Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording levels on M20d

I've found that when recording channels plus main mix that the resulting recording is not very loud. Is there a way to increase the levels for recording purposes without increasing the output of the main mix? It seems that a low volume performance turns into a low volume recording.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The signal to the recorder is tapped right after the input trim and ADC. So your only control would be the input trim. But if your overall levels are good, I doubt you'd want to crank the input trim just to get a hotter recording level.

If you transfer the recorded tracks to a computer (a DAW), then you can amplify without any added noise, so it isn't really a problem. As long as the quietest parts make it to the recording you'll be fine in the digital domain.

I have found that individual track recorded levels are higher than a main outs recording.

BUT I've recently started creating a fresh main outs recording from the individual inputs recordings by capturing the main outs via a two channel interface into my DAW then exporting to MP3 from the DAW. Yields a really good recording.

• 2 weeks later...

The main mix is being recorded after the master fader. This means that its level depends on where the master fader is set. This is necessary to avoid a situation where the recording could be clipping while the audible mix is not. The mixing is happening in 32 bit floating point and has to go out the 24 bit output. While the 32 bit floating point part is impossible to clip the 24 bit one is. The not attenuated pre- master fader signal could clip when going to 24 bits.

Yah, like said before it's the trim level. It's low to prevent clipping during live operation. 

I just normalize all files to 0db when I import them to the DAW. No biggie.. I do that to all recordings anyway because I like all the tracks with roughly the same gain to make the faders a better visual presentation of the relative levels. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this issue.  I installed the M20D for a board room.  They need to record directly to the SD cards to transpose the minutes of the meetings.  If I set all the levels to sound good for the room, the recorded levels are almost inaudibly low.  If I set the levels to record loud enough (which means setting the trim and outputs very high) then the sound quality is very poor in the room because I can't turn the amps up very much.  Mixing in a DAW isn't an option because they just want to take the SD card home and pop it in their laptop and then transpose it.

Any ideas?

.... If I set the levels to record loud enough (which means setting the trim and outputs very high) ......

You should not need to set the outputs high; just adjust the trim levels. The recorded signal for each channel is tapped just after the trim, and no channel processing is applied. Each channel is recorded dry to the SD card. The mixed wet stereo output signal is also recorded with all channels processing applied, but 'they' shouldn't need that. They should be able to transpose the dry channel signals to their laptop from the SD card and then do whatever processing they want, if any, using whatever software tools they want. You could probably advise them on simple solutions for that. Sounds like a simple software mixer with some EQ and reverb would suffice. There are probably free versions of these available.

Then set your outputs low enough that your in-room amp/speakers can sound good.

The main mix output is the one that they generally would be listening to. I am recording main mix and inputs the inputs just so they can go to a specific mic if they need to boost and hear something.

If I turn up the trim, the affects the level of the mica as well, correct?

I have to have the main outs at +5 or higher and the inputs at +5 or higher and the trim at +40 to get any decent recording levels.

I am mixing 10 condensor conference mics.

I was able to easily import and boost the signal in GarageBand but they just want to take it from the SD card and listen to it. I tried using VLC and that let me boost it to 125% volume. Anyone know any windows based free gain booster software for them to play it through?

Each of the 10 mics has its own input channel, right? And phantom power is on? Correspondingly, each channel has its own trim setting. Are each of these sufficiently high?

Sounds to me, with output levels as high as you mention, that the individual input trim settings may be too low.

I noticed the main outs mix is quite queiet too, even when blasting it out the main speakers! I've recently started playing back the full gig recording (raw input recordings) via the M20d and capturing them to a fresh stereo input track in my DAW by running it through a 2 channel audio interface (Roland Duo-Capture EX).

I think Arne gave an explanation about why the master outs are at a lower than expected level.

I'd not be suggesting doing anything with your input trims UNLESS they are set incorrectly for the mics being put through the M20d. Run auto trim on them with someone talking at te usual conference levels, then turn OFF trim tracking.