Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best tone tips

Antman74

Hi

I've created several patches that I'm pleased with. Just wondered how anyone else sets up patches. I've found (using the edit software) that 2 amps appear to sound more dynamic that say a noise gate...compressor...amp....reverb etc.

I've tried to get a nic accoustic sound but this seems to be the hardest to achieve?. Any tips on amp and settings?.

Also looking for a nice Metal sound and U2 delay settings....any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks

You can not get a real nice acoustic guitar tone from a conventional amp and speaker because it does not cover enough of the needed frequency range.

What exactly are you doing to try and achieve the acoustic sound? I assumed ( and maybe incorrectly ) that you meant acoustic guitar.

I run my Jtv modelling guitar thru the amplifi 75 with no amp loaded into it. This essentially makes it an FRFR type powered monitor.

Then I can use my Hd 500x with amps and cabinet models for electric tones, or turn off the amps on the HD as well and use the JTV guitar for some very convincing acoustic guitar sounds.

"

The FRFR acronym stands for " full range flat response ". This will give the best sound without colouring a natural acoustic sound.

Many users will tell you the same thing, you won't get a true acoustic sound thru a conventional guitar amp.

• Upvote 1

Acoustic : I use the acoustic amp for the acoustic sounds, a bit of chorus (dimension) an digital or analog delay, either acoustic amp and delay with chorus. Always reverb at the end (plate usually)

Metal: hard gate, screamer, treadplate, eq that boost 800hz and 1500,  E.R. 0, low cut between 120 and 200. room reverb. If lead, same with a bit icrease of volume and digital delay before the reverb.

If jcm 800 is used relpace screamer with heavy distortion, other same as above. (original 800, not remastered, i find the original much better)

Clean: tube compressor, amp, dimension, maybe digital delay, room reverb and maybe spring reverb after the room.

Rock  <80: gate (set to minimum) tube drive or colour or jumbo (depends, any of the old one), tube or tape delay, supro or plexi or park, or AC15, room or chamber reverb.

Rock >80: gate, tube or screamer , or line6 pedal, jcm 800, or plexi, or soldano, delay (digital) room or chamber reverb.

Blues: maybe tube comp or tube drive, bassman or 45, analog echo, room reverb and spring.

Country: tube comp. lux vibrato, chorus (analog) room and maybe spring.

Jazz : tube comp, blackface dbl normal or gibtone, or engl at min. settings of drive and master  , analog chorus, room.

Almost always DEP cab  resonance level at 0

Regarding edge delay check this : http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

• Upvote 3

Many users will tell you the same thing, you won't get a true acoustic sound thru a conventional guitar amp.

+1...You can spend the rest of your life trying, but if you're driving the POD through a traditional head and cab (or power-amp/cab), or combo amp, the acoustic sounds will always be disappointing. Electric guitar amps just aren't built for that frequency range.

• Upvote 1

+1...You can spend the rest of your life trying, but if you're driving the POD through a traditional head and cab (or power-amp/cab), or combo amp, the acoustic sounds will always be disappointing. Electric guitar amps just aren't built for that frequency range.

This is why I went FRFR. I needed a really good acoustic guitar model/sound. I play a lot of classical acoustic sets.

IMOHO It's the best set-up for all around use if you don't need the horsepower for a BIG, BIG venue.

Great tone without having to pile on every effect known to man--------keep it simple. Don't try to overpower everything like Arislaf &  Cruzin' says.

Plus, How nice is it to have all the models usable AND sound good?

Kylling It