been working fine for about a year and all of a sudden when i turn it on now it just makes a really loud low tone with some static. Ive tried changing cables to connect it and nothing worked. I connected the cabinet to see if it worked by connecting it to the headphones input on my tv and it worked. I tried plugging headphones into the amp and the amp worked fine then. What am i doing wrong?  

Anything is possible, but assuming that the input jack on the cab doesn't have any loose connections, it not very likely that the cabinet is the problem...just isn't much going on inside. It's just a box with speakers that spits out the signal you feed it. Whatever is wrong is most likely in the amp. Find another cabinet to plug into, and see if the same thing happens. If so, then you know it's the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea what could be wrong with the amp?

No way to tell from here. And even if I was standing in front of it, it wouldn't make much difference. When my gear dies, I take it to the shop, throw it up on the bench, and announce "It's broken". :P

Did you test the amp with another cabinet? If not, do that first to rule out the cabinet as the source of the problem. See if you hear the same thing through another cabinet. Otherwise you'll just waste time and money chasing an amp problem that doesn't exist. Anything piece in the rig can $&!@ the bed...gotta rule out one thing at a time.