Photo

Preventing Possible Damage To The Battery Caps Of Line 6 Xd-v Handhelds

battery cap battery compartment broken cap cracked cap xd-v handheld handheld xd-v xd-v ronmarton ron marton o ring

Best Answer RonMarton , 08 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

...I don't know if you can get this down under...

Thanks for the thought, toneman2121.

One of the many facts of 21st century life that we old fogeys find amazing ...is that we can now get pretty much anything from anywhere.

That page is pretty much where I started, but I felt that none of the others had anything to match the convenience of that "most common sizes" kit at the price, ...even with the cost of shipping to the antipodes.

"Case closed", I reckon. (Excuse the pun.) Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

Following our earlier discussion http://line6.com/sup...s-cracking-fix/, I promised I'd post the results of an experimental employment of an "O" ring from this $15 USD kit http://www.oringsusa...ooaktap6m8hfhl5.

Success ! (Or, at least I think so...)

Attached File  %22O%22 Ring Kit.jpg   328KB   60 downloadsAttached File  XD-V75 Atop %22O%22 Ring Kit.jpg   208.21KB   90 downloadsAttached File  Detail Of O Ring Fitting.jpg   87.11KB   97 downloadsAttached File  Detail With Ring Fitted.jpg   130.27KB   71 downloads

(Sign in and click on each thumbnail for a better view.)

The "fix" involves fitting a rubber "buffer" in the form of an AS568A Dash No: 212-sized "O" ring, that, before stretching, is a 1/8" thick circular "seal" with an inside diameter of 7/8" and an outside diameter of 1 & 1/8". (There are ten of most sizes in the kit.)

Here's how, in three simple steps:

1. Unscrew and remove the battery cap.
  2. VERY gently and carefully move the "O" ring towards the top of the thread and under the LCD "window" by first stretching it and then "rolling" it over the antenna "stub" and battery compartment. The latter must have batteries in it and be closed to provide as much stability as possible. Minimal force only.
  3. Once the "O" ring has become seated past the coarse plastic thread in the groove that's immediately adjacent to the mic's metal housing, carefully "massage" the rubber ring all the way around its circumference to ensure that it's evenly "bedded". 

Two vocalists and one MC who've experienced my handhelds "before" and "after" made unsolicited comments to the effect that this modification made my handhelds feel far less "slippery" and so far less likely to be dropped. In short, they loved it.

Smiles all around, as I thought (but didn't say) that the whole modification was largely brought about by some of those selfsame people possibly wreaking havoc through either overtightening or unscrewing the battery cap.

The "grip" and "buffer" effects imparted this way would indeed largely seem to be a "cure" for that, but there also seem to be yet more unanticipated benefits, in that this added rubber "protrusion" not only provides a tactile guide that helps keep hands away from masking the transmitting antenna, but also adds "slide-stopping" stability when the mic is slipped into a stand-mounted clip.

As you can see, it also "looks the part", ...but (as ever) only time will tell.

#2 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:57 AM

yo, 'sup, i don't know if you can get this down under but if you google "bulk o rings you get this;

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'M SO HAPPY!

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:23 AM   Best Answer

...I don't know if you can get this down under...

Thanks for the thought, toneman2121.

One of the many facts of 21st century life that we old fogeys find amazing ...is that we can now get pretty much anything from anywhere.

That page is pretty much where I started, but I felt that none of the others had anything to match the convenience of that "most common sizes" kit at the price, ...even with the cost of shipping to the antipodes.

"Case closed", I reckon. (Excuse the pun.)

#4 macheath

macheath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Hi Ron!

Do you think THIS (on Ebay) is "almost" the same kit?  ;)

...I'll just have to find the "metric-one" corresponding to the one that you've used.

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yes, Mackie...

That kit will do just fine, for under 8 Euro ! :)

As you will have noted from the above, the best "O" ring for the job will seem far too small at first and need to be stretched and "rolled" into place very carefully.

...I'll just have to find the "metric-one" corresponding to the one that you've used...

It seems to me you would be best trying to employ one with an approximate "resting" inside diameter of only 20mm and outside diameter of 28mm.

#6 macheath

macheath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:32 AM

Great!

Are you satisfied with this solution? In fact the only thing that perplexes me in my short test was the lightness of the Battery Caps (and the ease with which you unscrew: perhaps it is for this reason that people tend to overtighten it, screwing...)

I am afraid that buying a spare for the cap, in Italy, it may not be easy.

For the rest of the microphone is great! (To quote a friend: "other popular models seem doorphones, by comparison.")

#7 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

...the lightness of the Battery Caps (and the ease with which you unscrew: perhaps it is for this reason that people tend to over tighten it, screwing...)

I am almost certain that you are exactly right in suggesting that, macheath.

...Are you satisfied with this solution?...

More than just "satisfied", as you will have seen from the item I posted when starting this topic.

My five "later generation" handhelds never suffered that damage ...and I am now almost certain that they never will. 

#8 dougpke

dougpke

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Here is another possible fix for the battery caps if you need to ID your mics in the system.....:

994011_714849408540742_1371501564_n.jpg

The Shure WA615M Multi_Colored Handheld Transmitter ID Rings For T and UT Series Handhelds fit the Line 6 handhelds very nicely. The have a lip on the one end that kind of acts as a buffer between the battery cap and the rest of the body, much like Ron's o-ring solution. Going to get these for all our racks, we have four mics in each system.....

#9 nickinfrance

nickinfrance

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Here is another possible fix for the battery caps if you need to ID your mics in the system.....:

994011_714849408540742_1371501564_n.jpg

The Shure WA615M Multi_Colored Handheld Transmitter ID Rings For T and UT Series Handhelds fit the Line 6 handhelds very nicely. The have a lip on the one end that kind of acts as a buffer between the battery cap and the rest of the body, much like Ron's o-ring solution. Going to get these for all our racks, we have four mics in each system.....

That's very useful to know thankyou for that. I also spotted in that picture that you have fitted what looks to be a heil pr35 capsule. May I ask how you find it? I've heard good things about it. Did you remove the resistor from the capsule before fitting or is it 'as it came'? Is it a 70 or a 75? Sorry for all the questions!

#10 dougpke

dougpke

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

It is a Heil Sound RC35 microphone capsule. Just remove it from their box, and screw it on. The sound is awesome! You won't have anybody asking you to give them any "low end" on the mixer with that cartridge, and the mids and highs are smooth, light and airy. I love the sound of it. It is not the greatest if you are used to a capsule that has a little "pop" suppression to  it tho..... The handheld itself is the standard THH12 that come with the XD-V75 systems. I also have (4) XD-V70 systems, but all of the receivers and the handhelds have had their firmware updated via Monkey, so correct me if I'm wrong, but technically, I think that makes them v75's. I removed the end cap logos and sprayed them with Rust-oleum's Fusion paint for plastic (yellow, red & white) to add some additional visual IDing..... :)

#11 nickinfrance

nickinfrance

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

It is a Heil Sound RC35 microphone capsule. Just remove it from their box, and screw it on. The sound is awesome! You won't have anybody asking you to give them any "low end" on the mixer with that cartridge, and the mids and highs are smooth, light and airy. I love the sound of it. It is not the greatest if you are used to a capsule that has a little "pop" suppression to  it tho..... The handheld itself is the standard THH12 that come with the XD-V75 systems. I also have (4) XD-V70 systems, but all of the receivers and the handhelds have had their firmware updated via Monkey, so correct me if I'm wrong, but technically, I think that makes them v75's. I removed the end cap logos and sprayed them with Rust-oleum's Fusion paint for plastic (yellow, red & white) to add some additional visual IDing..... :)

Thanks for the info!  I went ahead and got myself an RC35 capsule and there are a few little issues with it.  I think i will need to upgrade the firmware in the receiver as i am still on the ver 1.0 xdv70 as the gain seems a little low to me.   Also, it could be just a feature of the gain structure currently, but do you find that performers using this capsule need to be really on the mic?  I'm finding that their lips need to be right on the basket.

#12 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

...Also, it could be just a feature of the gain structure currently, but do you find that performers using this capsule need to be really on the mic?  I'm finding that their lips need to be right on the basket...

Well Nick...

In responding, I'm guessing that my brief experience of Heil's fabulous cabled version (the PR 35) will tally with the "RC" version that's essentially a "demounted" version of the same capsule.

It seemed to me that the three jazz vocalists I observed were indeed initially a little surprised by the closer working distances involved, but soon enjoyed "working" the mic for proximity effect, ...much as they would have when using cardioid condensers such as Shure Beta 87c or Neumann's KMS 104.

(To my ears the PR 35's sound  had more in common with the hugely expensive latter than with the more "forward" mid-range typically offered by Shure.)

I guess the best description I can give is that the Heil offers control that's similarly progressive, but over a "working range" that's "shrunk" by roughly half to two-thirds, a property that would be very hard to judge if your capsule is indeed behaving in response to "...a feature of the gain structure currently...", as we both suspect is almost certainly the case.

#13 dougpke

dougpke

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

From my short experience with it, I have noticed that singers with a "mousy voice" do need to be closer to the capsule. I myself have a rather strong voice, and tend to back away from the capsule, and as Ron said, "work" the mic. I am, however, used to using beta 87's, so tonal properties are really what I notice more.....

#14 EBONSOLACE

EBONSOLACE

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

A POSSIBLE FIX ! ???

Though we thank you or at least I do, for offering up a solution to known issues with a countless number of  xd-v mic owners.

I think the band-aid method is not an answer to a problem that SHOULD NOT fall on our shoulders as consumers…

This alone IS PROOF it was and still is a badly flawed design, designed to FAIL.

And should be recalled…

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battery cap, battery compartment, broken cap, cracked cap, xd-v handheld, handheld xd-v, xd-v, ronmarton, ron marton, o ring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users