Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Spider Setup

Hey guys,

I've been playing via a Line 6 Spider IV 75W for a while now, and was thinking of getting some beginner recording gear. I was looking at the focusrite scarlett studio package (with the Scarlett 2i2).

My question is (as a newbie) what set up would I need to start recording? Would I be able to connect my line 6 spider to the 2i2 without the need for a mic, or is that not an option? Open to other starter AI packages too :)

Any advice appreciated!

Yes, you can do this without a mic.   Using the DI/headphone output of the Spider, come out of it to dual 1/4" (left + right) plugs (adapter cable or cable + adapters) into the line inputs of the Scarlett.  This will let you take advantage of the Spider's stereo FX when used.  You could also adapt from the stereo DI/headphone output to a mono 1/4" plug into 1 of the Scarlett's inputs.

Other audio interface choices would be:

Presonus Audiobox

Steinberg UR12 or UR22

Tascam US1200  or US2x2

Line 6 UX1

Generally, the more you pay for an AI, the more features you get such as multiple line outs, MIDI capability, more inputs/mic preamps, etc.

Cheers, thanks for the reply!

In addition, I have been looking at the 2i2, 2i4 and 6i6 models. Firstly, is Scarlett a good brand to go with as a beginner. Secondly, would the 6i6 be easy to set up for a beginner?

I have no personal experience with the Scarlett interfaces, but I have read nothign bad about them.  If you're looking to be able to record more than 2 simultaneous tracks at a time in the furture, the 6i6 is a viable option.