Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv's & Slide Guitar

I've got my 59 set-up so it plays well on the mags, but when I kick in the modeling.....well it sucks....
I'm looking into the string windings on the bridge ramp issue but any other tips/help would be kool.
It'd be nice to use the strat model without it sounding like I'm a killing a cat or sumthin'. I really haven't

heard much from the slide crowd here, so speak up!

Kylling It

When I first got my JTV59 I was delighted with it then I did what I normally do and restrung with 9's and it did not sound right playing slide on it at all so went back to D'Addario 10's and sounded as it used to and I find the 59 just as easy to play with 10's as I do on my Les Paul with 9's as the JTV has jumbo frets which makes it easier to bend. I can only assume that if you go up an other gauge it would sound better still for slide but I do a lot of bends in normal tuning so I am sticking with 10's.

There was an interesting post on here where a user was trying different makes of strings and some had said they had purchased a variety of makes but then there was no feed back as to what was best for them one guy said he thought Fender 10's were better and a few bought the nanoweb strings.

You will have to go into workbench to set your balance of mags V model roughly for the single coil mods I have added 6Db on the mags and 6db on the over all volume. My humbuckers I have wound down so that they are not too close to the strings I don't like powerful pups anyway and prefer the Amp and/or pedals to do the work and leave the pups to produce the tone plus I am a guy that is old fashioned and like to move my volume and tone pots to get what I like. 

6Db on the mags and 6db on the over all volume.

What I meant to say in the spank model was 6 db on the pickups selection in workbench and 6 Db on the preset volume then to make the spank model a bit less brittle I went into the pots setting in WB and set the tone pots at 7.5. On the T model I found on the bridge PUP it was not as bright as I remember the Tele so moved(dragged) the pup nearer towards the Bridge but did not alter the tone pots but again upped the volume similar to the spank model. I try to get the same volume between the mag pickups in the JTV and the modeled sound. Of coarse  in real terms the single coils would not be as loud as a humbucker if you had the real deal with you but I figured that it would save me altering patches on the pod for loudness between different pups modeled or otherwise.

I still find the Les Paul better sounding for slide when tuned to open tunings or Sevastopol tuning as with a strat  but do not miss taking 3 or more guitars to a gig so I suppose it is convenience over form which wins the day. I have been looking at the 2015 Les Pauls and quite like the idea of the updated G Force system but am holding on until I can get to demo one. I would still keep the JTV for the studio though.

I tested the Jtv59 with the variax cable to power the guitar from my Pod 500x and then tried it with a normal 1/4" guitar cable and found the guitar cable so much better tone wise so you might want to try that if you use the variax cable.