Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The new Variax Set List

maxnew40

Can anyone post information on what this new Variax set list contains?

From the name it appears to be preset tones using a Variax, but I would love to see some details on what they are. What amps and Variax modeled guitars, etc..

-Max

I was able to use the link to download the Variax setlist and then open it with the latest version of HD500 Edit. Note that you will probably need the latest editor. Heven't tried it, but the old version likely won't work with the new setlists. You can see all the details you are wanting in the edit program without  your HD device connected.

I didn't really want to have to download the package just to see if there was anything that interested me. So far I have not used a single preset tone that comes with HD500, so I doubt that I would end up using any of them anyway. I do however use a JTV variax for gigging.

-Max

Again, I am not trying to influence you.... just want to make sure you are clear about the options....

You began this thread asking for someone to post info on the Variax setlist. Someone did that, in the form of the entire downloadable set list file. You can download just the new HD500 Edit program to your computer and inspect the full details of the setlist without connecting your HD500 device. There is NO need to download or install firmware on either your HD500 or JTV. The risk of damaging anything to do with your gigs is nil. After answering your own questions about the Variax setlist you can delete the setlist file and uninstall the Edit program.

Seems to me your question and request has been fully answered. But if you don't want to do it after all, well that's up to you.

• Upvote 2

Silverhead, I am sure you weren't being condescending on purpose, I must not have written my responses well.

My request was simply and precisely for a list of what those presets contain, not a file I have to download and load into HD edit, and extract all the information one preset at a time, which I can't do from work where I am at for most of the day.

I actually didn't think it was unreasonable to think that Line 6 has actually documented these presets or set lists in a text format somewhere that users can access them. So are you telling me that Line 6 doesn't have a document that describes the presets on file anywhere, or is this information just not for public dissemination? I work in software development and the thought that something like these presets and set lists not being documented is mind boggling.

-Max

• Upvote 1

I certainly did not mean to be condescending.

No, there is no such detailed information provided by Line 6. The only way to get it (unless someone wants to manually compile it for you) is by the method described here.

The amount of detailed information in a Setlist is huge. 64 presets, each with dozens or hundreds of parameters depending on the complexity of the presets. And the detailed settings potentially change with every firmware release. Now compound that by the number of product lines and models that Line 6 makes. I think their approach of making this available through electronic files (presets) and tools (editors), rather than redundant text files, makes perfect sense.

Any user can use these tools to create their own text files, in whatever amount of detail they desire.

What would actually be nice is for Line 6 to develop some reporting utilities within the Editor, or as standalone tools. Some users in the past have gone to the trouble of attempting to reverse engineer the preset files in some product lines to create the sort of text based description you ask for. However, those efforts were rather rather short lived.

IMHO the Variax Set List has some of the most usable factory tones in the unit. I only have 2 issues that bug me...

1) the volume seems very low on all presets in this set list compared to the other factory presets

2) most of the tones are in alt tunings. In all my years of playing I just never got around to learning to play out of standard tuning except for a few tunes in DADGAD. I figure if I like the tones and don't know how to play in those tunings I can just copy the set list and change all the tunings to standard and save that until I get some alt tuning ability under my belt.

There are a couple of dual tones set up to play Variax modeled and mag pick ups. It's been so long since I read the advanced guide I forget how to get both playing at the same time. Can someone help me out and give me  the answer as how have both Mags and modeled on at the same time? I was going to DL the newest advanced guide and model gallery but nothing new is posted yet before I start reading for the answer again..

To get both Mags and Models you need to use the VDI connection. Then in Inputs you select Input1=Variax and Input2=Variax Mags (or vice versa). The Variax selection provides the Model and the Variax Mags provides..... you guessed it.

I thought I remembered that was the way to do it.

Been messing with the Variax set list and I wonder if there's some bugs in some of the presets.

Here's some potential problems I've found on my JTV69, JTV59 and HD500 - (I doubt it's just my equipment) with the Variax set list:

1C Sitar - can't get any mag sound - it's set up the way you say from Line 6

3C Banjo - same... - no mags audio

11C Guild 12 String... - no mag audio

11A Du Hast...  no JTV saved under VDI Input on HD500 Edit Mixer Page

15C Acoustic 5th - NO model saved under Model spot on Mixer Page

can anyone else confirm same problems?

I know that I can blend in WB and/or set up a patch to alternate between modeled and mags with an exp pedal or set up a dual tone with both on at the same time but these patches don't work like they should. I can create my own patch and have the mags work when selecting Variax Mags on the input but these patches don't have any mag audio. I try to mute the channel that has the modeling and get zero out of the mag side of the patches I mentioned above that are dual with mags and modeled. Anybody else find these patches not working correctly or know of a solution? No big deal - but just trying to determine if the new FW update screwed up or the patches are corrupt.

Ok, I guess it is up to the user community to document these. I know I don't have the time to go through all of them. I might load them up someday to play around and see if any of them give me a good starting point to develop a tone.

-Max

• 3 weeks later...

Please repost the Variax setlist.. !!!

That link doesn't work above anymore..

I'm in a bad way - I bought the bundle model pack..

I updated firmware to 2.6...

THEN I updated firmware to 2.62 blasted my tones..

AND

All I need is the Variax set list (I rebuilt everything else from backup)..

I REALLY don't want to flash again?... (I have (2) HD500X's and it's a hassle)...

That link doesn't work above anymore..

Thanks,

John

ALLRIGHT - It was my browser.. ha.. IE didn't work and Firefox did.. derr...