Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50 Combo - Muting the speaker

olibee

Hi guys,

i wan´t to use the cabinet simulated direct out. What can I do to mute the speaker while using the CSDO? Only plugging in the XLR won´t help. Without muting the speaker the CSDO makes no sense to me. Is my DT50 broken or am I -hopefully- just dumb?

help appreciated!

from berlin/germany

Olli

it's just an alternative to mic'ing the cabinet... like direct to PA

you're not really missing anything... it's simply not designed to do what you're trying to do...

they did add that feature (kind of) to the dt25.... in the respects that the CSDO as you call it... still works when the amp is in standby....

not an option for the DT50 however. (DT50 came first, and has a different preamp setup than the DT25 which has a single tube rather than 2)

You can totally do what you want if you have a POD HD and L6 LINK.  From the DT50 L6 LINK Connectivity guide...:

Direct Out

The DT amplifier’s DIRECT OUT continues to function as an analog output with L6 LINK in use. Use of this XLR output is recommended to feed your “fully baked†POD HD + DT amp tone to an external recorder, mixing console, etc. Since the audio signal fed to the DT amp via L6 LINK is a mono signal, this Direct Out is a mono signal as well. Note that the Direct Out functionality differs based on the DT amp’s LOW VOLUME MODE (see page 4•3) and STANDBY switch settings:

• Low Volume Mode Off, Amp in Standby = The DT amp’s Direct Out is disabled.

• Low Volume Mode On, Amp in Standby = Direct Out signal consists of the “Full†(preamp + power amp) Amp Model with no analog amp. This is a handy option for “silent recording†while still providing the tone of a cranked amp.

• Low Volume Mode Off, Amp On (not in Standby) = Direct Out signal consists of the “Preamp†Amp Model with the analog amp.

• Low Volume Mode On, Amp On (not in Standby) = Direct Out signal consists of the “Full†Amp Model and the analog amp.

My guess is that you can do a direct out even if you don't have a POD.  Try putting it in standby and in low volume mode (Volume knob pulled out, I believe) and see what you get.

• Upvote 1

I think they turned that feature on in the DT50 with the 2.0 firmware....Originally, DT50s did not have output on the Direct out in standby...

I was able to use the direct out on standby and I was using the latest firmware.

i wan´t to use the cabinet simulated direct out. What can I do to mute the speaker

as long as you have a good midi interface, its pretty easy!

all done through Line6 Monkey.

Thanks for Your help! I guess I have to unbox the amp again to give it a try. is a firmware update easy to manage if have a firmware <2.0?

have a nice day! (night in your case, i guess...)

Thanks for Your help! I guess I have to unbox the amp again to give it a try. is a firmware update easy to manage if have a firmware <2.0?

have a nice day! (night in your case, i guess...)

I found it pretty painless. Here's a thread I created when I updated my DT50 the first time. DT50 firmware update (my notes)

Here's Line 6 Knowledge base on the update

Here's what the update gives you

I know mine was working in standby. I only used it 3 times like that in a week then it broke and I had to send it away for work. When I got it back I didn't get a chance to try it again since I only got about 12 hours out of it and it went back for service. When I get it back I'll try it. The recordings I got from the direct out sounded really good to me, I was impressed.

My samples: DT50 Direct Out into UX2

Edited by Brazzy

I have both amps....DT50 112 and a DT25 head/cab...

The amp models in both amps change to using FULL models when in LVM mode....So you basically have a typlical POD HD direct out in LVM mode....When LVM mode is OFF, the direct out signal comes from the output transformer on the power amp, along with some cab and mic love and does NOT work on standby...By far LVM off is the better sounding (feeling) option IMHO....But standby direct sounds quite nice too...

DT50 did not have this feature of getting direct out in standby....This was added in a firmware update. You pull the Master Volume for LVM on a DT50...

DT25 always had this feature...LVM switch is on the back near to the IEC power jack.

My direct out signal dies off within a second when I switch to StandBy on DT25 combo with LVM off.

It works fine with LVM on.

Maybe my DT is broke ;-(.

that's normal, this feature only ever worked in LVM mode if i recall.

I recall I was in LVM and I use the DT50 HD although I don't think the combo is much different in this manner. I haven't tried the other way yet but sounds like I need to try that too.

Sorry, got confused (and excited of having overlooked a good feature) by several comments and speed reading.

Nobody actually said that direct out works with LVM off.

Makes sense given that a transformer would not do much when the power amp is in StandBy ... dah

I just unboxed the DT50 combo again. no direct out signal when the amp is in standby and LVMO. :(

my english is not so good, so I ask that again straight forward: Will the firmware update make the DT 50 scream in standby and LVMO?

I didn´t use the midi stuff so far. I hope can make the update...

Thanks for your patience

I just unboxed the DT50 combo again. no direct out signal when the amp is in standby and LVMO. :(

my english is not so good, so I ask that again straight forward: Will the firmware update make the DT 50 scream in standby and LVMO?

I didn´t use the midi stuff so far. I hope can make the update...

Thanks for your patience

I did the update and was using the Direct Out into my UX2 while in LVM and in standby of course the speaker was connected since I'm using the "Head". It worked for me but then about a month later the amp stopped working and I had to send it in for warranty work. They said they had to replace the main board, tubes and TSB 059. I didn't have it long after I got it back since it stopped working after about 12 hours so I didn't get a chance to try it again. When I get it back this time I'll try it again 'cause I liked what I heard.

If you want a more direct answer I suggest you call Line 6 or do a Support Ticket.

yes, I opened a ticket. Waiting for answer! Thanks Brazzy!

Your Welcome! I might call them later and ask them. If you get an answer would you post it back? Also, I'll post back when I get an answer. Rock On!

Your Welcome! I might call them later and ask them. If you get an answer would you post it back? Also, I'll post back when I get an answer. Rock On!

Sure, I´ll post back! It would be great if You could call them as a native english speaker! :-)

It would be great if You could call them as a native english speaker! :-)

mtreehugger has it right! I called Line 6 too.

I would update your amp and go for it! Now I can't wait to get mine back, lol.

Last time I did it I was plugging the guitar into the front of the DT. I wasn't using a Pod.

You can totally do what you want if you have a POD HD and L6 LINK.  From the DT50 L6 LINK Connectivity guide...:

Direct Out

The DT amplifier’s DIRECT OUT continues to function as an analog output with L6 LINK in use. Use of this XLR output is recommended to feed your “fully baked†POD HD + DT amp tone to an external recorder, mixing console, etc. Since the audio signal fed to the DT amp via L6 LINK is a mono signal, this Direct Out is a mono signal as well. Note that the Direct Out functionality differs based on the DT amp’s LOW VOLUME MODE (see page 4•3) and STANDBY switch settings:

• Low Volume Mode Off, Amp in Standby = The DT amp’s Direct Out is disabled.

• Low Volume Mode On, Amp in Standby = Direct Out signal consists of the “Full†(preamp + power amp) Amp Model with no analog amp. This is a handy option for “silent recording†while still providing the tone of a cranked amp.

• Low Volume Mode Off, Amp On (not in Standby) = Direct Out signal consists of the “Preamp†Amp Model with the analog amp.

• Low Volume Mode On, Amp On (not in Standby) = Direct Out signal consists of the “Full†Amp Model and the analog amp.

My guess is that you can do a direct out even if you don't have a POD.  Try putting it in standby and in low volume mode (Volume knob pulled out, I believe) and see what you get.

Edited by Brazzy

mtreehugger has it right! I called Line 6 too.

I would update your amp and go for it! Now I can't wait to get mine back, lol.

Last time I did it I was plugging the guitar into the front of the DT. I wasn't using a Pod.

I'm surprised to read that a firmware update is needed to enable the silent recording option!  

As for the need to have a POD HD, I suspect that this might not be needed.  It would make more sense from a design standpoint to have this particular functionality be solely an amp thing.  After all, the switches that pertain here are on the amp and not on the pod, so why would the designers require a POD be connected?  I think it's just that the only place this functionality is documented is in the POD HD connectivity guide for DT, so it was written the way it was--but that's just my guess and I can't test it because my amp is also in the shop.

I'm surprised to read that a firmware update is needed to enable the silent recording option!

I'm not positive about needing to update the firmware to get the functions but it certainly seems that way. I always update my stuff as soon as I can. I'm just that way. If it's supposed to function I want make sure it does so that I can know it's all working as it should and if it doesn't I can get it fixed before it gets too old, lol.

I agree, it's probably worded that way since it's all about the HD and DT working together but you don't need the Pod to get great sound from the DT or to use the Direct Out. It's just that the Pod adds so much more it's almost silly not to have it.

Edited by Brazzy

well i am 100% certain that this feature was not in the release version...  (unless you just happen to get one that has v2 on it from the start, ive never seen one that did)

i trust the other guys that say the feature is included in the update.

Okay. Did the update today. Every thing works pretty fine now. Got the direct out signal while the amp is in standby and LVMO.

Thanks to You all guys!

Can´t say anything good about the line6 support. the support ticket is open for eight days now. No reply! :(

• Upvote 1

Okay. Did the update today. Every thing works pretty fine now. Got the direct out signal while the amp is in standby and LVMO.

Thanks to You all guys!

Can´t say anything good about the line6 support. the support ticket is open for eight days now. No reply! :(

I was hoping you just do the update, lol. I'm still waiting to get my DT50 back. I suggest you try every possible comination the DT has to offer in order to make sure it all works.

Have Fun!!