Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to record through USB

tpodgorski85

Hi everyone

I've been looking for a comprehensive answer to this all over the Internet and somehow just cannot find a guide that would explain things from start to finish.

The question is: What do you do to achieve good sound when you connect a Line 6 POD HD (500, in my case) to a PC, using USB?

I've connected mine, installed Line 6 Monkey, made sure all software is up-to-date, set Studio/Direct output mode on the POD, set the POD as a soundcard (both for output and recording), but the sound is far from one would expect.

Here's a sample:
http://www.filedropper.com/line6directusbsample

I'm not an expert in recording or sound engineering - probably like most people who buy a POD and would like to have decent sound when hooking it up to a PC.

How are you monitoring your sound? You should be using the Pod audio outputs. Also, make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port, not USB 3, and make sure you are using the Pod's ASIO driver.

In at least my case, I had to switch to a USB 3 port. I was having problems on a USB 2 port. Go figure.

How are you monitoring your sound? You should be using the Pod audio outputs. Also, make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port, not USB 3, and make sure you are using the Pod's ASIO driver.

I connect it to USB 2.0 - but I can check 3.0 and let you know. I connect my headphones (http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM) to the Phones output on the POD and anything that comes from the PC through this output sounds fine (except the guitar, of course). As far as the drivers, I'm using the POD's ASIO, not ASIO4All (I uninstalled the latter).

Took a listen to the sample. What exactly are you hearing that you think is wrong? There's nothing there that immediately jumps out at me.

It sounds muffled. The EQ is set just like always, my favorite settings for using the POD with a guitar combo. But if you say it's OK as a starting point, then please let me know what I should do to make it better (like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDwFG9rquU), maybe point to an idiot-proof guide that I could understand :) 

As far as USB 3.0, my PC crashes when I connect the POD to 3.0. Luckily, I'm buying a new PC in 2 weeks. 

The samples in the video have the guitar double tracked and panned either left or right.

The sample in the flac file sounds a little heavy on the low end, which also makes the mids sound scooped. It sounds to me like the XXL V-30 cab, which has a lot of low end. I use this cab all the time. But something doesn't sound right to you, so try different combinations of cabs/mics until you find something you like, and then mess around with the amp's tone controls until you like it even more. Now you have a basic framework to build from if you want to add even more, like compressors, distortions, reverbs, delays, EQs, etc.

A good guide would be MeAmBobbo's.

the video sample doesn't even use the HD's cab sim, it uses impulses and an impulse driver int he DAW to substitute a different cab/mic..(According to the info for the video they use a guitarhack impulse)

so trying to make the pod sound like a video of a pod using an impulse will never happen...

it could be a speaker/cab/mic that the pod doesn't even simulate

A good guide would be MeAmBobbo's.

This guide is fantastic, thank you :)

the video sample doesn't even use the HD's cab sim, it uses impulses and an impulse driver int he DAW to substitute a different cab/mic..(According to the info for the video they use a guitarhack impulse)

so trying to make the pod sound like a video of a pod using an impulse will never happen...

it could be a speaker/cab/mic that the pod doesn't even simulate

Yeah, I noticed the info about the impulses, only that I had no idea what they are and what impact they can have. Should I consider using them?