Photo

Stereo Or 2 Outputs (like My Piezo-equipped Fender Strat) Via A Pair Of Beltpacks' Ta4 Connectors.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sgerick

sgerick

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

I have two G55 wireless receivers I use in my live performance rig. One routes signal to one effects/amp signal chain and the other one to a separate effects/amp signal chain.

I love this setup since I can switch channels on my transmitters on the fly and play through either of the signal chains.

Recently, I had an old Strat I like to use fitted with an LR Baggs X-bridge and Control-X preamp. The signal comes out of my Strat on a TRS jack. The tip connection is the piezo pickup and the ring connection is the output from my standard Strat pickups. I use a standard insert cable to physically route the acoustic/piezo signal to an input on my PA mixer using the tip TS plug and the Strat pickup signal to the input of a third amp.

What I want to do is route the piezo/acoustic signal to a new G55 transmitter pack that will communicate with a new G55 receiver that's plugged into the PA mixer with the XLR output on the new G55 receiver.

I also want to have a second G55 transmitter pack connected to the Ring-side of the insert cable that I can switch between channels of my existing G55 wireless setup mentioned above. I would mount both of the transmitter packs on my Strat guitar strap.

This seems pretty straight-forward, but I don't want to build any cables myself and wondered if someone knew a company that specializes in making a specialized insert cable that I can plug into two transmitters mounted on my guitar strap.....

Thanks!

Steve Gerick

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Well Steve...

I'm sure you'll appreciate that replacing the mono 1/4" jacks on your insert "Y" cable with TA4F plugs does remain the neatest way to create a custom fitting , as the only "store bought" bits that I can think of will probably require you to devise some sort of neat fastening onto your guitar strap or belt, for both comfort and reliability.

Mind you, replacement or troubleshooting "on the road" will probably be made a lot easier with this "off the shelf" approach.

You'd start by replacing your existing "insert" cable with one of these "Y" cables http://www.bhphotovi..._4_Male_to.html from your Strat's 1/4" "stereo" TRS socket.

(I'd be buying two, ...one being the "spare".)

Then use a pair of these https://www.globalfu...ode=98-033-0025 to convey each separate output to its own beltpack transmitter.

You could use the cheaper versions https://www.globalfu...ode=97-000-0001, but I think that most "old hands" will agree that the extra expense would be a wise investment in reliability.

At great risk of telling you yet more that you already know, (but for the benefit of those readers who may not) each transmitter will need to be on a different channel and (for RF reasons) they're best mounted at least a handspan away from each other.

#3 sgerick

sgerick

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Awesome!

Thank you.... You have confirm what I thought I would need to do to get this working...

I think the stereo y cable I need is a male stereo jack to dual female mono jacks. That way I can use those Line6 cable you mention.

The only problem I see is the cable lengths of everything. The Line6 cable only is 2 feet, so that 4 feet of cable I need to stash somewhere on my strap. I'm pretty sure a standard off-the-shelf stereo cable is going to be at least 2 feet. That's a lot of cable....

Steve G.

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

...I think the stereo y cable I need is a male stereo jack to dual female mono jacks. That way I can use those Line6 cables you mention...

That's correct, Steve. As with your "insert" cable, the "left tip" is sent to one mono female 1/4" jack, with the "right ring" going to the other and the "sleeve shield" being common to both.

The "Monster Cable" from the above link is quite expensive, but (exactly as I wrote regarding Line 6's Mogami-cabled version of the TA4F beltpack adapter) nearly all of us firmly believe that the "...extra expense would be a wise investment in reliability...".

...I'm pretty sure a standard off-the-shelf stereo cable is going to be at least 2 feet. That's a lot of cable....

Oh yeah. It surely is, hence the need I expressed for you "...to devise some sort of neat fastening onto your guitar strap...".

Velcro strips, such as these http://www.radioshac...oductId=2102879 spring to mind, as electrical or duct tapes both eventually "sweat" a sticky residue that's a "magnet" for grime that ends up all over clothes, fingers and precious instruments...

...or maybe punching some eyelets into your strap to reduce the "speed-bump" effect of semi-permanent fastening of the excess using wire-ties http://www.sweetwate.../detail/WTi294/.

Eyelets and wire-ties could also yield handy "loops" for the rotatable belt-clips of your transmitters.

(BTW, L.R. Baggs "bugs" remain firm favourites for all kinds of string instruments.)

#5 sgerick

sgerick

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

I found the following cable at Best-Tronics..

http://best-tronics....ategory_Code=X2

I've used their cables with my Fractal rig and they are very solidly built.

I think this is what I'm looking for and eliminates the need for two sets up cables. + you can customer order the cable lengths.....

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think this is what I'm looking for and eliminates the need for two sets up cables. + you can customer order the cable lengths.....

It looks to be perfect, Steve ...more convenient and a whole lot cheaper as well...

...HOWEVER...

Even at that price, I reckon it's worth the additional cost of a call to absolutely confirm that the jack plug in question is wired for "stereo" and "guitar", in words that the Best-Tronics L6G50SY-XX cable's jack "tip" is wired to pin 3 of one of its TA4Fs, with the "ring" wired to pin 3 of the other ...and the "sleeves" going to the 1 pins of (and maybe even "shorted" to pin 4 inside) both TA4Fs.

Thanks for alerting US-based folks to that supplier.

You'll appreciate that it'd be even better if you could get around to posting your eventual outcome, as it's a fair bet that others (like "starred" in this discussion http://line6.com/sup...bout-two-units/ of his magnificent "three voiced" Godin xtSA) will be researching similar dilemmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users