Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

weird after tone sound from Vetta II HD

kc_xts

i recently went back to using my Vetta II HD and re-bought a Marshall 1960B.  i had been using my PODxt PRO with only the direct out for live applications.  well, i upgraded my guitar as well.  went from a Godin XTSA (with passive pickups) to an Epiphone Phophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX (with an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck...all from the factory).  I loved EMG's when i used them from 2003-2007.  never had issues.

from the moment i've tried my new setup at rehearsal, i get a weird static/hum swell after stacatto palm mutes.  like a delayed compressor kicking in for 1-2 seconds after i stop.  it doesn't seem to happen on my guitars with passive pickups.  but the sound only comes out of my cab, not through the PA via XLR direct out of the head.  Is this an electrical grounding issue?  i've tried different outlets in the basement and the issue remains.  i use monster cables at rehearsal, but i have a Line 6 Relay G90 that i use live. 

i cannot figure out where the problem is.....today i'm going to try some foam between the bridge and tailpiece as well as behind the nut on the headstock....i dont know this is where the issue is coming from, but i can't seem to find any forums where other people are experiencing this.

any help would be appreciated.

post-2195384-0-46873000-1427292914_thumb.jpg

post-2195384-0-25837600-1427292918_thumb.jpg

i just discovered that the hum is constant without my noise gate turned on.  so i'm guessing the swell i'm hearing is the gate kicking in after a quick chunk riff.  so, why is every channel so hissy and hummy?????

Unless you have a ground loop somewhere, it might be some power supply caps starting to dry out. Electrolytic caps can tend to do that.

To reduce the possabilty of a ground loop, try powering everything from the same source and see that the returns form a star ground. See that the gear that pulls higher levels of current is powered by a seperate branch of the star.

Also make sure that the single ground is really a good ground.   

i just discovered that the hum is constant without my noise gate turned on.  so i'm guessing the swell i'm hearing is the gate kicking in after a quick chunk riff.  so, why is every channel so hissy and hummy?????

well i'm running everything into my Furman Power Conditioner, so i would think that would help eliminate any ground loops.  i've plugged it into different outlets in different rooms as well.  nothing different.  could this be my Monster speaker cable?  or are the electrolytic caps a common issue once these amps get some age?  something i could check/repair myself?  thanks so much.

from what i've been reading, i should try a ReFlash of my vetta II HD.  but i've only heard horror stories about people bricking their units in the process.  is there a safe way for me to reflash my vetta without having to worry that it won't come back?  maybe a pre 2.5 version?  haven't flashed it since 2009-2010.  please help.  definitely need this issue fixed in a few weeks. 

well i'm running everything into my Furman Power Conditioner, so i would think that would help eliminate any ground loops.  i've plugged it into different outlets in different rooms as well.  nothing different.  could this be my Monster speaker cable?  or are the electrolytic caps a common issue once these amps get some age?  something i could check/repair myself?  thanks so much.

I doubt it's your guitar cord and I doubt that a reflash would help this either. It's not a software type of problem. 

You could try another guitar cord since it's easy and cheap to do. just to see. BTW I don't put much stock in those so called monster cables. It's a lot of money for an imaginary problem mostly.

Yes, after many years some electrolytic caps do tend to go bad. They are a very common power supply failure component and one of the first things a tech will check. Some will just replace them out of hand if they are old.

It's an easy thing to check for any good tech, just hang a scope probe on each power supply lead and see how much 60Hz there is on it. If s a noisey one is found, start looking for leaky caps. It could be something else but that's a good place to start. Unless you're used to digging around in electronics gear or have the equipment for the job, I don't recommend that you try this yourself.   

right on.  i will have to take it to a local shop.  i don't trust guitar center.  any idea what something like this can cost?  hopefully this is the issue and can be remedied.  i'd hate to have to rack up a power amp so i can run 1/4" direct out from the head and back out to power my 4x12.  trying to see what will be more cost effective at this point tho. sigh.  thank you so much for your help.

I have no idea what it would cost. It depends on the person, the shop, the area and what not. Maybe you can find a friend who is into this sort of thing that could help you out.

You can get the service manual by downloading it from the web if he needs it. But before tearing into the amp, swap out everything else just to be sure it is indeed the amp and not the guitar or something. Ya just never know. If it is the amp it should be constant regardless of the guitar or where it is or where it's plugged in. While it may be worse in some locations due to lighting and what not the hum would still be there if it's the amp.

right on.  i will have to take it to a local shop.  i don't trust guitar center.  any idea what something like this can cost?  hopefully this is the issue and can be remedied.  i'd hate to have to rack up a power amp so i can run 1/4" direct out from the head and back out to power my 4x12.  trying to see what will be more cost effective at this point tho. sigh.  thank you so much for your help.

It's a stereo amp with two channels. Whether or not it's in stereo or summed to mono depends on the patch and how you saved it.

No the two internal speakers in the combo are not in parallel as they are each fed with a seperate power amp for stereo if you want it. The two external speaker outputs are in parallel with the two internal speakers. if you want to run all external cabs it's a simple matter to disconnet a wire to the internal speaker or speakers you don't want to use.    

Hey are you running the amp in Stereo or mono, cause the manual to me is confusing. Do you know if the outputs of the Vetta II are parallel? So if running two 4x12 16 ohm cabinets, stereo setup, do I set the swtich to 8 ohms?

• 2 years later...

DickFoster,

My first Vetta II had the same problem as you describe above. For that reason I bought another one, wihich now is having the same problem.
Line6 was not able to help. Did you find out what the reason is and do you by any chance have a solution? Because this weird sound is getting rather disturbing.

Edwin

• 2 months later...

DickFoster, 

Thanks for your response anyway. Like I said it is already my second Vetta with the same problem, and nobody knows the solution. I was glad I came accross this post where somebody had the same problem. 
Still not solved... :-(

• 3 weeks later...

guys,mine did this and heres how i fixed it. The leads from the speakers on my 2x12 vetta,i removed them,cleaned the plug where they go on to the pcb with contact cleaner and brush then i took the leads and twisted them in a helix formation....it solved the issue straight up and it hasnt returned

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks jak_E_lee. That was the trick. I can hardly believe it was this simple. Nobody knew what caused this, so I spent a fortune on amps the last couple of years. And now I fixed it in less than an hour (Including a trip to the store for some Contact Spray)  

Thank you very very much!

• Like 1

Happy days eknoop! 

Yes,it really was that simple to fix.I use mainly single coil strats and it exaggerated things with me...really bad!

Comparable to an old AM radio crackling after playing a note.

I cleaned the plug thoroughly and wound my cables in the helix...it fixed it!

Glad theres a few more miles left in your vetta

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Line6 was not able to help.

The leads from the speakers on my 2x12 vetta,i removed them,cleaned the plug where they go on to the pcb with contact cleaner and brush then i took the leads and twisted them in a helix formation....it solved the issue straight up and it hasnt returned

So you are saying that Line 6 couldn't (or wouldn't) figure this one out??? Was this over the phone or did they have your Vetta? Nice troubleshooting BTW and thanks for the info!!!

• 11 months later...

I had this same issue, I fixed it     inside on the motherboard the speaker wires loop thru a couple of large magnets like sort of coil  I move them away from the Motherboard and the noise stopped when they got to close to the mother board, I heard that overtone humming sound again  so I took some of the Greatstuff foam spray and insulated those two coil magnets away from the mother board and it works fine now.. never had any further problems, CAUTION  this did work for me however the foam spray MUST be complete cured I would wait at least 24 hours.   When I first did it   I powered up the amp a little pre maturely and it didn't look good  the LED was all scrambled and unledgeable so I though I had really messed my amp up.   turn it on the next day  all was back to normal with NO noise... sounds perfect now....  I hope this helps some of you... 

cheers

• 4 years later...
On 10/8/2018 at 1:35 PM, spikey said:

So you are saying that Line 6 couldn't (or wouldn't) figure this one out??? Was this over the phone or did they have your Vetta? Nice troubleshooting BTW and thanks for the info!!!

This was a simple trial and error fix i thought of myself and a very simple fix.

Mine still runs as new!