Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Could the HD 500x suit me?

Mo74

Hello chaps,

I've been looking at the 500x, (plus the 500, 400, and 300), as I'm looking for an all-in-one solution for practice and recording guitar.

With two little children in a small home I am purely running just a laptop loaded with software such as Pod Farm, Amplitube, etc, and playing on headphones. This sounds good to me and is very convenient.

But I'd like to use the 500x as a practice tool without the need to keep firing up the computer, then use it occasionally to record stuff on my laptop, hoping it will help with keeping latency down as the computer doesn't then have to run the guitar software.

So, does the 500x record well? By that, I mean can you get quick and good results without too much tweaking? How does it sound recorded compared to software such as Amplitube, Bias and Guitar Rig, which of course are designed to be recorded in a DAW?

Also, at some point, I'd like to record a bass through it: have any of you had much success with that?

Thanks for any replies.

Regards,

Mo.

Good results, yes...quick? Probably not. The 500X is a beast. Incredibly versatile, but not always intuitive. Tends to be a long learning curve, but once you get used to the signal routing and really explore everything it is capable of, I think you'll find that it is easily the best bang for the buck or there as a recording tool for guitar.

Forget the 300 and 400...they're dated, and a bit limited compared to the 500X.

Yes, the Flip Top is the only modeled bass amp but you can use several others, reducing treble & presence if there's too much hiss in those. The HD500 records really well, in my opinion, especially if you use the SPDIF output, but USB should be similar (although I'm not sure how much latency USB adds). But for practice all you'll need to do is power it up, select a preset, plug in your guitar, and plug in your headphones. By far the most time will be spent tweaking the preset to your liking.

The HD series requires a decent bit of knowledge to get working it's best. If you have strong graps of how to order pedals and how to use them and what charistic certian amps typically have then it's a wonderful devices and one of the best bang for buck devices around.  But if you don't then the start up time might be a deal killer. For what your describling you might take a look at the Amplfi series of products. They not quite as high end but are supposedly setup for practicing. I image they would record well, I don't have one so I don't know. Good bit cheaper that the HDs as well.

I'll echo the dumping of the 300 and 400 idea. If you want something that's comparable to them, is newer, and doesn't take a lot of time to tweak, maybe consider the amplifi or firehawk. But I've never used either so...

If you go with the 500x be prepared to spend some time getting it to sound like you want though, and probably some time being frustrated.

I use the 500x for bass and guitar. While I find making patches for guitar easier than for bass, I've been pretty satisfied with the 500x for bass sounds. There are two bass amps/cabs currently, but you're also not restricted in using other amps/cabs if sounds good. Plus, any day now, there will be a new bass amp pack for purchase with the new firmware upgrade (free).

Hello again chaps,

Thanks for the quick and interesting replies. Yes, I'll check out the Amplifi, thanks for mentioning that.

In terms of getting a quick, good sound out of the 500x I'm quite happy messing around to get what I want, so don't mind a bit of work with either amp of fx sounds. Afterall, once you have got some good patches it is easy to save them.

Would anyone recommend the 500 rather than the 500x based on it being cheaper? My typical patch set-up in software is usually not much more than chorus/flange/phase going into the amp with maybe some delay/reverb after it. I usually add compression and/or eq in my DAW if needed for recordings.

My favourite type of amp sounds lean towards those in the style of Hiwatt, Fender, and occasionally Orange, plus the Roland Jazz Chorus 120. Hopefully the 500x caters well for these classic sounds?

Thanks again everybody.

Would anyone recommend the 500 rather than the 500x based on it being cheaper? My typical patch set-up in software is usually not much more than chorus/flange/phase going into the amp with maybe some delay/reverb after it. I usually add compression and/or eq in my DAW if needed for recordings.

My favourite type of amp sounds lean towards those in the style of Hiwatt, Fender, and occasionally Orange, plus the Roland Jazz Chorus 120. Hopefully the 500x caters well for these classic sounds?

Thanks again everybody.

I'd get the 500X, unless you can get your hands on a 500 for pennies...the X is the most recent model, and all of the firmware updates tend to be released for that first. Same for the new model packs that we're all currently salavating over...which incidentally, are gonna have a couple of the amps you mentioned. Also had more robust footswitches than the 500.

I doubt the price difference you'll find is worth it...just get the new one.

Would anyone recommend the 500 rather than the 500x based on it being cheaper? 

Possibly; the new firmware update that is due out tomorrow is for 500x only at first; might be some people ready to let go of their 500 to fund a 500x.. I stuck with the 500 for about four years, I still have it, just noticed some footswitch glitches starting to appear, and I didn't want to wait for the firmware, so I sprung for a 500x a few weeks back. Still considering working the dual 500's into the rig; use one with amps, use the other with the FRFR speakers..

So yeah; be picky if you buy a 500 used! check Reverb.com, I see an HD500 on there for $250 right now!

Also maybe look at what GC has in their used gear on the website, eBay is always an option. 

The new firmware should be at some point available on the HD500; just not right away. But, the new firmware will also include some new bass amp models (in HD), so that will expand your home recording options!

The HD does well for USB ASIO recording; it becomes the soundcard, plug your headphones or speakers into the HD, and set it as the soundcard in your recording software. Minimal latency, definitely a decent option, as it gives you standalone amp models and effects, you can upgrade / expand in the future, if you ever get a Variax or DT amp, the HD can connect with both of those quite nicely.

The truth of the matter is... 

We aren't you, so we don't know what all of the possibilities you could possibly come up with could be. So a 300 could be very sufficient. 

But from personal experience, I went from a 12 space fx rack with external wah and amplification, to a 500 that goes straight to the pa. 

The only thing I am missing is my talk box (because I no longer have a power amp) but I gained a vocoder. Besides, they sell self contained talk boxes if I really want one. 

For the money, there is no reason to even consider anything but the latest and greatest. The price is so minimal that it is ok to splurge on the big one even if it is overkill. 

Don't expect to buy it today and be a master tonight. There is no rush, take your time. 

• Upvote 1

Possibly; the new firmware update that is due out tomorrow is for 500x only at first; might be some people ready to let go of their 500 to fund a 500x.. 

The new firmware should be at some point available on the HD500; just not right away. But, the new firmware will also include some new bass amp models (in HD), so that will expand your home recording options!

HOWEVER... 

1. The new firmware does not include bass amps. The new firmware allows you to BUY some stuff -- bass amps. But they are not included. 

2. Why would the new firmware make a difference to him. He is using it at home. Why does he need 'room shaping'. He will always be in the same room.

HOWEVER... 

1. The new firmware does not include bass amps. The new firmware allows you to BUY some stuff -- bass amps. But they are not included. 

2. Why would the new firmware make a difference to him. He is using it at home. Why does he need 'room shaping'. He will always be in the same room.

Sorry, I wasn't more specific - the new $99 model packs.!

He hasn't even bought it yet. 

So he probably isn't up on all of the new information. 

New Firmware coming shortly - for the 500 and 500x but not the 300 or 400. 

It will give a 'Master EQ', and set you up to purchase add-ons. Currently, those add-ons consist of 3 various amp model packs. You can buy one for $50, or get all 3 for $100. 

One of them is a bass pack. 

Here are some bass posts, which include downloadable patches and setlists: 

http://line6.com/support/topic/10443-pod-hd500x-for-bass/ 

http://line6.com/support/topic/8395-any-bass-tips-hd500/ 

If you are just using it for home, I'd look for a used HD500. You will probably be able to get one for $250. I bought a used POD HD500 from my local music store a few months back for $289...Canadian which means if you are in the states you should be able to find one for around $250. 

I got a three month warrantee which is better than Kijiji or eBay!

I did notice that OP is looking for: Hiwatt, Fender, and occasionally Orange, plus the Roland Jazz Chorus 120

And the last of these are not on the HD500 by default - they will be in the Vintage Pack (+$49), plus Bass Pack (+$29).

So a second hand HD500 is $250 + $80 = $330

Amplifi FX100 at sweetwater is $299 and has all those amps as standard, and does the USB recording, so as long as he has a iPad or Android Tablet to do the editing on (anyone who has Kids these days will have one somewhere), then it might be a much better choice.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FX100

Unless you can get a 500 REAL cheap, go for the 500X.  You may think you have modest needs until you see what you can do with this thing.  Then all of a sudden dual amps with certain effects may seem like something you can't live without.  Don't sell yourself short to save a couple dollars.

That's a lie. Most of the people I know having a Pod HD, including me, don't even dare to use dual amp. It sounds aweful because of the difference between samples coming from the 2 different chains. Unless Line 6 adds an auto synchronization function between the 2 chains, the 2 amp setup is just not possible to be done without sounding aweful.

It is possible to have comb filtering or phasing issues with a dual amp setup (just like it would be with two real amps in a studio), but it's certainly not impossible for it to sound good. I've heard some very good sounding dual tones.

That's a lie. Most of the people I know having a Pod HD, including me, don't even dare to use dual amp. It sounds aweful because of the difference between samples coming from the 2 different chains. Unless Line 6 adds an auto synchronization function between the 2 chains, the 2 amp setup is just not possible to be done without sounding aweful.

Dude, seriously?  I use dual amps all the time and there are no huge issues with comb filtering or synchronization.  The only real issue is DSP usage and there are ways to work around that.  You should be a little more careful with your choice of words...

It is possible to have comb filtering or phasing issues with a dual amp setup (just like it would be with two real amps in a studio), but it's certainly not impossible for it to sound good. I've heard some very good sounding dual tones.

Unfortunately I haven't. Even if I tried sample and phase correction according to "meambobbos" guide. Nothing sounds better than the simple 1 amp setup. And 1 amp setup has a really poor tone generally.

Dude, seriously?  I use dual amps all the time and there are no huge issues with comb filtering or synchronization.  The only real issue is DSP usage and there are ways to work around that.  You should be a little more careful with your choice of words...

I don't need warnings on how to talk. I have sacrificed huge amount of time studying and patch building on the pod HD, achieving absolutely nothing great. Not even decent. Unless your tone standards are really low, I don't know how did you find a way getting yourself a decent sound out of 2 amps in the same time.

Unfortunately I haven't. Even if I tried sample and phase correction according to "meambobbos" guide. Nothing sounds better than the simple 1 amp setup. And 1 amp setup has a really poor tone generally.

I have heard dozens of great sounding tones using a single amp configuration. As for dual amps, I've never really explored them so I can't comment.

I don't need warnings on how to talk. I have sacrificed huge amount of time studying and patch building on the pod HD, achieving absolutely nothing great. Not even decent. Unless your tone standards are really low, I don't know how did you find a way getting yourself a decent sound out of 2 amps in the same time.

Try harder.  Nobody is lying.  Your failure to achieve success does not give you the right to disparage my "tone standards".  I chose not to use the word idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Try harder.  Nobody is lying.  Your failure to achieve success does not give you the right to disparage my "tone standards".  I chose not to use the word idiot.

I don't know you and your standards, as you don't know me, my mental abilities and the effort I have made. I don't know why are you so butthurt, but, either way I shall not lower my "attitude level" because of you.

Most of the people I know (that have high standards with their tone) gave up on the Pod's cab sims for a reason. I think most of us that have spent a decent amount of time, know that Pod HD is doing the exact opposite thing than to help us get a decent dual amp tone out of it.

I am not asking for a software that would be addressed to stupid people. I am just asking for a function that would actually correct the Pod's flaws in cab sims.

Either way, this thread says it all: http://line6.com/support/topic/403-had-enough-of-the-hd500buying-a-kemper/

Have you heard the tones that Peter Hanmer can get out of the HD500X?   Have a listen to this demo track he recorded using the HD500X:  https://soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/hd500x-crunchfest

...a delusion in regards to ones ears being better than everyone else is not worth getting worked up about...obviously, he already knows all there is to know and we are just not on his level... :D

.....or maybe he works for Kemper  :P

Have you heard the tones that Peter Hanmer can get out of the HD500X?   Have a listen to this demo track he recorded using the HD500X:  https://soundcloud.com/peter-john-hanmer/hd500x-crunchfest

That's a great tone, but unfortunately I don't play this kind of music. I also think that this tone is pretty easy to be dialed in.

...a delusion in regards to ones ears being better than everyone else is not worth getting worked up about...obviously, he already knows all there is to know and we are just not on his level... :D

.....or maybe he works for Kemper  :P

As for the rest, I won't even bother answering, unless you post a short mono track recording of something heavy and bright, using dual amp ofc. I don't think that this little thing would be that hard to do if you can all handle dual amp setups with that ease  :)

Cheers!

Actually, this is the lie...

You may not like dual chains, or have difficulty getting them to sound good. But to declare that its universally impossible to make it work is ridiculous.

sorry bub... been down that road too many times.  Inevitably, you won't be able to recreate what I have due to some difference in gear or technique. You will just end up disparaging whatever is posted and its a waste of time.  If you can't do it, then you can't do it.  I don't have any secret sauce in my patches.  I do play stereo into two separate cabs.  JTV69 into HD500. Other than that well, you win...

As for the rest, I won't even bother answering, unless you post a short mono track recording of something heavy and bright, using dual amp ofc. I don't think that this little thing would be that hard to do if you can all handle dual amp setups with that ease   :)

Yes...I stand humbled in the presence of greatness. We really should all be grateful that he took the time to share his wisdom with us, The Great Unwashed...after all, it did take valuable time away from cranking out the hits,lol. Moving on.

• Upvote 2

As for the rest, I won't even bother answering, unless you post a short mono track recording of something heavy and bright, using dual amp ofc. I don't think that this little thing would be that hard to do if you can all handle dual amp setups with that ease   :)

Cheers!

You know, if you would have come here asking for help or advice, I'm sure plenty of people would have loved to at least try to help you out. Instead, your very first post on the forum was attacking a poster, calling his post a lie. Do you actually want people to try to help you, or is your mind made up that we're all deluded?

Hello again chaps,

I was the original poster on this thread as I am interested in buying the Pod HD500x; many thanks you all for your replies and suggestions. 

I see there has also been a bit of upset, my apologies: I didn't mean to provoke any trouble. 

I'll continue to research the HD500x...I wanted to find out as much as possible as I can't try one before I buy. I think I'll have some saving up to do, eh.

Best wishes,

Mo.

You know, if you would have come here asking for help or advice, I'm sure plenty of people would have loved to at least try to help you out. Instead, your very first post on the forum was attacking a poster, calling his post a lie. Do you actually want people to try to help you, or is your mind made up that we're all deluded?

You are right, I'm sorry for my attitude. I didn't mean to attack anyone and I didn't realise I called someone a liar as was doing it. I rushed, it was bad of me, I am sorry.

I'm just really frustrated, because all the study and the effort I have made, trying to do a decent dual amp patch, was in vain. (Plus many people encouraged me to give up on trying to combine cabs from Pod, because it's a real mess and you can get better results from IR's.) That's why I gave up on trying to get a decent heavy, bright, prog tone and now I just use an f-ball into an XXL. 

That's my story.

P.S. I really haven't listened to anyone having a decent dual amp prog tone, apart from this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39rvm-peVMg

And even this tone, has severe flaws in the high end that are being covered with his high gain. Again I'm sorry for my attitude.

• Upvote 1

Hello again chaps,

I was the original poster on this thread as I am interested in buying the Pod HD500x; many thanks you all for your replies and suggestions. 

I see there has also been a bit of upset, my apologies: I didn't mean to provoke any trouble. 

I'll continue to research the HD500x...I wanted to find out as much as possible as I can't try one before I buy. I think I'll have some saving up to do, eh.

Best wishes,

Mo.

Its not your fault. You will find this forum, and all Line 6 forums in fact, are very helpful. 

I have had success getting great tones from my HD500 out but couldn't get many tones I liked from my Digitech RP355. Does this mean anyone who says they can get good tone out of a Digitech is lying. Of course not. It just means the HD500 is better suited to how I think.

Whatever unit you get I would suggest downloading as many patches as you can and play. Dissect the ones you like and study them. You will learn a lot by doing this.

You are right, I'm sorry for my attitude. I didn't mean to attack anyone and I didn't realise I called someone a liar as was doing it. I rushed, it was bad of me, I am sorry.

I'm just really frustrated, because all the study and the effort I have made, trying to do a decent dual amp patch, was in vain. (Plus many people encouraged me to give up on trying to combine cabs from Pod, because it's a real mess and you can get better results from IR's.) That's why I gave up on trying to get a decent heavy, bright, prog tone and now I just use an f-ball into an XXL. 

That's my story.

P.S. I really haven't listened to anyone having a decent dual amp prog tone, apart from this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39rvm-peVMg

And even this tone, has severe flaws in the high end that are being covered with his high gain. Again I'm sorry for my attitude.

Have you tried setting the CAB parameter RESONANCE to 0% ?   That will disable the resonance effect and make the Line 6 supplied cab/mic models much more like the third party IRs.

Have you tried setting the CAB parameter RESONANCE to 0% ?   That will disable the resonance effect and make the Line 6 supplied cab/mic models much more like the third party IRs.

I have tried it in the amp model I mostly use (Fireball), and I didn't like that much the sound of it. Do you guys always find better results placing res to 0? 

Edit: Thanks for trying to help me after my bad behaviour though.

Giorgos02 I accept your apology, since I'm the one you called a liar.  Most people wouldn't come back and apologize and I appreciate and respect that. 

I also understand the frustration the PODHD can cause.  It took me a long time to get what I wanted out of it but once I finally got over that hump, I'm very happy with it.  I have a pair of Marshall stacks to compare it against and very high standards.  As I'm sure a lot of people have on this forum.

Maybe some of us here could help you achieve what you've been missing.

Welcome to the boards !  Just like in hockey, sometimes you get crashed against them... lol... its all good.  Many on here will spend a lot of time trying to get you where you want to be, myself included... keep an open mind.  Sometimes we have to revisit things we thought we already knew, sometimes we just didn't explain ourselves well...  sometimes we just want things that are physically impossible... usually we get close enough that it makes it all worthwhile...