Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sure its not a new topic but it is to me - Not hearing guitar

Win8, Asus Xonar sound card and UX1. 
1) Setup Guitar, phones out and POD farm - Everything works fine. Drivers are all happy.

2) Analog Out L/R to computer line in jack, change Default playback to UX1 - Everything works fine except I cannot hear guitar. 

So, to summarize - 

Guitar in Instrument Jack

Y-cable out from analog outs to Line-In on computer (output knob all the way to 11)

UX1 is green and happy

Windows sound card has Line 6 UX1 and default device

Headphones connected to UX1 (since its the default device - and I hear other things like Line6 Youtube)

FarmPOD 2.5 is launched with Preference\HW\ set to Asus Xonar 

Plug in guitar - no sound. And I thought I was a smart guy. 

Why do you have the analog out's going to the Xonar's line in? Are you trying to get audio out of your computer's speakers? It seems to me that setting the hardware to the Xonar in the preferences is probably the problem.

Why you ask? There is a video by Line6 in the support that says to do exactly that. The dude says, playback is 3 ways. Headphones, monitors and y-cable to your computers line-in. I bought this thing because I simply want an interface to plug my guitar into my computer. I have a kickass workstation, 2 monitors and sound already configured and working.  I don't want another set of "things" to accomodate this. They say you can do it but they dont say how. The closest thing I found was for XP. All of the videos are 5-7 years old. 

One more thing - I didnt set it Xonar - it did on its own when I configured the  Sound in Control Panel. At least I think so. But the question remains. These are the moving parts - what am I doing wrong? It shouldnt be hard to do by someone who has done it before. 

Thanks for taking the time out to reply though. Appreciated. 

When connecting to your computer's Line-In, do not use the UX for playback, just use the Xonar.

But UX to the Line-In of a computer is typically as a last resort / lowest quality.

You are adding an extra A/D conversion, and unless you are using S/PDIF out to your monitors, you are also adding another D/A.

The exception would be if you have a Pro-Audio soundcard designed for recording. The Xonar is more designed for gaming and DVD/BluRay multichannel playback.

So typically you should be connecting your monitors/headphones directly to the UX.

Not sure what monitors you have, but if they can switch to more than one input, that could be one route, I have used this method for a while.

But if you plan on doing a lot of recording, you may want to get a mixer, doesn't have to be fancy.

That way you can connect your monitors to your mixer, and you can connect your computer, UX, and other devices to the mixer.

Why you ask? There is a video by Line6 in the support that says to do exactly that. The dude says, playback is 3 ways. Headphones, monitors and y-cable to your computers line-in. I bought this thing because I simply want an interface to plug my guitar into my computer. I have a kickass workstation, 2 monitors and sound already configured and working.  I don't want another set of "things" to accomodate this. They say you can do it but they dont say how. The closest thing I found was for XP. All of the videos are 5-7 years old. 

One more thing - I didnt set it Xonar - it did on its own when I configured the  Sound in Control Panel. At least I think so. But the question remains. These are the moving parts - what am I doing wrong? It shouldnt be hard to do by someone who has done it before. 

Thanks for taking the time out to reply though. Appreciated. 

I've never seen the video you're referring to, but bypassing your computer's internal soundcard altogether is usually the easiest way to go about it. But again, I think the issue is that the internal soundcard as the in/out device in POD Farm. You should be able to select the UX1 as the device POD Farm is using. If POD Farm isn't looking at the UX1, I believe it will be looking for an input on your other soundcard and not using the UX1's guitar in.

pod farm only works with cards that have ASIO drivers....

meaning the same hardware has to be selected for input and output....

that's not to say you can't have the output feeding a different interface etc...

or be creative about it in some other way...

but that creativity will have tradeoffs.

that's not to say you can't have the output feeding a different interface etc...

That is what I assume Bukester is trying to do.

Bukester, if you do go that route, make sure the y cable has a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) connection for the line in. otherwise you will only get one side of the stereo signal.

That is what I assume Bukester is trying to do.

Bukester, if you do go that route, make sure the y cable has a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) connection for the line in. otherwise you will only get one side of the stereo signal.

So wouldn't he need to have the Xonar set as the Windows default soundcard to do this, and just have the UX1 set as the in/out device in POD Farm?