Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unwound Strings Sound Weak when Modeling is Engaged

When I first got my JTV59 last week, I changed the strings, using 9's, and lowered the action a bit. I am not sure if my issue is a string gauge or string height problem, but I am throwing it out there.

At rehearsal last week, I noticed my hi e, b and g strings sound weak in comparison to the rest of the strings and in comparison to the magnetic pickups. This is very pronounced on the hi e, especially on single-coil models, but it is there on humbucker models as well. It is at its worse when using a clean tone.

I have my string volumes at 100%. I was kind of disappointed to see I could not go above that. Boosting the hi e to 120% may have fixed the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

string volume inconsistency is something that has been complained about with the HD firmware for a while. You have to level out the strings either globally or by a patch-by-patch basis. If you think the signal is too low after you balance them out, then boost the patch level up.

• Upvote 2

+1 to clay-man

You can try reflashing the firmware on the JTV a few times to see if that alters anything - but if string volumes still out of whack for a particular model then you have to use WB HD to adjust accordingly as clay-man suggested.   You can boost the db's of each model patch if necessary.

• Upvote 1

I have my string volumes at 100%. I was kind of disappointed to see I could not go above that. Boosting the hi e to 120% may have fixed the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

It's a common issue, especially with the Strat and Tele models. Obviously you can't boost the volume past 100% for the problem strings, but you can lower the others to balance everything out...it's all relative. I have the low E and A strings as low as 50-60% for some models to compensate. Once it's all leveled out, all good.

• Upvote 1

If I remember correctly, in an old post from Psarkiasan @ L6 it was said that the guitar worked best with 10's.

Lighter strings vibrate in a smaller circle than heavier ones do and sound thin on the models-piezo's, IMHO, although they allow for a lower action height. Remember to go through your entire set-up when you change string gauges as it will change everything to a degree, intonation etc. 

The string  volume issue is a FACTORY defect with the  firmware as answered here.

Kylling It