#21 schlottdog

schlottdog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationTHe Bay area

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Appreciate the discussion.  I've spent literally 15-16 hours collectively trying to dial in this lead tone from my XTL.  Just one tone...that's excessive, frustrating and exhaustive.  I spent another 5 hours straight yesterday and I am perhaps the closest I've ever been...not quite enough for me to switch, but I'm more hopeful and really want to move on with it.

I continue this struggle because I want to like the HD, unfortuneately there is likely a new product coming out around the corner and Line 6 won't make it easy for folks upgrading.

WHat I have done and do is I search CUSTOMTONE.COM for tones that I like and I tweak them from there. Some are real close, some are way off or just awful. It is a great starting point. WIth the EDITOR program and being able to tweak the signal chain...it is way easier than the old days of the XT-Live.....keep with it and post your patches and let us know so we can try them out and maybe give our feedback.

#22 SiCantwell

SiCantwell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Never had another Line 6 unit but I had a Korg multieffect pedal years ago so I knew I'd have to invent, edit and tweak. I didn't know I'd have to learn about the Fletcher-Munson Curve and the effects of playing with a band on EQ and distortion settings vs. living room settings.
But now several weeks into my HD500 journey I'm more excited than ever about playing. Suddenly I find I like a Univibe, and instead of sticking with Fenders, Mesas and Marshalls, I'm finding uses for some of the more exotic amps like Bogner.
I'm creating tones from scratch rather than tweaking Custom Tones, and having a ball doing it. Put me down in the "satisfied customer" camp, and I'm not sorry that I bought now instead of waiting for the next gen.

#23 lilguitar

lilguitar

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

WHat I have done and do is I search CUSTOMTONE.COM for tones that I like and I tweak them from there. Some are real close, some are way off or just awful. It is a great starting point. WIth the EDITOR program and being able to tweak the signal chain...it is way easier than the old days of the XT-Live.....keep with it and post your patches and let us know so we can try them out and maybe give our feedback.

Appreciate the offer...problem is that I'm trying to match a tone that I already have in XTL, not start over and tweak someone else’s to be content with. I'm as close as I'll ever be right now and it is useable, but the timber/tone isn't exact...sounds a tad harsh and lacking sustain and warmth.

It doesn't help that my XTL patch uses just about everything that was left out of the HD...Brit 2000 #2 amp, Greenback 20's cab, 4-band semi-parametric EQ, Sine Chorus and Slap Plate Reverb.

Even the FX that did transfer to the HD have changed enough that it could be affecting the sound. For instance, the HD Tube Screamer now has bass/tone/treble vs just tone...do I set the Bass/Treble to 50% or 100% to mirror the old Tube Screamer? Also the closest HD Chorus I found is the Analog Chorus that has just tone vs individual bass/treble parameters from the XTL. It all adds up collectively, however I believe the missing amp, cab and EQ have much more to do with obtaining the sound than do these parameters.

It surely doesn't help parameter labels are mis-matched (like Pre-delay for the Reverb was in % for XTL...now in MS which makes more sense, but what does 100% Pre-delay equate to in the HD...200ms? Where's the translator guide for previous users?

The XTL compressor came in sequence after the amp and was supposedly modeled after a tube compressor which is included in the HD, but it doesn't appear to have the same characteristics. Here again, the.XTL compressor was in dB which makes sense...but now it's in percent (a step backwards). -4dB Threshold and +10dB Gain is what I had in XTL. What is that now in % for the HD...4% Threshold and 10% Level ? I really don't think so.

Doesn't sound close any way I tweak these parameters anyway, so it doesn't matter much either way...but as you can see there are far too many things that are missing or doesn't line up correctly for me to have a legit shot at fine tuning...the lack of the amp, cab and parametric EQ are again the biggest things keeping me from obtaining the tone.

#24 friendship

friendship

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

So I got a good deal on an HD Desktop.  I've been busy all weekend so I've only put maybe 2 hours in it but so far I am really glad I got this thing.  It is, in fact, right for me.  I was going to record some A/B comparison of the 2.0 and the HD but I don't even need to, it's so obviously better sounding.  I'm really looking forward to recording this thing.  Screw the limitations, the things it's capable of are worth it.

#25 spaceatl

spaceatl

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4660 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I had a POD XT that I kept in my shortboard bag as an all-in-one backup rig...I only ever had to use on a gig once when my SV MK! blew a tube during a show. It worked, but I really hated the way the XT felt going thru a PA...tone was fine, just feels wrong...HD Desktop is my main preamp now...I have an SV MK1, MK2, DT50 and DT25...I still have my old Flextone III XL....Dual Amps is a novelty on the HD pod...If you really need dual tone, then 2x HD Pro is really the way to go...What has impressed more than anything is that even direct WITHOUT a tube poweramp, the feel of the HD is lightyears ahead of anything they did before...tone has always been good, it has been the dynamics that have been missing until they partnered up with RB...These models and FX have movement that was never in anything they did previously...Anyway, it takes a little bit to get under tweaking the unit, but it works great for me. XT feels like a toy to me now...

#26 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Here's a couple quick tips.  Goto Youtube.com and checkout some of the Glenn Delaune videos.  And of course checkout the meambobo web site at http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

These two places have been a huge help for me.

#27 deguello

deguello

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

I picked up a POD X3 when they came out what seems like a hundred years ago. It was a great little device. I spent a lot of time tweaking and shaping my sounds. It was a great device...I loved it, it was really user friendly.. Then I demo'd the HD500 and did a lot of research before settling on the HD Pro. 

I knew that when I got it I would have to tweak it to my liking, although I underestimated the level I would need to go to. These are not twiddle a knob and suddenly Jimi. So I read and tweaked...and tweaked...and tweaked...

This box has a great potential to give up a great tone...it takes time to get there, but when you do...man. I do not regret my decision one bit. 

After about 6 months I took her out and played live. I DI'ed into the board and it sounded great. 

I would say that the HD500/and HD pro are not for the casual user. While there are some limitations, you will be able to create a wide range of effects from this box.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desktop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users