Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.6 Update Mac... Hey WTF!!

Topaz

I connected my HD500X to my computer (Mac) to update everything that needed to.... Monkey, check... License manager, check....USB firmware, check....

However, after the 2.6 update was installed and I was prompted to turn power off on the HD then turn on again after a bit..... when I put the power plug back it, it immediately shut down my computer. 

C'mon now Line 6... WTF is that about???!!

When it restarted and monkey opened it shows it was installed but I can't trust that. I assume I can try installing again as its an option

OK, worked properly the second try. 

I think it is likely more of a case of "WTF Apple?".....You have the symptom of unexpected shutdown....Is this an Intel Mac?

....If the POD makes it to power off prompt, the firmware is updated properly...No need to update again unless, of course, it just makes you feel better....Then you must update

This might fix your unexpected shutdown problem on your Mac if it's an Intel...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Thanks for that.  I could use that info for my mini for future reference. Yeah I did hardware resets on my macbook once when my usb ports were going kooky and that fixed that.

It is a possibility that there may have been a small static charge when I plugged back in. I'll get that today as the air is still a bit cold and dry. However I was just sitting in my chair and not moving around plus I probably would've grounded myself as my body was already touching metal gear surfaces at the time I re plugged the HD in. So I guess it could be one or the other at fault.

And yeah, doing it again and it working as its supposed to eases my mind, lol

Now where the heck to I find proper manual addendum for the new features. Don't think the manual itself that can be downloaded is updated and for some reason clicking the line to the 2.6 update just takes me to the HD product description page and says nothing about 2.6 that I can see

You probably experienced a kernel panic: https://support.apple.com/en-us/TS3742 (for 10.8 and earlier)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553  (for 10.9 and later)

In rare situations, your Mac may do one or more of the following: spontaneously restart, become unresponsive, turn off, display a message "Your computer restarted because of a problem." or display a message "You shut down your computer because of a problem.".

I've had this happen once or twice when re-plugging in an HD500, and it looks like the HD500X uses the same driver software. It's one of those things where it doesn't often happen, but if about a million subtle "under the hood" factors happen to line up just right, a kernel panic happens and your computer temporarily loses its mind and has to restart.

USB drivers are more likely to cause kernel panics than regular application software because they interface between hardware and the entire OS, as opposed to just one app.

I don't think I could pin this down as a definite bug, since I don't have consistent steps to reproduce the issue, but because this occasionally happens, I guess you could say there's a weakness somewhere in Line 6's USB driver that is intermittently triggered by unplugging/plugging a device that uses that driver. Usually when it's happened to me, it's after I've plugged/unplugged the Pod numerous times, the computer has been on and not restarted for a long time, and the computer has been in and out of sleep mode several times since starting up.