Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My JTV59 arrived today. Some good things and some strange things I found.

Hello everyone,

I have been chomping at the bit waiting for my 59TS to be delivered. On first inspection I found this crack where the neck meets the body. 

It's going back to AMS. 

In the mean time, since I have no access to JTV59s around here, I thought I would check it out. This guitar feels and plays very well for me. Night and day difference from the 300 I used to own. I did run into some strange issues though.

I turned the Alt Tuning knob fully CCW to the Model setting, the guitar played in standard tuning. When I moved one notch to STANDARD, the guitar played in Drop D. I did a reset via the manual with no change. Maybe I'm missing something here.

The way I understand it, you just press the Alt Tuning Knob when you want two access the other two of the five positions, (531, then press Alt Tuning Knob for 432). There is no apparent change when I press the knob. I should be able to leave the pickup toggle switch to the neck or bridge position and just press the Alt Tuning Knob and it should change, right?

When I opened HD Workbench with the JTV-VDI-HD500X-USB to my MAC, the icon in the top left hand corner was of a JTV89. I thought that was rather odd. The manual does show a JTV59 in that location so I'm thinking it should identify whatever you have plugged in.

I did not realize it until after I ordered this guitar, but of the seven JTV59s available, six were made in October 2014 and the one I picked was made in June 2013. That seems like a long time to be on the AMS website. 

I did update to the latest Monkey, Drivers, Flash, 500X and HD Workbench before starting all this. 

Anyone ever see or hear this kind of thing before?

Did I mention I really liked the feel of this guitar? A lot of the electric models sound really good out of the box. The acoustics will probably sound much better through an FRFR like my Passport 150. I have not tried it yet. The 12 strings are going to need some tweaking though. Hell, they could all improve with tweaking, right?

I'm looking forward to posting only praises after this is handled and I get another JTV59.

Thanks for reading!

The crack, plus what appears to be some other wear and tear and crud in that pic screams "used guitar". Was it a demo model?

The tuning knob issues suggests the same thing. Using Workbench, you can assign any tuning you want to the various positions on the switch. Sounds like someone changed things around.

Yeah I'd send it back too. That crack & malfunctioning controls sound like it was used and abused - a non starter for sure. You should recieve a better instrument than than unless you got a sizable discount & knew about those things up front.

When I spoke to a rep before I ordered this 59, I specifically asked him if this was a new guitar. He said it was a "factory sealed product". The factory tape was cut because AMS will "inspect" the guitar to "make sure all is well" and to take pictures for their website. That should be a good thing but now I am suspicious. When I asked the guy I spoke to (for a return label) about the alt tunings being different, he went with "the techs will change them to make sure they work". I know they take pictures and I could believe they do a visual inspection but I find it hard to believe they alter the alt tunings (much less never restore them to factory settings).

They were asking $1200 for the tobacco burst models and $1000 for the cherry and black. I found an ad on reverb.com asking $898 for a new cherry sunburst. They matched the price. I really did not notice that of the 7 tobaccos, 6 were made on 10/14. I did not know at the time that the first 4 numbers are the date of manufacture. Of course the one I liked best from the pictures was made on 06/13. In retrospect, I now wonder why that guitar was there so long.

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know someone else's thinking is on the same track as mine.

When I spoke to a rep before I ordered this 59, I specifically asked him if this was a new guitar. He said it was a "factory sealed product". The factory tape was cut because AMS will "inspect" the guitar to "make sure all is well" and to take pictures for their website. That should be a good thing but now I am suspicious. When I asked the guy I spoke to (for a return label) about the alt tunings being different, he went with "the techs will change them to make sure they work".

Changing which tunings are assigned to each switch position "to make sure they work", is roughly equivalent to driving from NY to Philly "to make sure there's gas in the tank". There's no earthly reason to do that.

I'd get my money back and shop elsewhere. Lord knows what would show up in the next box...

• Upvote 1

Shop Sweetwater like Charlie says.....2 year guarantee for free & you get to look at all the ones in stock BEFORE you buy. Pick out the top you like best and notice they even tell the weights of each guitar. Some like 'em heavier, some lighter.

My 59 is a well made getbox and you shouldn't have anything even close to what you got as a NEW? guitar.

Kylling It

I typically go with Sweetwater; when I need to spread out the payments; I look for payment plan deals on AMS and ZZounds (same company - compare the serial #'s, they are selling the same guitars.. exact same company; different websites..)

Anyway, I had a good experience with AMS recently; bought a sweet custom 24 PRS from them last month, on a 12 payment option. 

Bought my JTV59 from Zzounds last year on an 8 payment plan.

Waiting for Sweetwater to ship my PRS S2 sometime in mid-May when it arrives; on 36 months no interest Sweetwater credit card..

Bought my first DT25 from Zzounds, 8 payments

Bought my second DT25 from Sweetwater and an HD500x, in three payments

Bought two L3m's from Zzounds, 8 payments

Bought my M20d, and pair of L2t's from Sweetwater on a regular credit card.

In all of that, had zero issues with quality, or any problems.

It's always worth shopping around - but Sweetwater offers that two-year warranty on the gear they sell, and that makes a big difference in the value to me.. The no interest options are the best; charging stuff up on a regular credit card only works if you can pay it down right quick. Otherwise, interest just adds up quick..

But yeah; old new is not new new, and AMS should apologize and get you a proper replacement. These guitars have been around a while now, and some retailers are just eager to unload inventory they have been sitting on for too long. Price matching should NOT mean you get the beat up, dinged up 'new' guitar, that should be sold as a 'scratch and dent' - not a price match for a proper 'new' item.

That's how free market works; you have a million different options for where to buy things!

On a side note, check out this listing from Reverb.com for a 'used' effects pedal......For $7,500!!!!

https://reverb.com/item/485022-jerry-garcia-s-mutron-3

"Jerry Garcia's Mutron 3.  I bought this at an auction from Dan Healy, who was the Grateful Dead's sound engineer for over 20 years. This is a well known pedal that had features written about it and the auction in newspapers, magazines etc. I found out about the auction originally in Relix magazine. 

The white markings on it were written by Jerry in the studio while recording. He took a white grease pen from where they were splicing tape to mark his favorite settings. This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy a personal item that was used often by a true music superstar. It is in working condition and sounds great. it comes with complete documentation including a hand written letter from Dan on GD stationary."

h5u7zsaeecflqve9oafq.jpg

On a side note, check out this listing from Reverb.com for a 'used' effects pedal......For $7,500!!!!

I'm reminded of the old George Carlin routine..."If you nail together two things that have never been nailed together before, some schmuck will buy it from you". $7500 for a pedal because Jerry Garcia sneezed on it once or twice? Please...

As destined as I am to die in debt, I'd sooner tear up $7500 and use it to line a hamster cage.

He sneezed on; and he drew those little white lines on it for the setting markers; probably used it for the recordings they did of Estimated Prophet, stuff like that. If you owned a football team and collected Jerry stuff , then $7,500 sure why not! But actual value? No way!!!

On a side note, the Line6 model of this effect is $7,000 less, though a bit trickier to dial in.. :)

http://line6.com/support/topic/8401-tron-up-soundclip/

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/you-can-own-one-of-jerry-garcias-mu-tron-pedals/

Same pedal was on eBay in 2013 - white marks in the same places, pretty specific setting ideas!!

T2eC16NHJGE9nm3orBRO9LzgSQ60_57-575x355.

Talk nice to the man and get a smokin' deal on a SKB hard case, some free strings and they even threw in a Levy strap when I got my 59.

Kylling It

Aw darn,  maybe I coulda got some stuff from having to return Variaxes 2 times. Oh well, having a working guitar is all I ask for.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will be sure to do a better job of shopping around next time. They received it yesterday (5/5). I was told yesterday it only takes about 24 hours to get your money back. I was told today it takes 2-5 days after they receive it to return my money.  I will have to wait a little while before I make another purchase.

Thanks all!

He sneezed on; and he drew those little white lines on it for the setting markers; probably used it for the recordings they did of Estimated Prophet, stuff like that. If you owned a football team and collected Jerry stuff , then $7,500 sure why not! But actual value? No way!!!

On a side note, the Line6 model of this effect is $7,000 less, though a bit trickier to dial in.. :)

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/you-can-own-one-of-jerry-garcias-mu-tron-pedals/

Same pedal was on eBay in 2013 - white marks in the same places, pretty specific setting ideas!!

T2eC16NHJGE9nm3orBRO9LzgSQ60_57-575x355.[/

I worked with a couple of decent jazz musicians when I was a teenager who played keyboards and electric violin through those Mutron things.Sounded like absolute crap.I could never understand why good players want to play beautiful lines through God awful sounding devices. I guess they were stoned/bored/ or bored/ stoned or just wanted to be like Jerry.

T2eC16NHJGE9nm3orBRO9LzgSQ60_57-575x355.[/

I worked with a couple of decent jazz musicians when I was a teenager who played keyboards and electric violin through those Mutron things.Sounded like absolute crap.I could never understand why good players want to play beautiful lines through God awful sounding devices. I guess they were stoned/bored/ or bored/ stoned or just wanted to be like Jerry.

But it was Jerry's...so it must be good. Where's my wallet? Baffling... :wacko: