Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Perform > Scenes does NOT store output info?

The Main Out setting is not saved with a setup or scene; that is normal.

The Monitor Send levels per channel should be saved with the scene. I don't think the overall monitor output level is saved with either the setup or the scene.

The idea is that when loading a new setup the main and monitor output levels are set to zero, regardless of what their settings were when the Setup was saved. This is for protection in the event that a Setup's saved settings would be very, and harmfully, loud in a much smaller venue/location. Imagine if the Setup was last tweaked/saved in a large hall, and the output levels for the mains and monitors suitable for the hall were saved/stored. Then when you went home to your little studio  and reloaded the Setup the volume level would blast the windows out of your room. :D That's why the channel/send levels are stored, preserving the mix, but not the master levels.

Thanks Eh!

The Main out not saving explanation makes a bit of sense - But it IS recalled with a Setup IF you save the Setup before powering down, then power up with the same Setup.  So that explanation is moot.  It would make more sense if it was saved with a scene as 1 band (setup) might go to different rooms (scenes) that need different levels.  I go to different rooms with different FOH and plug in the M20d.  It would be great to recall levels to mains and mons.

With more testing - Neither muting nor levels are saving:

Perform > Show Faders > Outs >Scenes > Save As

I made one with Faders at zero and 2 muted

I made a second with faders pulled and none muted

These don't get recalled with the Scenes

My monitor sends are not being saved/recalled within Scenes.  :-(

I go to different rooms with different FOH and plug in the M20d.  It would be great to recall levels to mains and mons.

For this situation to work, you would have to be sure that no levels changed on the FOH system. So either you have to check all their gain settings, or you simply bring up your main and monitor sends till you get what you need.

It seems easier to glance at FOH system (just to see that knobs are in a reasonable place), then adjust as needed on the M20d.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For this situation to work, you would have to be sure that no levels changed on the FOH system. So either you have to check all their gain settings, or you simply bring up your main and monitor sends till you get what you need.

It's very easy, I look at the back of the powered speakers and see that they are set to 0 gain.  

timothy... Why decrease Rick's reputation simply because he hasn't given you the answer you seem desperate to hear?

I concur with everything he has said.

But it IS recalled with a Setup IF you save the Setup before powering down, then power up with the same Setup.

You are misunderstanding what is going off here.

M20d loads the last settings it had at powering down. This includes main out levels and main monitor levels.

In this instance, the M20d is NOT loading the saved setup, it is loading its last settings. If you neglected to save before powering down, it wouldn't matter. Everything would be there, as it was as soon as you boot up again.

It would make more sense if it was saved with a scene as 1 band (setup) might go to different rooms (scenes) that need different levels.

Scenes are not intended to be used in that way.

Your band lineup is a setup: Input preset assignments, eq, fx, trim and channel levels etc

Your band in a different room is a different setup. Granted one with the same input preset assignments.

A scene is a change of levels/fx that is applied split second during a sinlge performance, (as an example) you have a song in your set which needs considerably more or less reverb on your vocalist's mic that the rest of your set OR you have a really quiet number where it would be beneficial to have the multiple backing vox mics muted.

When we've had a great gig, and it looks like we'll be back to a venue, I save the setup before I do anything else on the M20d. When we return, I load the setup, check the trims and we still soundcheck as if we were doing it the first time. Where we gain is that the mix is a lot faster to accomplish the second time round. Set monitor output levels and the main outs and we're good to go.

• Upvote 1

timothy... Why decrease Rick's reputation simply because he hasn't given you the answer you seem desperate to hear?

I concur with everything he has said.

I took no offense; it's just that we all do things differently. There are times when I, too, have wished that the monitor output levels were stored. But I've made the old "Hit the button while the level is too high" mistake enough times that I know it's far safer if the levels are down. It may take me a moment to remember that I have to raise the monitor levels, but it's safe!

And Si, you have a lot more experience with the M20d than I...I'm glad for the endorsement!

Certainly wasn't meant to be offensive - I downvoted a comment that didn't answer my question or contribute to the conversation, simple as that.  Talk about FOH adjustments and such don't help me.  We can hypothesize about what the M20d might be hooked up for days, but it's not what this forum is for.  Any ideas for using the device are welcome. 

If it just isn't possible to store monitor and mains levels, I guess this is done.  Just because I'm asking how to do something different than anyone else might do it isn't making me 'desperate', just a noob with questions.  You can explain why it doesn't work for you, for me it would be helpful if it did.

My acts are all using in ears - To recall the monitor outs would be super handy.

Certainly wasn't meant to be offensive - I downvoted a comment that didn't answer my question...

Ah, I tend to not even look at any of the up/down voting stuff on forums. I was wondering if that was what happened...but I couldn't easily find where I might find that score. No harm, no foul.