Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High gain with Stagesource dream rig

I play very little high gain stuff in the band but have noticed that when I do need a tone more saturated than my usual crunch I struggle to get it to cut through. I am using an JTV-VDI-HD500-L3m as the rig. I seem to get the best results with the Treadplate but I would be interested to see how you guys set up the patch to cut through.

Thanks in advance. 

I highly recommend patches by meambobbo (a high gain and all-around POD HD guru!).  http://line6.com/customtone/profile/meambobbo/

I'm not sure if the following page is totally current, because I read recently that he had done some recent updates to the information, but this is an outstanding resource for POD HD users:  http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

less gain, more amp models! try to use dual amp models, dial back the gain, turn up volume, and on one copy of the amp model change the cab to the Hiwatt 4x10.

Also, I find a very interesting sound can be made using a JTV, but setting up dual amp models, and splitting the VDI, by sending variax mags to one amp model, and variax models to the other amp model. If you pan them hard, it creates a cool thick almost chorus like sound; if you pan them less hard, it sort of congeals a bit more; just thickens up.

Especially doing similar or complementary amp and guitar model tones. So, two copies of the same amp model, with maybe different cabs, and one gets the mags - and only the mags, The other gets the models, which since you can change them, you can do subtle tonal shifts but changing around the amp models.

For extreme / weird tones, try blending the sitar through high gain, paired with the mags. Wild..

less gain, more amp models! try to use dual amp models, dial back the gain, turn up volume, and on one copy of the amp model change the cab to the Hiwatt 4x10.

Also, I find a very interesting sound can be made using a JTV, but setting up dual amp models, and splitting the VDI, by sending variax mags to one amp model, and variax models to the other amp model. If you pan them hard, it creates a cool thick almost chorus like sound; if you pan them less hard, it sort of congeals a bit more; just thickens up.

Especially doing similar or complementary amp and guitar model tones. So, two copies of the same amp model, with maybe different cabs, and one gets the mags - and only the mags, The other gets the models, which since you can change them, you can do subtle tonal shifts but changing around the amp models.

For extreme / weird tones, try blending the sitar through high gain, paired with the mags. Wild..

Thanks Colonel, I'll try that!

• Upvote 1