Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to the Pod HD500X Advise on patch construction

Antman74

Hi

I have had the POD HD500X for a few weeks (after owning a Digitech RP500). I'm very impressed and seem to have got though the early learning curve in creating some patches.

My question/advice needed is I used 1 amp with various effects in front (reverb after amp etc..) and they sounded "ok". I then downloaded a patch from this site that had a pre-amp and another amp and it sounded amazing.

How do you all go about creating your tones. (I play Smashing Pumpkins...U2...Incubus...RHCP etc) so have a fair amount of different patches I want to create. I also seem to keep saving over previous patches I've created?. (a drag and dop error I guess from me when using the editor via a PC...which is great by the way).

Cheers guys

I typically start with an amp and no effects and tweak for the the main sound I am going for.

For clean tones, I sometimes don't even add an amp.

For effects, I usually put stomps, wahs, compressors before the amp and mods,delays and reverbs after.

If you really like a tone, it's a good idea to go to file and saves as to save it to you computer.

You can also back all the tones as a bundle or individual setlists.

• Upvote 1

Hello Antman , the experts on this forum will not steer you wrong, they give great advice. The only thing I have to add from the perspective of a newby, is that this is a complex device and it does take time to fully understand how it works.

Unless you are extremely tech savy, and also very knowledgeable about guitar effects signal paths, you have a fairly big learning curve to contend with.

Don't let that stop you, it is great fun and an excellent tool for those who are curious, and or love to tweak their sound.

A great way to learn is to pick a preset sound you like and go into the edit screens to see how it has been put together.

You may be very surprised with what you find out.

My last tid bit is this. When it comes to effects, less is usually more.

Having said that, there are no real rules, and rules are meant to be broken are they not! LoL

Have fun my friend.

A little trick I learned is this...

If you are using the edit software on your computer you can save the preset you are working on by dragging it to your desktop.

If you get a lot of tones on the desktop like this, organize them in a folder on the desktop.

Later you can open the folder and drag and drop them back into your own set list in any order you want in the editing software . Don't forget to save the set list.

Use a pencil and paper to lay out what you are trying to do, and stay focused.

Like Triryche I start with the amp then go from there. If you don't get the basic amp tone right you're up the creek before you even start. The only other thing I would add is LESS IS MORE. Because the Pod has so many effects, cab and mic options etc. it's easy to fall into the trap of adding so many effects and over tweaking....you just end up with mush. 

Good luck.

Having said that, there are no real rules, and rules are meant to be broken are they not! LoL

Actually, there are two rules.

1. There are no rules
  2. Have fun and don't let the technology get in the way of playing

Wait, rule 2 is in conflict with rule 1, ugh, my head hurts!! :blink:

What everyone else said so far.

Plus, the thing I've found to have the most effect on tone, after choosing the correct amp for the task, is your choice of cab and mic. Takes some time to try all the variations. Some of time is because there is just so many combinations, and some more time has to be devoted to taking breaks because of ear fatigue.

• Upvote 2

What everyone else said so far.

Plus, the thing I've found to have the most effect on tone, after choosing the correct amp for the task, is your choice of cab and mic. Takes some time to try all the variations. Some of time is because there is just so many combinations, and some more time has to be devoted to taking breaks because of ear fatigue.

Good point Duncann and one often overlooked I feel.