Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting M20D to existing wireless network via router

I have been experiencing connection issues in the past using the USB dongles.  I have decided to scrap the USB dongles all together.  I have the apple usb adapter and it works perfectly.  I have both the apple airport express and a linksys router ( I have 2 M20D's, 1 for our church and one for an install I am doing).

I have tested both the airport express and the linksys and I can connect to them with the ipad with no issues and its much faster than the USB.   

My question is, can I use this setup to connect the M20D to my existing wireless network?  And if so, can you explain how to do it either router, the Apple Airport Express and a Cisco Linksys WRT110?

With my install, I'd rather not have to instruct them to switch wireless networks when trying to connect to the M20D.  It is being installed in a township building in their main meeting space.

I'd prefer to use the Linksys in the township building and the Airport Express in our church.

Any help would be appreciated!   B)

make sure it's plugged in to the lan side port of the router.  Use the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter on the M20D. 

So the LAN, is that the "Ethernet" port, the one listed 1-4 and not the "internet" port?  Do I need to change any settings on the router?  Am I connecting to the router that is plugged into the M20D or am I just connecting to the wireless network?

Correct.  Router settings shouldn't need to change from defaults.  the M20D grabs an IP from DCHP, so does the iPad.   The only setting you *might* need to change is if there is a wifi security setting that prevents wifi connections from talking with other local connections.  I don't think the airport has that setting, though the Linksys might

On the iPad, Am I connecting to the router that is plugged into the M20D or am I just connecting to the wireless network? How is the linksys router connected to the existing wireless network? I do not have access to the routers that create the wireless network.

That is my issue.  I do not have physical access to either routers that are creating the wireless networks.  At church, we rent the space from a museum and we use their wireless.  And the install is at a township building where the routers are not accessible.

Here is what I am trying to do:

M20D wired connection to --> LAN port of Linksys router or Airport Express to wireless connection to --> Wireless network <-- Wireless connection - Ipad

Is this possible?

I can easily do this:

M20D wired connection to --> LAN port of Linksys router or Airport Express <-- Wireless connection - Ipad

Use an Airport Express as a wireless client. This mode provides an Ethernet connection at the router end and joins the wireless network with its wireless hardware.

Instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201621

Essentially what this mode does is give you wireless capability "outside the box" because the M20d doesn't have it built in. You have M20d --> Ethernet --> Airport Express --> wifi --> router

The iPad connects to the wireless router normally, and it can talk to the M20d.

Caveat: Some routers have a Guest Wifi Network that indeed can't see the Ethernet LAN but gets to the Internet; this isolation would prevent your scenario from working. If you can't ask someone about this, you have to run a test to see if this is the case.

With the Airport Express, run Airport Utility on a computer to configure the Express and have it join the wireless network. If this is a permanent installation, you only need to do this once. If the wireless network changes, you have to do it again.

Use an Airport Express as a wireless client. This mode provides an Ethernet connection at the router end and joins the wireless network with its wireless hardware.

Instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201621

Essentially what this mode does is give you wireless capability "outside the box" because the M20d doesn't have it built in. You have M20d --> Ethernet --> Airport Express --> wifi --> router

The iPad connects to the wireless router normally, and it can talk to the M20d.

Caveat: Some routers have a Guest Wifi Network that indeed can't see the Ethernet LAN but gets to the Internet; this isolation would prevent your scenario from working. If you can't ask someone about this, you have to run a test to see if this is the case.

With the Airport Express, run Airport Utility on a computer to configure the Express and have it join the wireless network. If this is a permanent installation, you only need to do this once. If the wireless network changes, you have to do it again.

I tried this and it works perfectly.  Thanks so much.  Is there anyway to do this with a normal router?

• 4 years later...