#1 iburwell

iburwell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hi,

Our Soundscape unit has just started making crackling noises when a jack is inserted into port 16's line input.

The unit is 8 months old and were wondering if this is potentially a port fault or software? We have changed leads, factory reset the unit and still we get crackling noises on that port. Even with just a single cabe inserted it's noticeable.

Is there any other hardware reset we can try before sorting out a return for repair under warranty?

Kind regards

Ian

#2 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11078 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

To my knowledge there is no hardware reset. If a factory software reset hasn't solved the issue then I suspect a hardware fault. Once you have ruled out the connecting cable, instrument, and monitor/speaker I would suspect a hardware fault that requires warranty servicing at an authorized service centre.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

You've probably already tried this Ian...

But for the benefit of others, ...I've had years of success in solving "snap, crackle and pop" problems with all types and sizes of jack connectors, problems that often arise from the huge variety of "gunk" that arrives (often almost invisibly) on the surfaces of jack plugs, to be then "forced" into the socket when connected.

It's often solved (or, somewhat counter-intuitively, "dis-solved") using this stuff http://www.radioshac...oductId=2104746 (or something similar) by means of

1. Wetting a rag with DeoxIT and using that wet cloth to "scrub" every male jack plug in the inventory and then
  2. Moistening one of those now clean plugs with DeoxIT and using it to both "carry" a thin film of the liquid into the socket and "scrub" that socket's internal contacts by both rotating and repeatedly removing and inserting the plug until it's "dry".

Under NO circumstances should ANY liquid or solvent ever be sprayed directly into sockets, as that "good intention" will undoubtedly prove to be the proverbial "road to Hell" ! :wacko:  

#4 iburwell

iburwell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hi Guy's,

Thanks for the quick replies. I've tried it again this morning and it appears to be getting worse, there is a constant white noise generated now along with the crackle, again just on port 16. I tried a firmware download again just in case, but as soon as you insert a cable into the port and turn up the volume it's there. I think from what we can remember it's been a gradual problem, we suspected devices, cables as being the issue at the time, but it does appear to be generated from the unit.

I'll sort out an RMA and get the unit returned ASAP.

Thanks Again

Ian

#5 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Ron has a good point here. Sometimes it is really just some gunk in there. You could try to take a Q- Tip, dip it in alcohol and wipe it off so that it is not dripping and clean the inside of the 1/4" input.

If that is not it- it's an RMA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users