Photo

Spider Iv 75 - Volume "sputtering" Fluctuations

Best Answer stevedenney , 03 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Just returning to my post to put in a follow up. I did indeed have to get the main board replaced. So far the problem has not recurred. 

RickySamosa, I would agree with fflbrgst's advice. Try a factory reset, and make sure you're running the latest firmware on both amp and shortboard (if you have one). If your problem continues, get thee to a service center, as it's not likely to resolve itself. The master volume pot is the only "analog" control on the amp (I think), and it may be something as simple a flaky pot or solder joint. Good luck.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevedenney

stevedenney

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MA

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into a similar issue. I bought my Spider IV 75 + Shortboard FBV MkII about 11 months ago, and I like it very much. But I've noticed a problem developing over the last few months. At some point during a gig, the volume will start fluctuating rapidly - I can only describe it as a "sputtering" sound, almost like it's cutting in and out. It started doing this a few months ago, and seems to be happening more often - at least once if not more often a night. I'm fairly certain it's the amp itself, as I've swapped guitars, patch cords, the Cat 5 cable for the shortboard, and even run without the shortboard connected, but still the problem occurs. I've also done a factory reset, and checked the master volume pot - as best I can tell, it's not scratchy or physically damaged. This occurs on a number of different patches, so not limited to a particular tone. I'm speculating at this point, but it almost seems as if it might be a flaky solder joint or other component that gets intermittent once warmed up. Any other suggestions to try from Line 6 land before I haul the amp into a service center?  Thanks in advance.

#2 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2713 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

i think you got a problem for the techs to solve, unless you can get schematics and functional description and know a little about electronics.

I'M SO HAPPY!

#3 stevedenney

stevedenney

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Hi toneman,

Yep, I think you're right. I do know a bit about electronics (enough to be dangerous), but with the amp under warranty, the service center is probably my smartest option. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem - didn't want to overlook any possible easy fixes. Thanks.

#4 RickySamosa

RickySamosa

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a Spider Valve 112 mk2 and came across this post. Like previous posts I love this amp however, whilst not exactly the same issue as stevedenney, I too am experiencing a bit of an issue with the master volume. On gig and rehearsal levels there's no problems - channel volume at 12 o'clock, master at 10 o'clock, its when I use the amp at home at lower volumes the niggles begin. Still with channel volume at 12 o'clock and bringing the master up from zero, I get a couple of dead spots on the master volume round the 7 o'clock mark. The only way I've found to circumnavigate this is to dial the channel volume back and then bring the master volume up beyond these 'dead spots'. 

So I guess my question would be that does it warrant a trip to a service center for a replacement pot, as I'm assuming that this pot is no different to any other carbon/conductive plastic track type of pot and the issue I'm experiencing is not down to some weird interaction between channel and master volumes. Thanks

#5 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

If your amp is under warranty, definitely get it to a service center for evaluation.  The problem is unlikely to fix itself!

#6 stevedenney

stevedenney

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:31 PM   Best Answer

Just returning to my post to put in a follow up. I did indeed have to get the main board replaced. So far the problem has not recurred. 

RickySamosa, I would agree with fflbrgst's advice. Try a factory reset, and make sure you're running the latest firmware on both amp and shortboard (if you have one). If your problem continues, get thee to a service center, as it's not likely to resolve itself. The master volume pot is the only "analog" control on the amp (I think), and it may be something as simple a flaky pot or solder joint. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users