Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

v2.6 is here! Global EQ is not?

Yay,

Just updated my 500X to v2.6 and about to have a blast through my Dream Rig!

Then I notice in the notes that it says under known issues "NOTE—Due to L6 LINK’s flexible routing, Global EQ is not available at this output.".

Does this mean that you won't actually be able to use this function (the most requested blah blah..) if all your gear is Line 6?

That's a shame.  I think that I'd rather have better control of the ones I have rather than a load more that I probably won't use...

I think we all realise that changes in the acoustics in different rooms plays havoc with Patch Sounds - I find that I sometimes have my DT25 on a chair or table even! and other times on the floor trying to control the treble across my carefuly crafted patches....

Will this be added for L6 Link at some point?

Thanks Zap..

That's a shame.  I think that I'd rather have better control of the ones I have rather than a load more that I probably won't use...

I think we all realise that changes in the acoustics in different rooms plays havoc with Patch Sounds - I find that I sometimes have my DT25 on a chair or table even! and other times on the floor trying to control the treble across my carefuly crafted patches....

Will this be added for L6 Link at some point?

Thanks Zap..

Yep I with you on this one. The Dream rig is sold mainly for a live use situations. The place a global EQ is mostly needed is in Live usage, but due spaces limitations etc.... it's not available for the flagship configuration. While it great to see Line 6 listened to the users and tried to find a way to shoe horn global EQ into it, it's real shame someone made the decision to move forward without finding a solution to the problem of it with L6 Link

It's a tough decision. The device architecture prohibits the global EQ for L6 LINK within DSP capacity. But it's just possible to squeeze it into the other outputs. So what to do? Withhold one of the most requested features from all users even though you could provide it to most, or go ahead and provide it to most?

in another post I heard that digital igloo was going to look into a global EQ for the master L/R L6Link send... the L6Link as it stands would require too much processing....

hope is not lost.... BUT.... no promises were made....

It's a tough decision. The device architecture prohibits the global EQ for L6 LINK within DSP capacity. But it's just possible to squeeze it into the other outputs. So what to do? Withhold one of the most requested features from all users even though you could provide it to most, or go ahead and provide it to most?

Find a way or an option.  What about an option to disable to looper or even a give up a block for the L6 users?  At least then it's available. Now if I setup a patch with basic overdrive and one amp.  I have plenty of DSP left.  But no option for the global EQ. I fully understand limiations of the hardware and platform. The POD itself has a lot of options and is setup around the concept that I can build a patch so complicated it can run it out DSP.  Seems these some alternative of a trade off would have made it.

I hear what you say about providing to most but, without doing this in a scientific way, I'm guessing the majority of Dreamriggers asked for (and expected) to get this feature when it was 'advertised' (ages ago).

Are there really so many more people with a 500X who arn't using L6 Link?  Its got to be a major purchase consideration for most?  Its the thing that makes it 'work'...

I hear what you say about providing to most but, without doing this in a scientific way, I'm guessing the majority of Dreamriggers asked for (and expected) to get this feature when it was 'advertised' (ages ago).

Are there really so many more people with a 500X who arn't using L6 Link?  Its got to be a major purchase consideration for most?  Its the thing that makes it 'work'...

I have no idea what the percentage actually is, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd imagine that the number of HD users who also own a DT is under 20%... But, really, I have no way of knowing.

It does seem like making the global eq available for at the master L/R should be doable. I would hope so at least. I can understand it not being there for the other output options. I don't really think global EQ would work too well for most of those scenarios anyway.

I've got a JTV into the HD500X, into a pair of L3t's.  I used to use the XLR's out, but based on another thread, I now use a pair of line outs, going into the main inputs of the L3Ts.  I only ever use the PA/Reference setting, so there is no loss not using the L6 Link.  In fact the output is hotter this way (by which I mean it's louder than I could ever use).  I now can use global eq, and I understand the reasons why it wouldn't be applied to the XLRs or Link6 out, and that is because the soundman would deal with these signals, not you.  Try the line outs, it is the best way I know of to hook things up.

This thread has the info I now refer to:

http://line6.com/support/topic/12826-xlr-way-quieter-than-14/?hl=volume

I've made some measurements you can find here. You'll see that the gain from Guitar(normal) to 1/4"(amp) out is -4.9dB while the gain from Guitar(normal) to XLR is -14.3 dB (and gain from Guitar(normal) to headphone is +10.5dB). In addition, the 1/4"(line) output is 6dB larger than 1/4"(amp).

I have no experience with the DT.  When doing my research, I thought the flexibility of the L3 was more what I needed.  Acoustic sounds, sharing with the keyboardist etc.  No regrets, I am really digging in.  I use PA/Reference mode exclusively, so that's why I can ignore the L6 link (except between the two L3Ts).

A bit of weight to carry, but I have been getting sounds that are just what I'm after.

I was using a keyboard amp to get as 'uncoloured' sound as I could but the DT has such a better tone im glad I switched. Yes, its heavy but I try not to carry it too far! I've managed to split acousric patches so I send a feed to the PA through the fx loop then pretty much use the DT as a monitor with a greatly reduced volume.

Horses for courses....