Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Footswitch assignment HD500X

zosfeh

Hello everybody, my name is Vincent Verstappen and I'm new to this forum. Here is the thing, I'm looking for a new floorpedal and am very much interested in a HD500X but I was wandering if anyone could answer a question before I do buy it?

The footswitches FS1 till FS8 are assignable and I looked into the advanced guide to check which possibillities there are but could not find the answer I was looking for. So here it goes: Is it possible to assign all the footswitches as patches so there will be 8 patches instead of 4 (FS5 till FS8)? Normaly you can add up to 4 sounds with FS1 till FS4 to any footswitch of FS5 or FS6 or FS7 or FS8 and I would like to have 8 patches (presets) (is that called preset mode?)

I hope the question is clear enough, hope to hear from anyone, Thanks very much.

Welcome.

Not possible. It's either all effect toggle switches or 4 effect toggle switches with 4 patch change switches.

But the pod is flexible enough that switching patches may not even be a necessity, depending your needs.

Interesting idea.

That could become quite confusing though, unless you limit yourself to only 8 patch slots for each "virtual" bank, no more; each of the 8 patches would have to contain the same set of PC messages. So in effect you could create 8 banks of 8 patches in each setlist. And I can imagine it would still be confusing when wanting to switch banks. I can also imagine making each patch contain a different "set" of midi PC messages resulting in a tangled night-terror.

But, I'm not sure how this whole thing would work when wanting to change the 'virtual' bank. Obviously you can do that by using the up/down footswitches and then the a,b,c and d switches. But upon changing a patch, the pod sends out an automatic PC change message containing the patch you just selected using a,b,c or d. Does it change patches with your selection first (with the delay) and then send the PC change (with another delay), effectively changing patches twice?

Between FX on/off and switching between patches, those four patch switches, each with 4 on/off switches capable of controlling multiple fx with each switch. give you so many options that I always wonder what people have going on that they need more. I feel like a beginner that is missing out on life. 

And then you can repeat that same 4x4 128 times. 

Thanks for all the reply on this topic. Maybe I should explain why I think I need this option which maybe could be solved in an easier or other way with the HD 500X. Actually I only need this possibility for one song, Hotel California. At this moment I use a Boss GT-3 pedal which has 4 patches (switches) and a ctl switch, this is enough to make the magic happen in one bank. FS1 till FS4 are programmed with a harmonizer to play the harmonics during the verses (two guitar parts, you can play these parts by using 4 harmonizer tunings) When pressing the ctl switch while operating FS 1 it will shut of the Harmonizer so I can play the other parts without switching to another bank and change back to the harmonizer and so on.

The question is if it would be possible to do this kind of switching with a HD500X (in one bank). In other words is it possible to program FS5 till FS8 with the Harmonizer and program FS1 or 2 or 3 or 4 to shut down the Harmonizer in either one of these patches? (like sort of a ctl switch) That would solve the challenge.

Thanks again.

or use one 'variable' harmonizer that is controlled by the expression pedal. 

I think Jandrio (spelling corrected) has a HC patch,or series of patches, that covers the whole song. 

Either way, you can certainly play HC with the 500 in 1~4 mode. 

The 500 is a couple steps above your Boss. You don't need as many options on the 500 to do what you do on the Boss. 

• Upvote 1

first, I must say I'm a little surprised that to play "hotel california" you need more than one type of harmonization ..

having said that, using the POD in FS ABCD MODE (there is a specific SYSTEM SETUP page to change FS MODE) you use FS 5-8 to change the patches A-B-C-D and FS 1-4 to turn on/off live any effect you want within the same patch, or even more than one FX at the same time by using just one FS if you want (still within the same patch).. that's what you can do

there is no way to turn on/off a FX in more than 1 patch at the same time, if it is that what you mean..

the only FXs that are not patch dependent (ie global) are the Looper and the new Global Eq

Thanks for your reply, Turn on or of any effect within one patch is what I ment, that's great. By the way, with how many harmonization tunings do you play it?

Thanks for your reply, Turn on or of any effect within one patch is what I ment, that's great. By the way, with how many harmonization tunings do you play it?

Isn't that up to you; to know how many different parts you are playing? 

• Upvote 1

or use one 'variable' harmonizer that is controlled by the expression pedal. 

I think Jandario (sorry if I botched your name) has a HC patch,or series of patches, that covers the whole song. 

Either way, you can certainly play HC with the 500 in 1~4 mode. 

The 500 is a couple steps above your Boss. You don't need as many options on the 500 to do what you do on the Boss. 

Thanks for your reply. Can these patches you mention from Jandario be found somewhere?

Thanks for your reply. Can these patches you mention from Jandario be found somewhere?

Search by his name Jandrio on Customtone. 

Or wait for him to come around tohook you up. 

He has some videos posted somewhere of the patches at work. 

http://line6.com/support/topic/11487-how-2-approximate-hotel-california-harmony-with-ur-jtvhd500/?hl=hotel  

• Upvote 2

Search by his name Jandrio on Customtone. 

Or wait for him to come around tohook you up. 

He has some videos posted somewhere of the patches at work. 

http://line6.com/support/topic/11487-how-2-approximate-hotel-california-harmony-with-ur-jtvhd500/?hl=hotel

Jandrio does a great job on that song. Yes, covering two different solos, two different harmonies in the same song.

• Upvote 1

the link pianoguyy posted contains detailed info abt 'hotel california' solo harmonies.

u must use "B minor harmonic", "A major" and a small lick in  "B minor pentatonic".

just follow the abv link and download all 3 patches used plus a demo vid with the isolated guitar channel from an actual live performance.

john :)

ps

note that with those 3 patches u can play the whole song (downscale licks and intermediate solos) covering 4 guitar parts with just ur one 'n only  single guitar.

additionally, u need the 12string guitar-part plus the keyboard-part (we implement this via guitar synth) and the muted guitar-part.

just take a look at this 'complete-song-vid' (recorded with hand held vid camera on nother live show, poor sound, i know) 'n u will understand what i'm talking abt...

the link pianoguyy posted contains detailed info abt 'hotel california' solo harmonies.

u must use "B minor harmonic", "A major" and a small lick in  "B minor pentatonic".

just follow the abv link and download all 3 patches used plus a demo vid with the isolated guitar channel from an actual live performance.

john :)

ps

note that with those 3 patches u can play the whole song (downscale licks and intermediate solos) covering 4 guitar parts with just ur one 'n only  single guitar.

additionally, u need the 12string guitar-part plus the keyboard-part (we implement this via guitar synth) and the muted guitar-part.

just take a look at this 'complete-song-vid' (recorded with hand held vid camera on nother live show, poor sound, i know) 'n u will understand what i'm talking abt...

Thank you very much Jandrio :)

• Upvote 1