Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hum,Buzz - HD500X - did i get a bad unit?

mark51969

Hello all,

My problem with my HD500x is humming and buzzing, mostly with LED lighting and neon lightning. My first 2 gigs with the unit were all quiet, we were using my drummers Chauvet 4-bar mini LED lights. The third gig and every gig from then on, with the same setup, I got this loud buzzing through my HD500x. It was so loud, it was unusable. Shutting the lights off got rid of it. Now picking up buzzing from neon lights in the bars as well as other buzzing at different locations, some bars worse than others. I tried another power supply - no luck. Tried an Ebtech Hum x - no luck. Tried an ABS power filter - no luck. I'm running straight into the PA through XLR's and using the 1/4 inch outs to my monitor. The ground lift does nothing. Pad switch is at normal, output set to Studio/Direct. Noise gates help a little but the LED buzzing is too loud to gate. I'm running out of options here. I love the sound of the HD500x but the noise issue is killing me. It seems every place I play has some buzz issue. Anyone else have these issues? I can't understand why the first 2 gigs I played were fine and now I got noise. The only thing different is that I tweaked the patches, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I'm thinking I may have gotten a bad unit since I can't find a solution. Thanks for any help....

No hum with the guitar unplugged, now I'm looking at the shielding on my guitar. I'm thinking the Pod is way too sensitive to ground noise and other interference...I thought the Pod would make my life easier, not the case so far.

It appears that you have proven that the noise is coming from your guitar and not the HD500. Are you playing something like a Stratocaster with single coil pickups by any chance? Single coil pickups are so good at picking up noise and hum that someone went and incented the humbucking pickup.

I found that at bar gigs you really have to turn off any neon signs that are too close to the stage if anybody in the band uses single coil pickups.

-Max