Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Voicing Setting

JaseFIJo

I've hooked up my HD500 to the DT50 head (line6 link) and have a few patches switching various pre amps in and out.  My question is what happens when you disconnect the HD500?  The reason for this question is does the HD head remember the last pre amp selected on the channel via the HD500 or does it revert back to the base settings in the head?  When I go guitar direct to the jack with no HD500 the DT50 is the base condition "out of the box" other changes on the front dials.   

I'm just a little confused on how this routing works.

When you switch channels A to B and back the head will remember the configuring set from the previous time the channel was used how does the HD500 effect/interact with this.

Thanks

When you use an HD, connect via L6 Link, and have an amp model in path A, the DT bypasses its preamp models and just runs the power amp model you selected (default or changed via MIDI).

I think to rember that the DT comes up in the last used mode you selected when it was turned off. Don't know whether it just picks the associated preamp (w/o changing any power amp config changes to default) when you switch from Line6 Link to guitar direct. Just try it out.

Maybe it helps to understand that the Channel A/B and Type I/II/II/IV switches are really just schwitches to select 2 groups of 4 amplification programs. By default (or after a DT reset) the 4 programs for both channels A and B are associated with 4 pre-defined Amps (a preamp selection, a power amp feedback loop type, a power amp class A/B selection and tube pentode/triode selection). With the latest DT FW you can change this default setup including a couple other things like reverb type or the MIC model for the DT direct out.

In orther words, if go direct into the DT, the Type switch selects one of 4 amps (both preamp and power amp feed back loop) and you can use the other switches to divert from the defaults (and the tone controls to adjust the preamp model tone stack and reverb level).

On the other hand if go via Line6 Link, all the above applies, but the preamp model is bypassed (but not the reverb) if you have an Amp in path A of the HD. If you have no Amp in path A, the HD switches the DT to Channel B and the DT uses whatever amp configuration you have selected using the type switch on the DT (last time yo setup channel B).

There are some more hidden DT features you can tap into if its worthwhile to you, e.g., you can select a preamp in HD path A and then mute its output in the mixer. Then you can route your guitar signal (with or w/o effects or amp models to the DT via path B and hear the pure power amp tone (assuming no HD models) associated with the preamp selected in path A. I attached a 2-pager explaining this and 2 surprising discoveries in more detail.

Hope this helps,

Martin

DT25 Power Amp Parameters.pdf

• Upvote 1

I've hooked up my HD500 to the DT50 head (line6 link) and have a few patches switching various pre amps in and out.  My question is what happens when you disconnect the HD500?  The reason for this question is does the HD head remember the last pre amp selected on the channel via the HD500 or does it revert back to the base settings in the head?  When I go guitar direct to the jack with no HD500 the DT50 is the base condition "out of the box" other changes on the front dials.   

I'm just a little confused on how this routing works.

When you switch channels A to B and back the head will remember the configuring set from the previous time the channel was used how does the HD500 effect/interact with this.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but if memory serves, when you turn the HD off or disconnect the L6 link your DT will return to wherever it was before the L6 link was operative.  I'm pretty sure this is irrespective of what you did when using the HD, i.e. your amp doesn't "remember" the L6 link settings (but it might be worth testing to be certain if this is something that matters).  

Also, the HD takes over the DT's channel A, but not channel B.  So what I do is use channel A to tweak my patches (unless it's an FX) because it's easier to reach, and bend down to the HD to save the patch before kicking out of it.  If for whatever reason I want channel B, then I just kick the POD to a virgin patch or a patch with no amp.  

Generally I just use patches, though, because I use the modeled stomp boxes almost all the time.

• Upvote 1